AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amado View Post
What I don't like of the REFDAC is the line stage, why another one ?
You have to manually put the volume to a desire level.
Can you understand why I'm trying to say ?
I'm a 95% of time a vinyl guy. I have for a DAC a $400 unit (wyred4sound), imagine that.
Most of the time my server first use if for let my tubes warm up or when I have visitors and drinks are a most.
The sound is very good from the MS-1 but not even close from what I got from the analog side of my system.
I now if I use the DaC8 will be something else. How then are connecting your RefDac ?

And thank you for your kind words.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Amado. I hear you and understand. The Ref DAC offers the most to someone looking for a digital only solution and has moved to streaming ripped music. For that person, the unit serves as streamer, DAC and preamp. And the price offers value as many combos of those three devices can equal it's asking price

Using the Ref DAC as only a DAC makes the price/performance equation tougher and for many the DAC8 will make more sense. I am more in this category and use the ref DAC to stream from my naim HDX and HIgh Rez server. I run the volume at 65(has to be set each listening session) but the analog output stage is much better than DAc8. I wish it could have been ordered as a fixes output device... But in talking with ARC. 65 is the closest to eliminating the attenuator

I would bring one in and try

I love vinyl and have same phono as you. But I am also amazed at my digital front end now
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Mark if you had come by to see DC and I at your local ARC dealer a few weeks ago you might think differently.
Car troubles kept me from being there.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Amado. I hear you and understand. The Ref DAC offers the most to someone looking for a digital only solution and has moved to streaming ripped music. For that person, the unit serves as streamer, DAC and preamp. And the price offers value as many combos of those three devices can equal it's asking price

Using the Ref DAC as only a DAC makes the price/performance equation tougher and for many the DAC8 will make more sense. I am more in this category and use the ref DAC to stream from my naim HDX and HIgh Rez server. I run the volume at 65(has to be set each listening session) but the analog output stage is much better than DAc8. I wish it could have been ordered as a fixes output device... But in talking with ARC. 65 is the closest to eliminating the attenuator

I would bring one in and try

I love vinyl and have same phono as you. But I am also amazed at my digital front end now
Had ARC developed a DAC-8 with the analog output stage from the Ref 5SE, I think they would have had a bigger hit on their hands than with the REF DAC. I also think an updated CD-8 with digital inputs allowing it to b used as an outboard DAC also with the Ref 5SE analog output stage would have been a more successful evolution. Just my 2c.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara View Post
Car troubles kept me from being there.
We missed you.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
We missed you.
I spoke with DC!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:

A few questions for your review:

Which input(s) did you use for comparisons?
Have you compared inputs?
Did you do your DA only comparisons with the volume set to unity gain?

Thanks
Bill
Bill

I had both in a system comprised of the following

Ayre DX5 XLR digital output(cd)
Naim HDX BNC output (ripped music from 16/44 to 24/192)
Ref DAC using Ethernet connection to stream from HDX Server

Both DACs were connected to XLR inputs of Ayre KX-R to ARC 250s and Wilson Shasa

I did not try USB connections

I tried RefDAC with passthrough on the KXR and also with RefDAC at volume control set to 65 using Ayre's volume control. I preferred the latter and that is how I listen now

High level....both DACs are very good, the Ref provides more depth and air around the instruments and what I would call a more organic presentation to the instruments. It's that chill you get from listening to Miles' trumpet or Coltrane's sax. Its the separation of tones and artist nuance gets presented in the most intimate manner. iTo me it was worth the price of the Ref DAC. I put the DAC8 in another system being fed by the Naim ND5xs into a Moon 850P preamp...still very satisfying. As I said, I will try to provide more details over holidays.

I do hear that ARC is working on its own streamer control app.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
Is it possible to connect the AR Ref Dac simultaneously and directly to a speakers amp and an headphone amp?

In my Ayre preamp I use the tape out to reach the headphones system...
Would have to connect amp to XLRand headphone to RCAs. Will need to. Read manual tonight to see if connecting at same time is discouraged
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post

Had ARC developed a DAC-8 with the analog output stage from the Ref 5SE, I think they would have had a bigger hit on their hands than with the REF DAC. I also think an updated CD-8 with digital inputs allowing it to b used as an outboard DAC also with the Ref 5SE analog output stage would have been a more successful evolution. Just my 2c.
All good ideas....and what I wanted most was a DAC8 with tube output. I can't predict the Ref DAC's success in the market. What I can say is it sounds very very good.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 PM

The Ref DAC doesn't have enough digital inputs to be successful in an all digital system.
It needs:
2 Toslink
4 RCA
1 AES/EBU
2 USB

ARC didn't do its homework on this product..
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
The Ref DAC doesn't have enough digital inputs to be successful in an all digital system.
It needs:
2 Toslink
4 RCA
1 AES/EBU
2 USB

ARC didn't do its homework on this product..
Wow...how many digital sources do you have in your system....and why. . Its actually is not far off your request...and add Ethernet for UPnP streaming. What I do wish it had was direct input selection on the front...have to either use remote or scroll through inputs on the screen. I disagree that market research would have come up with quite as many inputs as you suggest but I agree that it is not a universal product for everyone.

Like all my posts today....I can't predict how it will sell...can say it sounds good. A little like my Vantage V12.... Not for everyone...but very fun to drive.