AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
The Dynaudio stands (Stand 2) I had for my Audience 52SE were fillable. I am not sure if the Skyland stands are fillable.
Yep, the Skylan stands are fillable too, but if it were for Dyn S40s, I would recommend using the Dynaudio stands. They were designed for this class of speakers (Confidence C1, Contour S1.4s, Focus 140s/160s and Special 40s).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Anyone put any stock in that review where cabinet resonance was detected (by stethoscope)? ABout remarks of congestion in male vocals?

I'm usually one to ignore stuff like that but for all the praise these get I can't past these remarks.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochurchgo View Post
Anyone put any stock in that review where cabinet resonance was detected (by stethoscope)? ABout remarks of congestion in male vocals?

I'm usually one to ignore stuff like that but for all the praise these get I can't past these remarks.
As a Dynaudio owner, I don't put any stock in it. As for congestion in male vocals, we don't know that Atkinson actually broke in the S40s with 450 hours of run-in time before reviewing them, and if I were to hazard a guess, he didn't. So any comments about their sonic performance without 450 hours is "anecdotal' in my personal view. My understanding is most reviewers of Dyns don't have the requisite number of hours on them before they do the review.

If I had the discretionary funds, I'd have a pair of these, no question. All of the owners I've read comments from absolutely love them.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-20-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
As a Dynaudio owner, I don't put any stock in it. As for congestion in male vocals, we don't know that Atkinson actually broke in the S40s with 450 hours of run-in time before reviewing them, and if I were to hazard a guess, he didn't. So any comments about their sonic performance without 450 hours is "anecdotal' in my personal view. My understanding is most reviewers of Dyns don't have the requisite number of hours on them before they do the review.

If I had the discretionary funds, I'd have a pair of these, no question. All of the owners I've read comments from absolutely love them.
These are tops on my list, their only competition is with a less conventional speaker (Spatial Turbo). The Dyns would suit my needs well.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
These are tops on my list, their only competition is with a less conventional speaker (Spatial Turbo). The Dyns would suit my needs well.
Your comment about the S40's meeting yours needs well is insightful. That tells me you really have clearly thought-through your requirements and are clear on what products would best fulfill those requirements.

I think of speakers a lot like I used to think about sport motorcycles: its a long-term relationship you're entering into, and you want to know that you can comfortably live and be fulfilled in that relationship come fair seas or foul.

So, while a Ducati 996 may be a "sexier" bike, I rode Honda CBRs because they never let me down. They were fast, comfortable, reliable and durable. And...they NEVER break.

Along those lines, my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s have never let me down in a decade of ownership. Morever, if I ever needed them repaired or serviced, I know that Dynuadio NA have me covered with spare parts and an excellent service and support infrastructure, both in the U.S. and Worldwide. For me, those things are as important as the product itself, because, as I've said, its a long-term relationship kinda thang. While I recently bought a pair of Harbeths, I still have the big Dyns in the stable.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-20-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks. $3k is, for me, a monumental amount of money so I'm terrified of not finding a speaker I LOVE. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in getting a demo of them and the others I am interested in are sold direct. Its a huge gamble.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks. $3k is, for me, a monumental amount of money so I'm terrified of not finding a speaker I LOVE. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in getting a demo of them and the others I am interested in are sold direct. Its a huge gamble.
Yeah, I get that. FWIW, I bought my Contour S 3.4s unheard, but I had a pair of Dyns previously, so I knew what to expect, at some level.

I can tell you that getting Dyns is a safe bet: they are very, very neutral, but by that I do not mean in any way they are cold, cool, analytical, thin, or spare-sounding. They are just neutral, like a photograph that is perfectly neutral with respect to color or black and white accuracy; to the extent that they will reflect both the qualities of the source material and components used to drive them. They also are very easy to listen to and and never, ever fatiguing.

The one caveat that all prospective buyers must be aware of is they require at least 300 hours to run-in, and I've heard that the S40s could require as much as 450 hours. They can also be quite "uncomfortable-sounding" during the run-in period, so with Dyns, patience is absolutely key. Once they get there, though, they are glorious. Also, the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is regarded by many as the finest soft-dome tweeter made by anyone, anywhere.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 PM

This is very helpful. I am looking at a pair of S40’s for our loft in Wisconsin - it’s a small space, with a chalet style beamed roof. I think they would be a good choice for this space where a full size floorstander might struggle.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
This is very helpful. I am looking at a pair of S40’s for our loft in Wisconsin - it’s a small space, with a chalet style beamed roof. I think they would be a good choice for this space where a full size floorstander might struggle.
Yup!