AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 06-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Default Accurate Phase

This might be a topic that has been discussed here many years ago. Maybe it hasn't.

Accuphase really stands for delivering phase accuracy in music reproduction and this is why they deliver such enjoyable music in a system that is built around retaining as much phase accuracy as possible.

So considering this is actually in their name, I am fascinated that this aspect is not much more discussed here. When I started with Accuphase and started to learn about phase accuracy, I first bought an Accuphase amp and then a CD player. I already had speakers that are fairly phase accurate though I now know that there are speakers out there that can do a better job. But funds are limited.

What has really fascinated me in the last two years or so is the improvements I have achieved (with great advise from my HIFI dealer) without upgrading my electronics but instead invest in isolation, mains cables and interconnect. I feel these things are extremely undervalued. I would go as far as it is better to buy a model further down the ranks if it enables the acquisition of these additional things that are so important. These types of improvements don't come cheap and in my case have cost me as much as an upgrading from an E380 to and E800. But I actually know from my experience that in my world of limited budget, it was more important to get everything around the electronics right before considering an upgrade to a bigger amp.

Maybe these things are not discussed here because it is an Accuphase forum but then I think it should be discussed here because it is a forum of electronics that adhere so much to the philosophy of accurate phase and it is easily lost/reduced by choosing the wrong interconnect (can still be very expensive) or a rack that does not help with isolation.

If this is not a topic of interest then I am sure it will die quickly here. No problem.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:00 AM

That is a very astute observation. It must be complex measuring phase coherence across a broad frequency spectrum. I could see how circuits, capacitors, resistors and transformers may jeopardize this coherence but I am not sure how cables would effect this (save for those with complicated boxes).

I too would be interested in some further discussion on this topic as I have little to no reference.

Thanks.

Mike S.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:52 PM

My understanding is that minimising the loss of time coherency at any stage within your system is an essential battle you face. Accuphase cares about it and therefore your starting position is very good. I think you need a very good dealer, your curator, who is aware of time coherency and chooses their stock accordingly. It is really important to listen to a system with high time coherency to appreciate it. I was introduced to this concept a few years ago when I stumbled across an independent HiFi shop near me who does Accuphase.

When I bought the DP-560 from my dealer he threw in an interconnect, which according to him, was a decent mid-range cable and the minimum I should, use with a player like this. Since then I first updated mains cables and the distribution block that completely transformed my system as it suddenly had so much more energy. Then I invested more in the HiFi rack system my dealer has been developing over many years as he had just found a better material with again astonishing impact.

Recently, I asked him if he can demonstrate to me the impact of interconnects. We used his favoured system that is very musical and just wonderful and includes the E-800 and the DP-560, sometimes the DP-750. First, we used an interconnect in my price range and then the second most expensive one. The contrast was very dramatic. The reproduced music became much more musical, instruments sounded more real and everything had become more rhythmical. Then we switched to the most expensive one and this step was absolutely startling. Now, you could pinpoint the instruments even better than before and it sounded like they are playing live before you.

We then tried out the DP-750 with the second best interconnect and compared it with the DP-560 with the most expensive interconnect and in this case the DP-560 gave us greater musical experience. While these interconnects are expensive, the price difference for the interconnects was much smaller compared to the price difference between the 560 and the 750. Of course, in the end we used the 750 with the best interconnect and that gave us the best experience.

The bottom line for me though is that Accuphase is fantastic for building a time coherent system and I am surprised that Accuphase devotees do not discuss this much more.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:35 AM

Can you please share brand name of the cables you are referencing in your last post.
Thank you.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:10 AM

I was referring to interconnects by a company called Audiomica. I don't believe they are widely known and this might be partly because they are based in Poland. Not a country you would expect to have products like this. The top range interconnect is called Pearl Consequence. I have just checked out their website and you can try them out before buying even if you don't have a local HiFi shop that trades them. For this you have to contact the Audiomica distributor in your country. Certainly worth a try. I have an extremely knowledgeable HiFi dealer who cares about time coherency. To his knowledge, Audiomica are the only brand who understand the importance of time coherency and this is why he strongly recommends them with Accuphase products.