AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:02 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default SOtM UltraNeo in da House!

Both my Keces P3 and P8 drop shipped from Korea and delivered the latter half of the week, like 4 days after ordering.

Both are solid units as well as Ghent’s Gotham and Oyaide DC cables and why not address after market power cables, a must in my book and finally isolation [emoji28]

Crazy stuff just to hear Mick Jagger

Last edited by For The Love of Music; 06-13-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Both my Keces P3 and P8 drop shipped from Korea and delivered the latter half of the week, like 4 days after ordering.

Both are solid units as well as Ghent’s Gotham and Oyaide DC cables and why not address after market power cables, a must in my book and finally isolation [emoji28]

Crazy stuff just to hear Mick Jagger
Yup! I just got a UPS email today that my Keces P3 will be here tomorrow () and my GhentAudio Gotham JSSG/Oyaide cables have been shipped from China. Based on some imput from Barrows at Sonore, his view is that DC cables shoud be as short as possible to minimize impedance, so in retrospect, I should have ordered 1 foot DC cables instead of 1M, but as the Gothams are low-inductance, star-quad cables with JSSG shielding construction, I expect they will be a pretty good combination. And, personally, I like to have devices with big-*ssed toroidals away from digital signal devices. If I have to, though, I'll order shorter DC cables if the impedance from these is an issue; I don't think it will be, though. I figure they will still be WAY better than the supplied el cheapo stock DC cables/connectors.

Also, my Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 shipped today, so the gunfight at the OK Corral will commence as soon as the Earps and the Clantons get all "warmed" up from a contentious game of faro.

"I'll be your huckleberry..." – Doc Holliday
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-13-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yup! I just got a UPS email today that my Keces P3 will be here tomorrow () and my GhentAudio Gotham JSSG/Oyaide cables have been shipped from China. Based on some imput from Barrows at Sonore, his view is that DC cables shoud be as short as possible to minimize impedance, so in retrospect, I should have ordered 1 foot DC cables instead of 1M, but as the Gothams are low-inductance, star-quad cables with JSSG shielding construction, I expect they will be a pretty good combination. And, personally, I like to have devices with big-*ssed toroidals away from digital signal devices. If I have to, though, I'll order shorter DC cables if the impedance from these is an issue; I don't think it will be, though. I figure they will still be WAY better than the supplied el cheapo stock DC cables/connectors.

Also, my Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 shipped today, so the gunfight at the OK Corral will commence as soon as the Earps and the Clantons get all "warmed" up from a contentious game of faro.

"I'll be your huckleberry..." – Doc Holliday

The China deal, can go quick or slow, I had 5/6 days and 10 dYs. You’ll have no issues with your Gotham’s.

Your almost there!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

The Keces P3 arrived today.

Its very nicely executed and well-made. I'm impressed.

Its powering the SOtm sMS-200 UltraNeo right now and sounds very nice. I expect things will continue to improve over the next week as both units continue to burn in. I'm already impressed with the SOtM in just about two days of burn-in, it is very, very musical.

Tomorrow, the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 will arrive; I'll connect it up to the microRendu for a week or so to burn in, and then we'll have a shoot-out at the OK Corral...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM

Hey Puma Cat I'm wondering how the Ultra Neo vs microRendu went. I was able to briefly compare the micro to the ultraRendu, where the ultra won out. I'm considering the ultra neo and I saw you also considered the special edition. Did you go with the standard edition instead? Any reason?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaChuck1 View Post
Hey Puma Cat I'm wondering how the Ultra Neo vs microRendu went. I was able to briefly compare the micro to the ultraRendu, where the ultra won out. I'm considering the ultra neo and I saw you also considered the special edition. Did you go with the standard edition instead? Any reason?

Thanks!
I think the special edition is fairly new. I have it, but I can't say whether it is better than the standard edition, or the Rendu products.

If you watch Hans B. on you tube, there are lots of reviews of these products and he compares them. He loves the sotm products, but in the end he appears to slightly prefer the optical rendu. However, there are a lot of variables at play, if you feed the sotm with an EtherRegen with optical, which one wins then? or is it equal? who knows...

I have taken a lot of Puma's recommendations and I have the EtherRegen with optical, and sotm sms-200 ultra neo special edition + power supply, plus I am clocking all of these components with my Esoteric G02x clock. It's VERY good.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 05-08-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Thanks!
Hey Chuck,
I decided to buy the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo "regular" version as I was able to get it on a Memorial Day sale last year for $200 off MSRP. Which was $500 less expensive than the SE version.

What with the EtherREGEN, Shunyata Ether and USB cables in/out of the Ultra Neo, and everything connected via fiber and being powered with very clean LPS' powered by Shunyata Venom V14D PCs, things sound....purdy dang good!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:02 AM

Thanks to you both. I feel the ultraRendu w/ UpTone’s LPS 1.2 isn’t quite where I want it to be yet and I have the etherregen on order. It’s very good, just not yet K-03x cd level (which I rarely use for CDs). I’ve seen a couple of Hans’ reviews which are a lot to digest. In one he kind of had a throwaway line of the Aureliac G2 sounding the best with upgraded switches and although pricy, if I knew it + my D1100 could equal or better the K-03x CD quality I’d sell the K-03x for aesthetic purposes. But since I don’t know that and I’m kind of assuming I’ll never quite get CD quality I’m ok spending ~50% less for 95% of the Aureliac quality. No idea on the accuracy of those numbers that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Interesting on the opticalRendu comment, I’ll look into Hans’ video and run some numbers.

Also interesting one of you went clock and the other did not. I’m nearly out of room so I’m kind of hoping one box solution or a few smaller boxes which can hide out of sight easier. Thanks again for the replies. .
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks to you both. I feel the ultraRendu w/ UpTone’s LPS 1.2 isn’t quite where I want it to be yet and I have the etherregen on order. It’s very good, just not yet K-03x cd level (which I rarely use for CDs). I’ve seen a couple of Hans’ reviews which are a lot to digest. In one he kind of had a throwaway line of the Aureliac G2 sounding the best with upgraded switches and although pricy, if I knew it + my D1100 could equal or better the K-03x CD quality I’d sell the K-03x for aesthetic purposes. But since I don’t know that and I’m kind of assuming I’ll never quite get CD quality I’m ok spending ~50% less for 95% of the Aureliac quality. No idea on the accuracy of those numbers that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Interesting on the opticalRendu comment, I’ll look into Hans’ video and run some numbers.

Also interesting one of you went clock and the other did not. I’m nearly out of room so I’m kind of hoping one box solution or a few smaller boxes which can hide out of sight easier. Thanks again for the replies. .
I didn't get the external clock because I can't afford it.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 AM

A couple follow ups:
Puma Cat: I may have your setup wrong, but if everything is fiber couldn’t you do the optical module straight into the ultra neo? Just wondering if the etherRegen is necessary at that point if galvanic isolation occurs in that optical module. I’m not 100% sure what I’m talking about but these are internet words that sound nice 👍 If your system is 100 with the regen, without it would it be ~90?

2fast: I’m assuming you’re using your K-01x as your DAC. If your system is 100 now, would removing the G-02x to the K-01x/UltraNeo/etherRegen drop it to 90?

Given my existing network is traditional Ethernet, I see these are my options:

A) cat 6 to etherRegen A side, B side to ultraRendu / Ultra Neo with LPS 1.2
B) cat 6 to etherRegen B side, A side to opticalRendu with LPS 1.2. Manual suggests don’t use the other A side cat 6s and the Regen is kind of a glorified optical module?
C) cat 6 to optical Module (sold out) to etherRegen A side, B side to ultraRendu/ultraNeo. This seems like overkill and the etherRegen manual states “ Use of optical into—or out of—EtherREGEN is not required to obtain best performance.”
D) cut out the etherRegen and just do optical module when available to opticalRendu.

Then there’s clocking. For aesthetics I’m trying to get rid of my K-03x which could receive a clock, and keep my D1100 which cannot. If I thought I was eventually clocking I’d definitely get the UltraNeo. Will research the opticalRendu a bit more before deciding