AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Retired

Am very pleased with my Capital Scout (think they made five of them for the DC show 3yr ago). If I were to upgrade (not likely) would consider going with the Avenger. While the initial cost is a bit more than the Prime Sig, it is a step up while still being at the bottom of the Avenger line, allowing you to upgrade in the future. With the Prime Sig you can add accessories, but are pretty much topped out for upgrades. That said, am sure the Prime Sig is a terrific TT/TA if you are certain you will "never" want to upgrade.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 AM

I have a TNT Series III that I bought new around 1992 and have no plans to replace it. VPI is a great company with great support. I'm not a big fan of its pickup arms, but that's just a personal preference. (In fact, I've heard the VPI arms sound terrific at a couple different dealers, but I just can't warm up to unipivots.)

Prior to the VPI, I had an Oracle Delphi III and a Denon DP-80. I think the VPi walks all over them, at least in my system.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM

I have been running a Prime with Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC for about 2 years. Couldn't be happier. But I would also warn you about setup. It was pretty tricky as I was learning the new table.

VPI as a company provides great service. Many videos online and phone calls are normally answered or quickly returned. The VPI forum also has a lot of information.

SQ, texture, detail, imaging/sound stage and warmth are great. Since adding this table to my system I would say I spend about 90% of my listening time using the VPI.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I have to rebuild my vinyl collection from scratch!
Serge, I'm curious, if you got rid of your vinyl collection what possess you to start again ? I'm sitting on almost 2000 Lp's but I sure as hell wouldn't start over !
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM

I've had a Classic 3 for 6 years now and have no regrets. It sounds fantastic. VTA on the fly, easy to change tonearms, etc. I keep a mono cartridge on my 2nd tonearm and can change from stereo to mono cart in 30 seconds.

I would buy it again.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM

I consider my VPI Prime the Corvette of the turntable world. You can spend allot more and get equal or less performance. It's built like a tank and you won't find a company with better support/people to deal with. Also VPI just increased the warranty to 5 years (Not that you will need it). Also has the best owners! This is my third VPI table.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Serge, I'm curious, if you got rid of your vinyl collection what possess you to start again ? I'm sitting on almost 2000 Lp's but I sure as hell wouldn't start over !
If I got rid of my vinyl by choice, I wouldn’t... That wasn’t my choice. Long story but I was really enjoying vinyl at that time and growing my collection. I do miss it.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:56 PM

I had VPI since 2006 starting w/ the HW19 JR upgrading to the MK 4 then selling it to get my first TNT MK 2.5 . Sold it after 1 year to get a TNT MK 6 . I thought the TNT 6 will be my destination turntable . Then in 2015 I finally added the VPI HR-X . I said to myself that these will be the last turntable purchase I’ll be making . But now Im thinking of getting a Classic 3 or 4 for my Vintage setup. For me once you go VPI its never enough to have just 1 VPI table .
Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems the VPI owners are universally happy with their tables.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:43 AM

Had a friend just sell his minty, first-owner HR-X for $5K flat a week ago. Beautiful table -- what can do better at that price? You should've made your thread back then!