AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 PM

Default VPI tables

Looking for feedback from owners. Have heard the VPI many times but never owned a VPI table. Happy with VPI? Any issues? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:11 PM

Hi Serge...I have my VPI HR-X a little over 10 years without any issues. I am just as happy today with it as I was the 1st day I set it up.

It’s really the only piece of equipment I never think about upgrading.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Hi Serge...I have my VPI HR-X a little over 10 years without any issues. I am just as happy today with it as I was the 1st day I set it up.

It’s really the only piece of equipment I never think about upgrading.
Wow, 10 years! That says a lot!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 PM

I've had my VPI Prime a couple of years now and will likely upgrade to one of the Avenger models next year. Great table!

George
Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 PM

Own one, a Classic 3 for 9-10 years. Only caviat, get the 3D arm with the most current up to date tonearm wire upgrade and invest in the Soundsmith counterweight accessory, to make set-up easier

Last edited by The Trace; 02-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 PM

Considering the Prime Signature, I don't think I need to go any higher considering I have to rebuild my vinyl collection from scratch!

I want to hit the sweetspot... I want this to be a long term relationship, not having the itch to upgrade if I go lower but going higher is also not necessary I feel.

Does the Prime Signature have the same meaty and rich tonal signature as the older Aries series from years ago or is it a newer, more detailed and thinner sound?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 PM

I've owned my Aries 3, super platter, SDS unit for over 9 years now and I agree with Paul, zero interest in going 'beyond'. But ......if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd buy the re-designed Technics 1200 and call it a day, sit back with my cartridge of choice and just listen away to my LP collection.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
I've owned my Aries 3, super platter, SDS unit for over 9 years now and I agree with Paul, zero interest in going 'beyond'. But ......if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd buy the re-designed Technics 1200 and call it a day, sit back with my cartridge of choice and just listen away to my LP collection.
I still have my Technics 1200. It's the older model.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 AM

I own the VPI HRX, rim drive/SDS/superplatter 3d arm. Every other component I own has been upgraded while the HRX sits in the same position--only the arm has been upgraded and I've kept 2 previous arms which have different carts mounted on them.
I can't imagine bothering to upgrade my HRX. In fact, I've never considered it. This is despite the fact I have a speaker upgrade in progress (3rd since purchasing the HRX) amp and preamp upgrade (3rd of each) and digital upgrade (3rd) slotted for purchase over the next 3 to 4 years. With VPI--I think I'm done for the long term.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 AM

I'm a big fan of DD turntables. My go to tables are a pair of big rosewood base models from Denon and JVC circa 1979. I've tried the newer belt drive models and sold them on. If your 1200 still looks good and works have you thought about a new tonearm and wiring until you get your collection built back up?