AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Oscar - nice pics of the new speakers, let us know how they sound once you get them hooked up and remember to snap some pics of the setup!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 PM

Absolutely! I'm hoping they ship this week!

EDIT: I just received the tracking # for my Calibre's. Should have them in a few days.

Last edited by Oscar; 09-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Been enjoying my Calibres immensely these last few days. Full review coming soon once I dial them in to my office.

Did I mention I hate room effects? They ruin everything! lol Before tuning....look at those nasty dips from cancellations, peaks from room resonances....ugh....

After in-room tuning:

Nice and respectably flat from 30Hz-20kHz. This is just a temporary setup as these will go in my office at work, but considering that they are currently in a room with parallel, reflective walls, they still sound superb. I spent every waking minute from Wednesday evening all the way to last night listening to music. I feel like an inactive slob right now! lol

Detailed review/comparison with my Legacy Studio HD's coming very soon!

Last edited by Oscar; 09-26-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:37 AM

So it's been a while since I've updated. I've since moved into a new house, and of course they are set-up and rocking!

So what can I say about them...
  • It's been more than a year since I got them, and I would have thought I'd have blown one of the drivers by now considering the punishment I subject them to, but nope. They are solid as a rock and can take a beating like you wouldn't believe (so long as it's clean power of course).
  • While the low-end can be extended artificially with EQ (whether it be standard EQ or DSP-based), the front midbass driver ends up working too much because it shares some of the workload for the bass, that's just how the design is
    • therefore, I've left the low-end extension alone since my music hardly ever reaches below 40Hz (but I do bump up the 40-100Hz range a good 6 dB for added effect with heavy metal)
  • They have reinvigorated my desire to work with loudspeakers, so much so that I'm working on a tribute to them, doing a "cover" if you will. You can see in the picture I posted above a whole bunch of raw driver's I'm testing for my Calibre-X model . It will be nothing short of a monster. Stay tuned.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Oscar,...I heard them with Wavelet in July at a group meeting they are truly stupid good [emoji16] for the money!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:33 PM

Default I would love to owen a set

I had an opportunity to listen to them at RMAF 2018, and I felt they were amazing. It would be one of my top recommendations for someone looking for a small speaker with a floor standing speaker sound. If I’m able to find a speaker stand that I find suitable I will buy a pair. But I may have to go custom on the stand no good finds so far. Talked to Legacy and even the ones that they use are custom. Sonus Faber Electa III was the next comparable speaker for a lot more money, however the bottom end on the Legacy was better. Photos can’t show how beautiful Legacy finishes really are.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 PM

Those measly furniture stands that I got from Amazon were onlye$30 ea, and they look really nice. Super sturdy? Nah, but they can support the weight just fine. Not something you want to use if you have kids running around, but if not, they just work. I'll probably take them apart during my vacation so I can use wood glue so the parts can set permanently and add a little bit of rigidity.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 PM

I have no idea why a speaker manufacture with good woodworking skills in house can't make a suitable stand for their prestigious speakers.

Any good reason?

I would consider but I've yet to see a nice looking stand that compliments the Calibre.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 12-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
I have no idea why a speaker manufacture with good woodworking skills in house can't make a suitable stand for their prestigious speakers.

Any good reason?

I would consider but I've yet to see a nice looking stand that compliments the Calibre.

Ron
You are so on point, I couldn’t help but to express to Legacy that if they would make stands for these they would sell many more. Given the fact that it is not shaped like the average stand mount speaker and they are quite herfty also. It would seem like a no brainer.