AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 09-08-2015, 08:14 AM

I just bought a pair of Salon 2s and, two days after setting them up, I can attest to a couple of things. First, these are great speakers and any changes that I make at this end of my system may enter the realm of diminishing returns. Second, these speakers are power hungry. With my 150 watt / ch Ayre amp, registering25 on the preamp volume control, my previously owned Paradigms would be very loud indeed. The Revels have to be at 35, on the preamp 66 point scale, in order to achieve the same SPL. That volume range is my "comfortably loud" range over which I rarely venture. I've yet to run the speakers at 35 for an extended period and thus experience what that does to amplifier heat. In time, can see exchanging my amp for a more powerful one. I'm think about that once my savings recover from purchasing the Revels!

Last edited by Biggar; 09-08-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 PM

I was looking for a system I could split 50% for 2 channel music for myself and 50% for movies for the family - There were some systems that worked better at one or the other but for me nothing that could do both .......Revel had the most natural speaking voices and snare drums that popped but like all speakers they have their quirks:

Pros
1) Seamless transition between drivers ... not easy for a 4 way system but so perfect it spoils you
2) The most sublime high end with no glare whatsoever ... room filling with zero coloration - The VERTICAL tweeter dispersion is top of the line
3) Solid bass .... I cross mine over to a sub at 40Hz strictly for Starship rumble - Those three 8" woofers with the vertical port fear no recording
4) There is no center channel that pairs as well with it's columns as Revel's Voice 2 and at only 25" wide it has a small foot print
5) Run through a McIntosh mx150 room correction and placement becomes reasonably easy - They give you a huge sweet spot

Cons
1) Power Hungry Beasts ..... makes sense when you consider you are driving three woofers, two different size midranges, plus a tweeter - They require ample clean power and good upstream components
2) They are tall at 54" .... so wife acceptance is a challenge - The style is traditional but they won't be disappearing in am interior decorating scheme - It does help to have children (or better yet grandchildren) who love to watch movies
3) Not very forgiving of poor source material so you need good components and a very good processor

Anyway that's my two cents ...
Epson 6010 Projector with Stewart Grey Hawk
A Tangle of WireWorld Silver & Gold Electra Cables / A pile of GIK acoustic panels
Gibson CF-100E
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 PM

The Revel Ultima Series is the top home theater system in my opinion. I used to own a pair of Salon 2's and they provided world class sound in my two channel system.

Ken
Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 AM

I enjoyed my Salon 2s as well. Hard to beat at their price point - even after 8 years of production.