AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post

If I recall, you just combined your two channel room into a hybrid music/theater room and bought a watch center and focal's for the rears. My recommendation, as an audiophile who lived through the transition of single-married-no kids-three kids-high schoolers, is to build a room that is comfortable for you and your kids to hang out together in. Keep it simple, include music and movie capability (there will be lots of cartoons and kids shows) and while maybe not optimized...you can still enjoy music. I lived with Thiel power points for several years and a lot of toy story/ice age sessions

I also believe you already have a Classe sigma 3. I personally would get a sigma 2 to go with the three channel amp and you would have a simple, easy to operate system that would not give you ultimate resolution and extension but still provides enjoyment....it also runs cool in case the kids leave the system on all day. I have the sigma pre and two sigma monos in my exercise room driving some B&Ws....for that room the simplicity of this system really makes sense

For your speaker question

I have three systems with WA speakers in them. Main room has Alexia, mezzo and Alida with two JL212s. KXR/MXR/VXR twenties power the system....

My cabin has Duette2 with Ref40/Ref150....and it is a magical system that makes you disbelieve that a speaker that size can deliver this scale and weight. I originally had the V1 duette which I really enjoyed but the V2 is an significant improvement in low end definition and mid range fluidity. Not an Alexia but you can easily get lost in the presentation

My study has a kx5/vx5 twenty with Alidas as the main speakers(so hung on the wall) I was surprised how well these speakers performed given the placement and driver size limitations. Not the scale or weight of the Duette...but very fast and detailed without being harsh and they get the midrange right.

So for the most kid proof setup...put some Alidas on the walls up front. Will work with your watch center and are cheaper than the duette. The duette v2 does now bolt to its stand so not a danger of kids knocking off like the V1 but with kids and kids friends....I find that speakers out of reach work well. If you are ok with risk get the duette. They sound great. You will lose some low end compared to Sasha....but when listening to a performance the duette's are good enough to pull you in to a full sized sound stage....just lacking the depth and scale and low end punch the Alexia (and Sasha) would give. And they can flat out play within there frequency range

If you really wanted an integrated than I would chose a Ayre ax5twenty over a Devialet but since you already have the sigma....and its flexible enough to get theater and 2 channel together....don't see why you would change

I am near you in Bellevue...at the other FANG...I expect several local dealers or Ivan have the experience to set you up with a system that works with young kids

Btw. I used the simple system stage in life to load up and focus on music selection purchases

Good luck
This is awesome feedback. Thanks for taking the time. I am planning some demos tomorrow and next week to narrow down steps so this is great timing!
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

What has been said about the Duette is absolutely correct. What you loose is a bit of low end and, depending on the room, presentation scale. They just don't sound as big playing large scale music. On the other hand, they are definitely more efficient and seem to play loudly given a volume setting. Yep, go listen to be sure. If you have the room, I prefer mine out from the wall about a foot, much better debth. Fun buying speakers isn't it?
Have fun.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 05-07-2016, 09:41 PM

I took a listen to something similar to duettes and I decided to make my Sasha 2 work but will reduce the theatre room to just audio. That will clear a little more space.

I listened to the alida speakers and those are amazing little buggers! I may consider getting a pair of those for the living room!

So I am going to sell my Wilson center, focal surrounds and classe amp5 to clear out a little more room

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:43 AM

It may be above my budget, but if you are selling your center, I am on the lookout for one.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkaenjo View Post
It may be above my budget, but if you are selling your center, I am on the lookout for one.
Hi!

I am selling it through Definitive Audio in Seattle, WA. They have established ratings for selling this type of stuff than me and they handle the freight shipping much easier :-)

PM me and I can put you in contact.

I am going to let them price it but it's a Wilson Center Series 2 with a updated tweeter to match series 3/Sasha 2. It was a demo unit that I bought fresh from the crate after the tweeter update for 6400.

Alan
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM

I just traded in my center channel for a pair of alida speakers for the living room! Woot!

Any recommendations for an inexpensive integrated option to power? I am thinking devialet 120 or a rotel solution... I would prefer something that has some sort of wireless airplay...
Old 05-13-2016, 12:07 PM

If you like your sigma ssp. Than maybe you should demo the classe sigma 2200i.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
If you like your sigma ssp. Than maybe you should demo the classe sigma 2200i.
Thanks! I was interested in the sigma 2200i but looks and size were also very critical for this system. As such, I went with the devialet 120
and aries mini. The sigma 2200i was just to bulky for the living room and the devialet is one attractive piece of equipment that can also mount on the wall. Sounds great too but the air streaming sucks.

Now I start my 3 week wait for the alidas........hurry up and wait....
Old 09-02-2017, 10:14 AM

The nice thing about the Duettes, you can place them at boundary walls.