AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 PM

Default Duette Series 2

Hi All

As crazy as it is, I need to trade in my Sasha 2 for Duette Series 2 speakers. With a growing baby that wants a bigger play room, I cannot justify a dedicated room for the Sasha 2 and will need to have the speakers in the living room next to corner walls...the Sasha 2 speakers just overtake the room with their size and it's not wife approved.

How much of a sound hit am I going to take with the trade in?

Do you think that the Duette 2's need as much power as Sasha 2? I am thinking about getting an integrated preamp/amp that will live more "hidden" in the living room....I have a Classe Sigma SSP and Classe CA-2300....any feedback with Devialet 120 or is that losing to much sound/detail? Should I just suck it up and find a spot for the Classe equipment versus a integrated solution?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM

Wow this is too bad....... The baby play room phase is fairly short but not short enough probably 6yrs or so. You will take a sound hit and they will not need the same amount of power but as long as you accept this compromise, then I believe you will be very surprised at how happy with the system you will be.
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 PM

Sabrina's still too big? I would think they would be the best solution.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
Hmm they are smaller.......

Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
I thought about that, but I think the Sabrina requires the speaker to be pretty away from the wall. I need to be up against the wall and corner walls so just reading the specs, it sounds like Wilson recommends the duette 2 for this.

Give the price I cannot imagine the sound quality being an issue but I need to listen.

If the sound quality is significant then I may either have to accept it or do some head scratching for more room....
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Wow this is too bad....... The baby play room phase is fairly short but not short enough probably 6yrs or so. You will take a sound hit and they will not need the same amount of power but as long as you accept this compromise, then I believe you will be very surprised at how happy with the system you will be.
Yeah I am realizing this. It's prob 6 years for one kid but this is our first so there are more on the way soon (I hope). So effectively it may be longer than that.

I got the speakers 4 years before a kid was in the picture and we also downsized in house to move in the city (Seattle market is crazy) so this is a consequence of all that.

These will still prob be excellent sound quality so I cannot complain about having options I guess.
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Maybe give Wilson a call and get their opinion directly.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM

You might be shocked as to just how good these little speakers sound. They definitely warrant an in home demo.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 05-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
You might be shocked as to just how good these little speakers sound. They definitely warrant an in home demo.
Huge +1

Old 05-07-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
Hi All As crazy as it is, I need to trade in my Sasha 2 for Duette Series 2 speakers. With a growing baby that wants a bigger play room, I cannot justify a dedicated room for the Sasha 2 and will need to have the speakers in the living room next to corner walls...the Sasha 2 speakers just overtake the room with their size and it's not wife approved. How much of a sound hit am I going to take with the trade in? Do you think that the Duette 2's need as much power as Sasha 2? I am thinking about getting an integrated preamp/amp that will live more "hidden" in the living room....I have a Classe Sigma SSP and Classe CA-2300....any feedback with Devialet 120 or is that losing to much sound/detail? Should I just suck it up and find a spot for the Classe equipment versus a integrated solution? Thanks!
If I recall, you just combined your two channel room into a hybrid music/theater room and bought a watch center and focal's for the rears. My recommendation, as an audiophile who lived through the transition of single-married-no kids-three kids-high schoolers, is to build a room that is comfortable for you and your kids to hang out together in. Keep it simple, include music and movie capability (there will be lots of cartoons and kids shows) and while maybe not optimized...you can still enjoy music. I lived with Thiel power points for several years and a lot of toy story/ice age sessions

I also believe you already have a Classe sigma 3. I personally would get a sigma 2 to go with the three channel amp and you would have a simple, easy to operate system that would not give you ultimate resolution and extension but still provides enjoyment....it also runs cool in case the kids leave the system on all day. I have the sigma pre and two sigma monos in my exercise room driving some B&Ws....for that room the simplicity of this system really makes sense

For your speaker question

I have three systems with WA speakers in them. Main room has Alexia, mezzo and Alida with two JL212s. KXR/MXR/VXR twenties power the system....

My cabin has Duette2 with Ref40/Ref150....and it is a magical system that makes you disbelieve that a speaker that size can deliver this scale and weight. I originally had the V1 duette which I really enjoyed but the V2 is an significant improvement in low end definition and mid range fluidity. Not an Alexia but you can easily get lost in the presentation

My study has a kx5/vx5 twenty with Alidas as the main speakers(so hung on the wall) I was surprised how well these speakers performed given the placement and driver size limitations. Not the scale or weight of the Duette...but very fast and detailed without being harsh and they get the midrange right.

So for the most kid proof setup...put some Alidas on the walls up front. Will work with your watch center and are cheaper than the duette. The duette v2 does now bolt to its stand so not a danger of kids knocking off like the V1 but with kids and kids friends....I find that speakers out of reach work well. If you are ok with risk get the duette. They sound great. You will lose some low end compared to Sasha....but when listening to a performance the duette's are good enough to pull you in to a full sized sound stage....just lacking the depth and scale and low end punch the Alexia (and Sasha) would give. And they can flat out play within there frequency range

If you really wanted an integrated than I would chose a Ayre ax5twenty over a Devialet but since you already have the sigma....and its flexible enough to get theater and 2 channel together....don't see why you would change

I am near you in Bellevue...at the other FANG...I expect several local dealers or Ivan have the experience to set you up with a system that works with young kids

Btw. I used the simple system stage in life to load up and focus on music selection purchases

Good luck