AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-28-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I've just put a nice order which should cover most of my needs in audio improvement for the year : I'm improving my analog front end with a Klaudio RCM, I'll finally have clean vinyls ! I'm also changing the arm for a SME V (at long last, it's been on my list forever). On the digital side, I'm upgrading my DAC to a PS Audio Directstream. Overall, I've order 2 sets of 4 Ultra mini's. This may be a very big mistake for my wallet if they prove to be half as good as what you are all talking about. I need to install the linear PSU I got for the Oppo and need to report back. So many things to do and so little time. The other changes planned are a linear PSU for the mac mini (but still unsure which one), a cable here or there. If I find the money, I'll investigate further the Air Tight ATM2. The changes I'm making will get me very close to a well balanced system and should prove to be a great overall performer for my room.
Congrats Georges !
All this sounds very exciting !
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Congrats Georges !
All this sounds very exciting !
Thank you my friend !

I'm very excited indeed to received it all.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM

My number 1 task for this year is to sort out stands for my speakers.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:23 PM

Default Make sure to compare to McIntosh MEM220

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoley3 View Post
It was interesting to read of the improvements members have made to their systems in 2014 in a prior post by Puma Cat on that subject. It also prompted the question about what others are planning for 2015.
I'll start with my plans and hope others follow.

JL Audio CR-1 active crossover
Creating a dedicated audio-only electrical infrastructure
Room acoustical tuning
Replace Stillpoints Ultra Minis with Ultra SS under preamp
I have auditioned both the JL crossover and the MEM220, and since you are considering room acoustical tuning, I would urge that before you buy the MEM220 that you see if you can directly compare it to the JL. I had thought the "purist" approach would sound superior, ie, the JL and the room acoustical tiles and traps would trounce the MEM220, but testing proved otherwise for me in my situation. I would also suggest that adding isolation first will help remove some problems that could better help you be ready for room correction and crossover.

The MEM220 can be used as a crossover only or as room correction only (or both together). I found that room correction made a noticeable impact, and wonder if it might have taken years and a lot more money than the difference in cost between the two items to tone the room with acoustic panels and other room treatments. You fix one thing, but another area gets diminished. I had been going after cleaning up and tightening the low end (increased lower end definition) but was very surprised to find a big improvement (with the MEM220) in the midrange as well, and my speakers, Harbeth and my electronics, McIntosh, are superb in that area. The room is 17x27 with 8.9 ft ceiling. I didn't think the MEM220 would help the midrange that much more than using the crossover would (by taking the load off the the amps and restoring a more relaxed sense of ease), but yes, the room correction helped the midrange also, and although I wouldn't have described the system as bright, the room correction did help the high end also.

So bottom line was I already only planning to install some bass traps, a few dispersion panels, and maybe some dispersion near the ceiling. And I was pretty happy with JL Crossover. It sounded great, was easy and intuitive to use, and having listened to it for a few days, was planing to humor my dealer by allowing him to bring over the McIntosh so I could try the room correction. He knew me, knew I was skeptical of EQ and software correction, knew that in the past I had never owned preamps with tone controls, was happily selling both the JL and the McIntosh, but had a feeling I should try some room correction if only to know more about the system and the room. I grudgingly let him disconnect the JL and hook up the MEM220. I had to eat my words, which I did when after running the set up and then about an hour of listening, I found myself reaching for my checkbook, and asking him to pack up the JL and leave me with the MEM220.

Since it only took about twenty minutes for the MEM220 to sample the room, and make its corrections, I'd recommend it as a first option before trying your luck with acoustical treatments.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM

1) Accuphase E-470 or Burmester 032. 1 have not yet decided if I can justify the additional expense for the Burmester
2) 1x Furutech Powerflux cable