AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 PM

Default The Kondo Dream .... and more.

Well, its so true. When one don't have anything, its time to have something. At least, thats true for me. The only difference would be I am getting to be very patient, slow in decision (and writing that check) and the willingness to continue to look around.

What is even more intrigue is now I have the chance to listen to my 2011 dream system today .. Kondo M1000 MKII, Kondo Ongaku, Kondo Ginka (except for arm - the cartridge's Kondo IO) thru the Tannoy Westminsters. Only words to describe is kinda like Coldstone's Ice Cream - Gotta Have It! This time, the price is NOT at the insane level. In fact, far from it. Maybe the dealer is trying to cut me a fantastic deal, knowing I am now having .... nothing (he does not know I am building a vintage system) or the market is bad. Seriously, the cheaper alternative would be just getting the Tannoy Westminsters GR and I think I can still live happily ever after .... ok, for a while.

Of course, I have also been tasting Audio Note UK (full Level 4 setup with Level 5 speakers - costs more than the Westies GR, .. hmmm ), A full surround Meridian Setup (yes, the dealer is also trying to get me hooked again, 808v6, 861v8, DSP8kSE x2 and a DSP7.2kHCse). Esoteric front end, Naim Statement with Focal Utopia Grande, FM Acoustics, the list just goes on and on. Cant say I am not spoilt for choice.

Its like being a swinging bachelor again ... having so many choices and options.

I think I am going to enjoy this for a while and let not my heart nor desire get the better of me. After all, like a saying goes, you want milk? Don't need to bring a cow home. Just go and have it in the cafeteria. Until when the "special one" gets to me. Till then, happy listening ... for free ....

Oh, I am not worried about resisting the temptation, cause no matter how special the pricing can get, its still horrendous to me. Would really takes a lot more to get me to part with the cash. Plus of course, I am not in a hurry to cook stories nor part with my monies. I still need to get my house in shape before anything can happen. So, just keep listening ....

I will try to share how I feel about each experience, if it can give some reading pleasure. I am no reviewer and can only say and write what I think the setup sounds like - to me. We can agree to disagree.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 01-27-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Jerry
It is good to hear from you. So many (expensive) options to sort through. No matter which way you decide to go you will be getting great sound, just a bit different.

Keep us posted my friend.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jerry
It is good to hear from you. So many (expensive) options to sort through. No matter which way you decide to go you will be getting great sound, just a bit different.

Keep us posted my friend.
Its good to know you read my posts.

Any chance of coming this way? I was supposed to meet up with one fellow AA'er, but missed him as extended my stay in UK & US. My bad.

If you do come this way, let me know way ahead so I can plan my travel calendar my friend.

Cheers
Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 AM
Life is beautiful

^^^^^Jerry, of course we read your posts!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone ... and A Happy & Prosperous New Year 2016 ... in a week's time.

So, what have I achieved, in terms of gear change? Well, to start with, I've managed to build up a so-called 70's system (kinda hybrid although their names does spell "vintage of sorts" as they go a long way back) for 70's music playback, centering around vinyl.

Speakers - the foundation. What else but the JBL's L300 Summit. A superb pair Ivan had so kindly to let me have them (finally) and even kinder to keep them until mid June/early July next year, when I can take possession of them when I moved to a newer apartment. Now, I can really have one room to myself for this hobby! Finally, after all these years.

Amplification would be the McIntosh C22/MC75 60th Anniversary Edition, and am so happy they are uno-numero! I was kinda shocked but later found that there are actually 3 sets of build for the world. 60 sets each for the US, Asia and Canada. No prize to guess which number I had (definitely not the US of A version). This combination is another vintage brought back to life as new. And now a regular line of new produce in McIntosh stable. What can I say but ... Wow!

I have also collected 2 turntables, a McIntosh MT5 for Stereo vinyl playback while a vintage completely restored Thorens TD160BC Super for Mono (SME and Ortofon 2M Mono SE). How can I not have a MR87 Tuner (the MR88 would not work in this part of the world), a MCD1100 for SACD/CD playback and a MVP891 to complete for video playback (mostly Stereo Video Concerts). Cables? Good ole' McIntosh of course! Seriously, I can't really tell much of a difference between cables and so would not dive deep into paying huge dollars to string these gears together.

And so it goes. The MAIN 70's system vinyl playback system. As most of the vinyls I have collected are either NOS pieces from Audiophile USA or new re-prints from Elusive, although the music is of the same vintage (70's to 80's).

So, what about digital playback? I still have in my possession the Meridian Sooloos C15 & MD600 & MS600 combo. So, I may just, just bring back the all digital system - but in the main living area the DSP8k SE and 800v6 CD/Pre. The thing that is holding me back is the tremendous costs involved (S$80k). A cheaper (far cheaper) alternative would be the latest Devialet Phantom Silver (x2) speakers sitting on their dedicated "branches" and use of their hub to connect all my digital music, TV, Oppo Bluray player at the living area. They do sound way better than the Bose HT system, and not much more (as its stereo vs multi channel).

The monies I saved could then be plough back to collecting mint/restored vintage systems/gears. Come to think of it, I am turning into Vintage Jerry, Singapore's version of Vintage Pete. I remembered calling him "mentor", and so far, I think I am treading this path.

Am I happy? So far I am. One thing for sure, although the itch is still happening once in a while, whenever I see new gears, I am no longer drawn towards (or even think of) getting the setup. In fact, I am more inclined to see my complete "Vintage Of Sorts" system build up and be able to listen to it come July next year. Even more so, I have to do a complete make over of the new place, and that itself is an exciting project as I go hunting around for marble flooring, kitchen cabinets, materials (like Caesarstone countertops, Blum accessories, Grohe taps, Miele Kitchen appliances etc, ... learning about how to place them, design views and perspective with the ID guy as I go hunting with dear wife). And yes, pictures will follow, new place, system and all (and still needed Dan's help to post) once done up.

By the way, I am still holding onto the Aesthetix Rhea Signature Phono Pre and the Dr Feickert (serial number 3), with the Triplanar/Shilabe combo and the Ortofon 309D/SPU Royal GM MKII. If anyone is interested in them, please contact me and I will be glad to sell them to you, at a very attractive price, as long as you can use the voltage (240v) they are build for. The cartridges have very very low hours, less than 25 on each of them as I don't play them much since the day I had them. Only for a few days and thats it.

I am definitely moving on and am excited on the new path. Hopefully, it will bring back the excitement of my schooldays musical experience. CCR, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, James Taylor, ..... and on and on ....

Thats all for now.

Cheers!

Last edited by JSCC; 12-27-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Jerry - Happy Holidays to you and your family!!

Thanks for bringing us up to date on your audio journey. I wonder what next years edition will be like.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:20 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Jerry... I'm excited for you getting my L300's. I wish I could be there when you first open them! They are unquestionably the finest looking L300's I have ever seen; I'm talking a solid 100% aka 10/10.

I know that sounds impossible, but these are a "once in a lifetime" acquisition!

Hirano San CEO for TAD asked me if they were for sale.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 12-26-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Hi Ivan,
Indeed I am grateful and happy I got them from you. Its so prophetic that I wrote in your thread when you first had them, that 'someday', you will sell them to me ... and it happened.
This is THE end of my speakers journey. If there's anything I will add on, its probably a collection of vintage gears.
Thank you so much. I appreciate and am thankful. Oh yes, very happy too.
Cheers!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:32 PM

Hello Jerry,

I'm happy to read your post tonight.

And what a wonderful setup you are building!
Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

A few pics w/ the grilles off.

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES