AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 AM

1. K-03, K-03X, K-03Xs and K-03XD are all different.

2. Unless otherwise stated, showing up on a compatibility list merely implies you should have no problem playing PCM, it does not guarantee native DSD compatibility. You need native DSD compatibility for DSD256 and DSD512 to work.

3. If you are able to play DSD128 but not DSD512, you only got DoP working, but native DSD is not working. Specific support need to be added before it will work.

4. Esoteric N-03T and Lumin U1 have specifically added native DSD compatibility for the Esoteric Master Sound Discrete DAC.

Last edited by wklie; 03-04-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:56 AM

Well, Aurender did a patch for the N20... not good...
They will redo today and try something else...
Odds are not on my side, for now...
Old 03-04-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post

2. Unless otherwise stated, showing up on a compatibility list merely implies you should have no problem playing PCM, it does not guarantee native DSD compatibility. You need native DSD compatibility for DSD256 and DSD512 to work.

3. If you are able to play DSD128 but not DSD512, you only got DoP working, but native DSD is not working. Specific support need to be added before it will work.

4. Esoteric N-03T and Lumin U1 have specifically added native DSD compatibility for the Esoteric Master Sound Discrete DAC.
Agree, but interesting thing is I can play DSD256... and it shows on Esoteric display, but not DSD512
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:

Sorry this is a bit off subject. When I bought my U1 we had no luck getting it to play DSD (at the store) with Aurender or Esoteric dacs by coax or usb from a nas drive. I was ok with pcm thru my K05. Recently I bought a K01x and it will play dsd 64 thru coax only.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:31 PM

K-05 was not even listed in Esoteric's own compatibility list for N-03T (U1 should share the same compatibility), so I'm slightly surprised you got PCM to work:
https://www.esoteric.jp/en/product/n-03t/spec

As for K-01X, I am not aware of a user confirmation of it. However, I did have more than one user confirming to me Lumin U1 worked with USB input of K-03X including DSD.

Last edited by wklie; 03-04-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroS View Post
Agree, but interesting thing is I can play DSD256... and it shows on Esoteric display, but not DSD512
This shows that DSD256 DoP is working. So post #71 point 2 should be corrected to: "You need native DSD compatibility for DSD512 to work."

DSD256 is tricky to determine because the latest Esoteric Discrete DAC support DSD256 DoP, but older ones certainly did not support DSD256 DoP but requiring native DSD256 (e.g. N-05 USB input).
Old 03-05-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
This shows that DSD256 DoP is working. So post #71 point 2 should be corrected to: "You need native DSD compatibility for DSD512 to work."

DSD256 is tricky to determine because the latest Esoteric Discrete DAC support DSD256 DoP, but older ones certainly did not support DSD256 DoP but requiring native DSD256 (e.g. N-05 USB input).
You're right...
In the Esoteric screen, in small letters is DoP, and in big letters DSD11.2
Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 PM

Well, I came here to ask some help towards K-03xd, but I think it's time too to say something about the unit...
Yes, this Esoteric deserves some lines. And some lines of positive aspects...
I'm not a very florist guy regarding sound atributes, I'm more the pragmatic approach... either I like it or I don't.
And this unit, boy, it's a joy to listen. What a big improvement from my previous system. I have made a profound upgrade to my system.
1st, upgraded my Aurender ACS10 to N20. Then my cd transport, a Metronome LePlayer 2S, and the DAC, a Lampizator Amber3, both for the K-03xd. Some reasons behind... 1st I needed a SACD player, so I thought just upgrading the Metronome for a more complete transport and maintaining my DAC. But, by chance, and because I always had a special desire to listen an Esoteric, chance was an K-03xd was available to listen. It blended so well in my system, Sonus Faber Serafino powered by a DartZeel CTH-8550 MkII, that I start to think to upgrade both, the transport and the DAC.
Of course I realised a DSD512 incompatibility, but as I have just 8 albums of such definition, why not go ahead?
Can't be more happy with my decision, and I do believe that sooner than later, as Aurender is talking to Esoteric to understand it, the issue will be solved.

I can only recommend to try and listen to this Esoteric K-03xd, but bear in mind, odds are you get hooked...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:39 AM

As I have told you, because of my DSD compatibility issues, both Aurender and Esoteric joined to find a solution.
And the solution arrived today, Aurender applied a patch to my N20, following Esoteric guidelines.
And now everything works!!
Can't be more happy about the sound these combo produces, but also regarding customer care!!
Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroS View Post
As I have told you, because of my DSD compatibility issues, both Aurender and Esoteric joined to find a solution.
And the solution arrived today, Aurender applied a patch to my N20, following Esoteric guidelines.
And now everything works!!
Can't be more happy about the sound these combo produces, but also regarding customer care!!
Congratulations! No doubt all owners will benefit by your perseverance to get the incompatibility resolved!
Did they say it would be part of an official update?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables