AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Congratulations on your new Sonus Fabers. No doubt you'll love them.

There are quite a few of us fellow owners lurking around here and will be pleased to offer advice (albeit probably wrong). Ask, but the best answer is probably just sitting and listening while moving your speakers around in your own room. Like others, though, I do think you will need to move them out into the room more. (I assume you know that when we speak about distance into the room, we usually speak of the distance from the wall to the tweeter or other drivers - and not the rear of the speaker box)

A good starting point is described in the (excellent) Verity Parsifal Ovation instruction book as "The distance from the "rear" wall to the speaker front baffle (midrange center) should be equalled to the height of your room times 0.62." This has worked with every speaker I've tried it with. Verity obviously calls the wall behind the speakers "the rear wall".

In my system, with SF Guarneri Mementos, the speakers are about 30 inches out from the wall with significant toe-in and I can listen successfully in a wide arc from in front of the right speaker all the way to almost in front of the left with excellent imaging all the way across. Couldn't believe this wide listening area at first - I'm used to having my head clamped in place in a "sweet spot" perfectly centered between the speakers - but the Sonus Fabers are really something special.

Can't wait for your first impressions.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 03-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Julian
My SF Grand Piano Domus speakers will not be here probably till tomorrow. Too much flooding here in New Jersey and surrounding area.

The max I can keep them from the wall behind my speakers/system will be 30" and that is the max. Any more than that and some idiot will bump into them. I don't have many idiots around but do have one pass through on occasion.

I'll work with the toe-in once they arrive.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM

What's the ETA?

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 AM

Drew...welcome to AA. The following three resources may be helpful in dialing in speaker placement in your room. Slightly different approaches but go through them and try out a few of these approaches and see what works:

http://media.avguide.com/excerpt.pdf (Robert Harley's guide to AV setup incl. speaker setup)
http://www.nordost.com/Downloads/Spe...0Placement.pdf (Nordost guide to speaker setup)
http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf (Cardas Audio guide to speaker setup in a rectangular room)

Hope this helps
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
What's the ETA?
ETA ? They arrived yesterday

I will comment far more after I get back from Killington Vt.. I'm leaving today and will hopefully return Friday in one piece. But I will say I did hook them up and they sound unbelievably good. I need to work alittle on placement but I am not far off right now. I'm too hung over right now to comment further.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Drew...welcome to AA. The following three resources may be helpful in dialing in speaker placement in your room. Slightly different approaches but go through them and try out a few of these approaches and see what works:

http://media.avguide.com/excerpt.pdf (Robert Harley's guide to AV setup incl. speaker setup)
http://www.nordost.com/Downloads/Spe...0Placement.pdf (Nordost guide to speaker setup)
http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf (Cardas Audio guide to speaker setup in a rectangular room)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

How do they sound???? Can't wait for your first impressions. . . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 PM

My first impression? I could have cried they sound so good.

I am waiting until I get things dialed in before posting my thoughts. I have also been away for a couple weeks and have not had a lot of time to sit and really listen.

What I can say right now with out question is that they are pretty good

I have them about 31 inches from the back/front wall. I have flipped some tubes around and love what I have heard.

What do I do to keep the leather in it's perfect condition?

Thanks guys/gals
Drew
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=I believe that it would be a big mistake to shove these or any speakers up against the front wall

8 INCHES is simply not enough room to let these speakers breathe, even with the front loaded port which helps out with not so boomy bass but I highly value a 3D soundstage. Without depth - it doesn't sound right to me.

Pull em out away from the walls at least a couple of feet - more if you got the space.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more. The hardest thing with the GP Domus is proper speaker placement of which there is no holy grail placement.

I took me close to a month to find the best spot for me, my room, listening style, associated equipment etc.
Just know you bought a Ferrari. Although it may be some time until you squeeze every ounce of performance, just know the its more than capable of making the hairs stand up on the back of your neck

Last edited by bodiezaffa; 12-05-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Congrats Polker!
grand piano domus use a VIFA xt25 tweeter ?