AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-07-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroen View Post
Thanks everyone. Its good to get it back.

Was told it has two plastic clips that attach it to the board. You just need to push the clips back in place, as I must have been too forceful when holding it in for the 10 seconds trying to revive it. Sounds like an easy enough job to do
That's correct. The same thing happened to mine. The small board that contacts the buttons came loose during shipping. If anyone has problems with the buttons, its likely you just need to take the top off and snap the board back into the retaining clips. It takes about 5 min.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I had a similar problem when I had a MAC6700, some sort of "blip" caused it to get corrupted, had to have the dealer do his magic to clear and install the then latest version. After that, had my power conditioner connected to an APC battery backup unit, in the hopes that a momentary blip in the power caused the corruption.

Glad you got this solved! I have a C2500 and since I use an external DAC, and don't use a turntable (just use the DAC to C2500 input), don't feel I need to fool with C2500 firmware updates. From what others post here, they can be flakey!

Congrats on getting the C2500 back, sweet sounding preamp!
I had my MAC6700 connected to an APC20S battery backup and it still got the firmware disease from a minor blip.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 PM

ugh i dropped my arc and shindo gear to get mcintosh, and not worry about reliability 10-20-30 years down the road. did i make a mistake with my c2500, now im thinking about a c22
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Besides the issues with the internal DAC, I have not heard of any other problems.

You should be good [emoji4]
Old 09-10-2017, 06:20 PM

I purchased my C2500 in January of this year, it was NOS. It has performed flawlessly. Like many, I use an outboard DAC but I have tried the internal DAC and it performed fine with my Mac Mini. I have two turntables, MM and MC and a stand alone Multi Format Digital Disc Player along with the outboard DAC plugged into the 2500 and the darn thing has been bullet proof.
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Retired

Thus far my McIntosh gear has been very reliable. A diode blew in my MC2255 about 20yr ago when the amp was ~15yr old and the laser died in my my MVP861 after ~10yr of use. Do think that there is "too much electronics" in our modern gear. Especially the firmware/software based 'stuph'. It took 4 or 5 rels to get the firmware right in my MA6600. Hopefully it stays 'right'.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarmstrong View Post
That's correct. The same thing happened to mine. The small board that contacts the buttons came loose during shipping. If anyone has problems with the buttons, its likely you just need to take the top off and snap the board back into the retaining clips. It takes about 5 min.
Is it the board that needs to be snapped back into retaining clips or the cable snapped back into the board?

Thanks

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
It took 4 or 5 rels to get the firmware right in my MA6600. Hopefully it stays 'right'.
LOL. Remember, there's no such thing as perfect or, for that matter, intermittent software. Only software with latent defects that are waiting to be discovered.

Software/firmware companies always release software with known issues some of which are not critical and some, unfortunately, that are. Management simply makes the determination whether or not they can live the fallout from doing so.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Is it the board that needs to be snapped back into retaining clips or the cable snapped back into the board?

Thanks
I don't recall an issue with the cable connection. In my case the board had come loose on one end so some of the buttons had to be pushed in deeper to make contact the switch or would not reach the switch at all. After snapping the board back in, all the buttons worked normally.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarmstrong View Post
I don't recall an issue with the cable connection. In my case the board had come loose on one end so some of the buttons had to be pushed in deeper to make contact the switch or would not reach the switch at all. After snapping the board back in, all the buttons worked normally.
Thanks TJ!

I'll have a look in the next day or two.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.