Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Default Sonus faber at RMAF

Stradivari - Evergreen Ballroom A
Elipsa - 8017
Liuto Wood - 8013
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM

metaphacts...can you tell us what the associated gear is going to be in each of the rooms. Thanks very much.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
metaphacts...can you tell us what the associated gear is going to be in each of the rooms. Thanks very much.
Not positive as yet.

Strad - Sim and new Peachtree multi-format DAC
Elipsa - Sim
Liuto - Prima Luna

are the preliminary things I've heard.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Anybody hear the SF's at the show? Pics?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotshooter View Post
Anybody hear the SF's at the show? Pics?
I did but then David and I set them up.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 AM

I did comment on the Strads and Elipsa's in the RMAF Thread. I forgot to take a picture of the Strads in the Peachtree room and really didn't pay much attention to the Liuto's.

As I noted in a couple of different posts in that thread, the Elipsa's sounded very good in the room driven by some mid-level Simaudio Moon Series gear. I can understand why so many of you like this speaker.

The Strad's sounded good but not great. They were in a large ballroom/meeting room and sounded like they needed a bigger Simaudio amp. The amp they were using was behind the doors of a cabinet but I am guessing it was probably the I-7 Integrated not their better Evolution amps. (I do like Simaudio gear)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elipsa.jpg (91.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg ElipsaMoon.jpg (92.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Still-One; 10-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

David Solomon is a great friend and has helped Sumiko on many many occasions over the years. He had never asked anything in return for his help until he asked to use the Strads for his new iDAC debut. We were happy to help.

The Peachtree Room was a challenge. Due to a snafu, we didn't get cables for the system until after midnight Thursday. Nothing to get upset about. These things happen at shows where you are in a room with gear provided by multiple parties. Still it was frustrating and David, ever the consummate gentleman, apologized profusely for the delay though it was not his fault.

By that time the Peachtree folks had arranged the room and it wasn't changing. If we had a choice we would have put the system on the opposite wall. Even when we did get sound from the system, it was not with the cables that were ultimately used. Those showed up Thursday after the show opened.

I would agree with your assessment of the Strads. As we set them up, we were aware of the desire for more power. Even though David is intimately familiar with Strads at their very best, given the system, the room, and his expectations, he was very happy.

On the way back from Denver on Monday, audiosalon and I set up a pair of Strads in a wonderful room using an Ayre/Doshi/Berning front end. Now those were great!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
David Solomon is a great friend and has helped Sumiko on many many occasions over the years. He had never asked anything in return for his help until he asked to use the Strads for his new iDAC debut. We were happy to help.

The Peachtree Room was a challenge. Due to a snafu, we didn't get cables for the system until after midnight Thursday. Nothing to get upset about. These things happen at shows where you are in a room with gear provided by multiple parties. Still it was frustrating and David, ever the consummate gentleman, apologized profusely for the delay though it was not his fault.

By that time the Peachtree folks had arranged the room and it wasn't changing. If we had a choice we would have put the system on the opposite wall. Even when we did get sound from the system, it was not with the cables that were ultimately used. Those showed up Thursday after the show opened.

I would agree with your assessment of the Strads. As we set them up, we were aware of the desire for more power. Even though David is intimately familiar with Strads at their very best, given the system, the room, and his expectations, he was very happy.

On the way back from Denver on Monday, audiosalon and I set up a pair of Strads in a wonderful room using an Ayre/Doshi/Berning front end. Now those were great!
I figured it had to be something along those lines. Thanks for the update.

What did you think of the Doshi gear? Did you also get to hear it aired with the Sasha's by any chance?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I figured it had to be something along those lines. Thanks for the update.

What did you think of the Doshi gear? Did you also get to hear it aired with the Sasha's by any chance?
In a room you don't know with a mixed palate of gear and cables, it's very hard to know where to assign the attributes. We weren't there to change the system but to set it up with the gear provided. One issue I have with the Doshi (or almost any other stepped volume control) is that the steps are simply too large for me. In my experience there is a precise proper playback level for any given music/system/room combination and to overshoot or undershoot limits the ultimate performance of the system. All that said, the system was superb and I really enjoyed the aesthetic and feel of the Doshi.

Was in the Paragon room before they were set up because Larry and Nick were using an SME20/SMEV combo. Came up every day but the room was always packed. Never really got a chance to get past the door and listen seriously. There was a guy walking around the show playing tapes on his StellaMaster who was in there one morning. Even from the hallway with an open door, the magic of the Stella was obvious.

Also found out that Nick lives about 10 minutes from me. Perhaps I'll get to spend some quality time with the Doshi gear soon.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Here's a few pics of the Strads on the large ballroom Peachtree displayed in & the Elipsas up in the SF room.

Wish the Strads were set up & powered differently -- but that has been explained.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (90.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.jpg (91.8 KB, 30 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.