AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Practically and functionally speaking, its virtually no different than a pair of interconnects. My first setup was a $75 AudioQuest Cinnamon ethernet cable going from my Apple Airport express into my Sonore. The Airport Express was on the top shelf of the rack and the Ethernet cable ran from it down to the Sonore on the shelf below. Easy.
Yes, that is true - with the airport express it is probably a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
That gets a little dicier. Great question though, and that really can make for a whole night of discussion.

It really depends on the equipment. A bad DAC, CD player, or streamer could make your whole system suck, while the best source ever won’t be revealing if an amp or preamp is colored. Assuming the source is adequate, speakers > amp > preamp.

In my opinion, find the sound you like in the speakers, preamp, & amp, then seek a better source (if needed).
Thanks - now, i am wondering if i should maybe cut back on the streamer and accelerate the c1100 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
One thing I meant to mention, speakers, amps, and pre amps can stay in my system for longer periods, digital equipment becomes obsolete much faster IMO. I prefer the idea of a single box DAC that can be replaced as formats and technology change saving you from replacing a bigger more expensive item. I started with a Mac and B&W system 8 years ago and still use the amps with HT and use the 803d2 as rears. Enjoy for many years!

Dave
Thanks dave - yes, the relatively low lifespan of DAC’s also has me second guessing the d1100 in terms of prioritization.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Good luck, ufguy, with your journey and let us know how it goes for you.

best regards...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Good luck, ufguy, with your journey and let us know how it goes for you.

best regards...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM

I think your choice of speakers and amps are spot on. You can't go wrong there IMO.

The D1100 was added to my system first. C1100 only a few weeks later, maybe I should change some wiring up and compare the D1100 only pre for some time to see how it now compares.

My lowly BlueSound Node 2i, Sonos Connect, amazing Marantz SA-10 and PS4 all feed into the D1100. Right now I have been more than happy with the $500 streamer hooked up with $600-$800 AQ digital cables. Is there better out there? Sure. Will I get better? At some point.

I type this reply as I listen to Jared Leto voice magically appears above my B&W HTM1D3 speaker that is not getting powered and the soundstage extends beyond my 800s that are 11 feet apart. The holographic image that is produced with the combination of the D1100 and C1100 with the Diamonds has been something never fails to impress. Something I never heard in the store on demo. Something that is being streamed from the network.

I've always believed in the journey. So what if some of the gear is leaps and bounds above some of the other gear. I started at the top with the speakers. That's where I want to be. I don't have a desire for speakers above the 800s. So with those out of the way, I get to enjoy them now and with every change in the future. The changes I make to all the cheaper gear leading up to the 800s is like rediscovering my system. The sources and cables will change before DAC. The DAC will change before the tube pre-amp, which will go before the amplification which will change before the speakers.

Right now I'm happy with the sources, they work and sound amazing with the supporting act. Maybe I will look into the Sonare, among others. Plus side? D1100 has something like 8 inputs. And just because the next DAC comes out doesn't make the D1100 any worse. By the time you buy something digital is practically out of date anyways. Sources especially.

Plus the stack of the D1100, C1100 with matching handles from Ivan looks damn good with the handles on the McAmps

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 03-19-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post

Plus the stack of the D1100, C1100 with matching handles from Ivan looks damn good with the handles on the McAmps
See, that is my krytponite when it comes to the contemplating the d1100 - the combination with the c1100 lol

So, would it be fair to say you would suggest (particularly helpful, as you own several of the same pieces I am thinking about) an initial combination of 800’s, 611’s, c1100, and bluenote?

Upgrade over time from there?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM

I would recommend all that. While I don’t have monos currently as I am using a pair of MC303s, my plan has always been to move the 303s to surrounds and atmos as I get monos for the front, most likely 1.25KWs

I like the C1100, it has 2 outputs that can be turned off and on easily, good for a 2nd zone or A/B speakers. It also has Home Theater Passthrough which I use as my room is not just 2 channel. I also use my C1100 for my photo stage of my RPM-10 Carbon as I am not as serious with vinyl as some.

Matched with the Mc amps and stereo mono cables you can turn off or on the backlight to all the Mac gear from the remote easily. Once the D1100 is added you just connect the control cable to the C1100 and run the Fixed Output of D1100 to input #6 of the C1100.

From there you have control of the D1100 and the inputs are now shown on the C1100.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 AM

So, I’d like to revisit my original query.

i have recently purchased a home so cash flow is still a bit tight...as I have been thinking about an initial, scaled down vision of my intended target state (i.e. c1100, large mono amps, and my grail b&w 800’s).

It seemed the overwhelming consensus was to prioritize speakers and build components over time off that foundation. In that spirit, I am curious if using something like the ma9000 would be totally wasting the 800 speakers?

Obviously, there is a large cost savings in going with an integrated and if I would still be able to realize some of the benefits of the 800’s vs a different speaker with that setup, it could be a good interim solution for me in balancing current costs, still having my foundation of 800 speakers, and a fairly easy sale or repurposing of the integrated when the time comes.

Thoughts? Do I need to definitively step up to some level of separates to truly enjoy the 800 speakers in this interim phase?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
So, I’d like to revisit my original query.

i have recently purchased a home so cash flow is still a bit tight...as I have been thinking about an initial, scaled down vision of my intended target state (i.e. c1100, large mono amps, and my grail b&w 800’s).

It seemed the overwhelming consensus was to prioritize speakers and build components over time off that foundation. In that spirit, I am curious if using something like the ma9000 would be totally wasting the 800 speakers?

Obviously, there is a large cost savings in going with an integrated and if I would still be able to realize some of the benefits of the 800’s vs a different speaker with that setup, it could be a good interim solution for me in balancing current costs, still having my foundation of 800 speakers, and a fairly easy sale or repurposing of the integrated when the time comes.

Thoughts? Do I need to definitively step up to some level of separates to truly enjoy the 800 speakers in this interim phase?

Thanks!
Plenty of power. 300w and 90dB efficient, 8ohm nominal, 3 ohm minimum speaker is a great combo. Because of your large listening space you may someday benefit from more power depending on your listening preferences but the spl levels you’ll be able to achieve even from 300w may be all you ever need if you listen at sane levels. In fact under most listening conditions you’ll be using much less power than 300. My room is about the same size and I listen to a tube amp that has 1/5 the power of the MA9000 and my speakers are less efficient albeit not quite as power hungry as the B&W800. You’ll be just fine for a very long time.

The separates over integrated will yield much less difference than you are imaging they will.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Plenty of power. 300w and 90dB efficient, 8ohm nominal, 3 ohm minimum speaker is a great combo. Because of your large listening space you may someday benefit from more power depending on your listening preferences but the spl levels you’ll be able to achieve even from 300w may be all you ever need if you listen at sane levels. In fact under most listening conditions you’ll be using much less power than 300. My room is about the same size and I listen to a tube amp that has 1/5 the power of the MA9000 and my speakers are less efficient albeit not quite as power hungry as the B&W800. You’ll be just fine for a very long time.

The separates over integrated will yield much less difference than you are imaging they will.
Many thanks, Serge!

The 800’s would still be worth it vs something like the 803’s? They sure seemed unequivocally better in the store - but of course that wasn’t thru an integrated like the ma9000!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Many thanks, Serge!

The 800’s would still be worth it vs something like the 803’s? They sure seemed unequivocally better in the store - but of course that wasn’t thru an integrated like the ma9000!
Speakers are a very personal preference type of thing and the most important purchase you will make in the grand scheme of things. Listen carefully and choose wisely. If selling an integrated like the MA9000 will be rather painless, selling speakers to upgrade later is not for many reasons.