AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 PM

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/...heir-catalogs/

What is this MQA? It’s Master Quality Authenticated which means in MQA-speak that the sound is authentic to the “studio master.” Many of these studio masters are high-resolution files the label has already created. Some are just 16/44 but even there MQA applies Bob Stuart’s temporal de-blurring filters that eliminate one of the biggest monsters of bad digital: pre and post ringing.

But the skeptics say, “OK fine, but what about fresh titles?” Well here is the good news from Forsyth: All three major labels have signed on. Warner, Universal, and Sony are onboard. Merlin, which represents the independent community, is also on board. It gets even better. All three labels and the independent community have signed a contract with MQA. That contract has terms that require a full catalog conversion to MQA.

“Okay fine Lee, but that will take years… when is this happening?” It’s already begun. MQA files are coming out fast. Look at the 10K+ titles on Tidal. They just started in January 2017 with MQA. By September 31st, Tidal had added in a whopping seven times the total amount of high-res files that existed pre-MQA. If you like high-res, this is the best chance to get more of it.

What’s happened behind the scenes is that engineering teams at each label have been given a demo of the sound quality in A/Bs and there has been technical discussion and qualification. The label’s sound engineers had to approve the soundness of the engineering before the label would commit. So these labels are onboard from an engineering standpoint. The MQA file is only limited by its source file, many of which are high-res digital now.
So think about all the tracks the four major labels have committed to… that must be millions of tracks, right? Yes. Millions.

So with MQA-enabled software apps, MQA converters, or both, we get mountains of catalogs in high-res? Yes.

Why all the controversy on the internet? MQA is a gift to audiophiles who are experienced enough to know the magic of a good high-res file.
And that, my friends, is very good news.

Last edited by PHC1; 03-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Exactly. It’s a fools errand to spit in the face of MQA. We are gaining access to the master files. The other formats will still exist for quite some time and consumers will decide what’s right for them. For those that want the highest resolution, it’s now available for $20/month, and soon will feature a nearly endless library.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 03-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Retired

Well, Serge................ can say that you have certainly "drunk the MQA cool-aid". Personally, I much prefer choice.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Well, Serge................ can say that you have certainly "drunk the MQA cool-aid". Personally, I much prefer choice.
Have you ever heard MQA ?

Last edited by 1KW; 03-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Just sharing the article which I thought would point out some interesting facts. I am in no rush to embrace MQA but certainly will if and when I feel it is time for me to move on to an MQA DAC. Perfectly happy with Tidal/Roon and CD/SACD and some high resolution downloads so far.

Last edited by PHC1; 03-11-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Just sharing the article which I thought would point out some interesting facts. I am in no rush to embrace MQA but certainly will if and when I feel it is time for me to move on to an MQA DAC. Perfectly happy with Tidal/Roon and CD/SACD and some high resolution downloads so far.
Thought you were posting your agreement. Mia culpa.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thought you were posting your agreement. Mia culpa.
It is an interesting topic and does concern the future of music source since the trend is certainly going towards the digital age of streaming at break neck speed. I’m certainly for any technology that promotes higher quality and quantity of music to enjoy. This hobby needs any stimulation it can get to survive.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Racing Hoopties

We seem so quick to place judgements on each other for whichever side of the discussion (emphasis on discussion) one seems to be on.

Raising a point of concern on the potential abuse of MQA is not panic. Nor is the following it without hesitation sticking your head in the sand.

I honesty don’t feel like I am on any side. Couldn’t care less if MQA succeeds or fails. As long as we all enjoy free choice of formats, we all win either way.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-11-2018, 09:02 PM

Default MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Exactly. It’s a fools errand to spit in the face of MQA. We are gaining access to the master files. The other formats will still exist for quite some time and consumers will decide what’s right for them. For those that want the highest resolution, it’s now available for $20/month, and soon will feature a nearly endless library.

You may be right that it’s a fool’s errand to spit in the face of MQA, and I don’t think that’s anyone’s intent. For Tidal, streaming MQA may be the best solution, especially if you have limited bandwidth. However in Europe you can already get the high res from Qobuz without the need for MQA, and this will probably be available in the US this year or next.

My caution flag (not panic, or spitting) is that the ultimate stated goal for both MQA and the majors who have signed on is not just for streaming, but for all downloads and CDs to be MQA-encoded. If we’re gaining access to the master files, we’re only gaining access to what a single company, MQA, has “certified” as a master, and only if we use their proprietary key to unlock it. An MQA “master” means that the studio or label has paid MQA a fee to encode their master, so that you can pay a fee through your equipment purchase to decode it. Some labels, including many classical labels, are already providing “master” files for download without any MQA certification required or licensing fees, or any encoding or decoding other than the open-source flac. It seems to be primarily the major labels who are concerned about piracy and are signing on to this technology, not for sound quality reasons, but to protect their masters.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-12-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:13 PM

I guess even after reading all this I'm still not sure what the fear is... The potential to stream Hi-Res for much much cheaper? Only having a format that can deliver Hi-Res? Having access to Hi-Res material that you've never been able to have before? The potential of getting a generation or more of iPhone listeners into buying better gear because they're already basically paying for Hi-Res why not upgrade just a little? Because the chance for more people to get into better than crap audio would be awful for all of us!

Here is my thinking. First MQA I've listen to was Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface. Was blown away by the depth and detail. Only reason I tried it was because it just cost me a Bluesound Node 2 at $499 to add MQA into my system. But here is the deal for me, HD Tracks has Blurryface for $17.98. Next up was Imagine Dragons - Evolve ($17.98). Then probably was Steely Dan - Two Against Nature ($19.98). So if I purchased the Hi-Res versions I would have spent $55.94 on 3 albums. Or I can just subscribe to Tidal. Save on buying 25 albums and I've paid or the Node 2. 100 albums buys you a banging full Res DAC. 1000 albums is an amazing system.

Also, you guys aren't thinking about bandwidth from the providers end either. Yea, you might have 100 Mbps at your house, which I'm lucky enough to have. But the pipe needed to have a boat load of people pulling Hi-Res would be astronomical. I still have issues streaming on occasion because Tidal's server are jam packed.

Granted I HATE Tidal. The recommendations suck, their interface is crappy (IMHO), I get buffering during peak times, and Jay-Z is an awful human-being. Spotify or anyone else comes out with a competitive service I'll drop them so fast Jay-Z head will spin. But till then I'm pumped about MQA and my ability to listen to tens of thousands of Hi-Res tracks without having to remortgage the house or sell my daughter.

I also listen about 70% on Hi-Fi and 20% on Headphones and 10% in car. So Hi-Res is great on the Hi-Fi but what about when I'm out and about? Eventually I should be able to stream MQA on my LG V30 (which can play MQA files I'm told). I'd love to listen to the Hi-Res on my Focal Elears from my phone in my pocket not breaking the company data plan. I mean seriously, listening to Hi-Res from your pocket? Add flying cars and we're in The Jetsons!