AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Greetings from NC

Default TT setup Protractors

Interested in locating a protractor that is of reasonable cost that is accurate and also easy to use. I want to initially check my Rega TT setup but also want it to be usable with a future VPI Classic 3 or comparable other manufacturer. My TT is the weak link and I enjoy listening to vinyl so I plan to upgrade hopefully later this year. I read the posts for SMARTractor and found the link High End Audio - SMARTractor - VANA Ltd. - Home of Vienna Acoustics, Primare, IsoTek, Feickert, Acoustical Systems & Blue Horizon and found AccuTrak as well accutrak.us/rega.html REGA PROTRACTOR - AccuTrak Arc Protractors Cartridge Alignment Made Easy. Would prefer to keep the cost to a few hundred or less unless the benefits of a more expensive device is overwhelming. Thanks, Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Last edited by jdandy; 02-10-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Active link to non-sponsor seller against forum rules.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
Interested in locating a protractor that is of reasonable cost that is accurate and also easy to use. I want to initially check my Rega TT setup but also want it to be usable with a future VPI Classic 3 or comparable other manufacturer. My TT is the weak link and I enjoy listening to vinyl so I plan to upgrade hopefully later this year. I read the posts for SMARTractor and found the link High End Audio - SMARTractor - VANA Ltd. - Home of Vienna Acoustics, Primare, IsoTek, Feickert, Acoustical Systems & Blue Horizon and found AccuTrak as well accutrak.us/rega.html REGA PROTRACTOR - AccuTrak Arc Protractors Cartridge Alignment Made Easy. Would prefer to keep the cost to a few hundred or less unless the benefits of a more expensive device is overwhelming. Thanks, Jim
Vana is the US distributor for Acoustical Systems

The UniPRO-Protractor, on which the SMARTractor is based, is easily the best I've used. SMARTractor reviews here and here. After that may come the Feickert; while I liked its P2S instrument, its cartridge alignment was a bit less precise.

There are only a few products that achieve high precision with high ease of use. Spending less often reduces one of those factors. If low cost is a higher priority, I'd trade off ease of use for precision, and there, prefer the Wally Tractor.

Don't forget about azimuth!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM

Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disc....
Simple,accurate ,easy to use and costs around $50.00

Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcom View Post
Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disc.... Simple,accurate ,easy to use and costs around $50.00
+1
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM

I have compared the results of my $100 MintLP protractor to a new gen Feikert and the MintLP was spot on to the Feikert setting. The MintLP is tonearm dependant (mine was for a Rega RB1000 arm).
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 AM

I have the MintLP, have to say it is probably one of the best, but as the OP, and others recognize, it is tonearm dependent.

As for sight line Protractors, I have 2 on hand, bought previous to the MintLP, the Geodisc, and the Mirror Protractor sold by Turntable Basics I believe it was.

The one from Turntable Basics was only about a $24 Tractor, and IMO is as good, if not slightly better than the Geodisc. I liked the mirror feature, and if memory serves me correctly, the TB Tractor has two null grids for another check of proper Zenith Alignment, whereas the Geodisc only has one null grid.

Both are susceptible to sighting errors, dependent upon how good your alignment skills are, in determining center of Arm Pivot. And either can be enhanced and further 'accurized" by the use of a simple piece of thread to extend the sight line to the Arm Pivot.
Hope this helps.

AFAIK, all I mention use Baerwald Geometry. Not sure if the Regas go by such?
Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 02-14-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcom View Post
Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disc....
Simple,accurate ,easy to use and costs around $50.00

Just got a Geo-Disk to align my old Rega 25. The instructions are rather cryptic and surprisingly I couldn't find a "how to" youtube. Question is what is the "lateral pivot point" to align "A"-"B"? The is only one pivot in the horizontal axis.

Steve
Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post
Just got a Geo-Disk to align my old Rega 25. The instructions are rather cryptic and surprisingly I couldn't find a "how to" youtube. Question is what is the "lateral pivot point" to align "A"-"B"? The is only one pivot in the horizontal axis.

Steve
Line "A-B" is the sight line you then aim at the tonearm's pivot.

As I previously mention, one can tape a piece of thread at point A, rotate the Geodisc, and looking from straight overhead align the thread to the point A-B line and follow through with the thread held taught to the Arm Pivot.

Some secure the platter with some means, a piece of foam sponge, magic eraser, etc so the platter then stays put while aligning the geodisc.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd51 View Post
Line "A-B" is the sight line you then aim at the tonearm's pivot.

As I previously mention, one can tape a piece of thread at point A, rotate the Geodisc, and looking from straight overhead align the thread to the point A-B line and follow through with the thread held taught to the Arm Pivot.

Some secure the platter with some means, a piece of foam sponge, magic eraser, etc so the platter then stays put while aligning the geodisc.
This is one of the areas where higher-priced tools such the SmarTractor and Feickert add their value. Their stylus alignment grids are not positioned by eye-balling a line or string, but physically position themselves to the tonearm pivot point. This gets both an accurate pivot to spindle position and correct setup for the stylus alignment. The stylus alignment on the SmarTractor uses a pinpoint mark into which the stylus point sits and uses a mirror with parallax effect to insure your eye is seeing the cantilever straight-on.

It is possible to use an eye-ball method but they are prone to difficulty and sometimes to frustration. If you manage to get your eyes looking exactly perpendicular to the platter from overhead, the slightest head or eye movement, even breathing, can create inaccuracy. Pre-position some painters tape or similar to immediately lock the device to the turntable as soon as you think you've got it right; and make sure you have immobilized the platter beforehand. The human factors also make repeatability an issue. Always worthwhile to come back next day or so and put the tool back in place to double-check how well you did.

It's easy to say that with a 5 or 6-figure cartridge you want the best possible alignment so you'll get your money's worth, so extra dollars for a better tool can pay dividends over time. But it's also about the software investment as it is too easy to damage your records with poor stylus alignment.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM

I agree Tima, what you have said is one shortcoming of such Sight Line Protractors.

One reason why I lastly chose an Arc Type. (MintLP)

I imagine even with these, there can be error, in that if you have a Arc Type Protractor designed for your particular Table-Arm, and the prescribed Spindle-Pivot Distance, and Null Points. And then the numbers aren't jiving

Let's say that 232mm S-P which a particular Arm may be, one may think is supposed to be correct from the factory when it was installed on a Table, but actually isn't?

That the actual S-P is 235mm? I would then assume this error in S-P Distance by as little as 2mm will skew what one might think to be a perfect Alignment with the thought to be correct-precise Arc Type Protractor.

Was one reason why, when I had my custom Plinth fabricated, and drilled, I wanted to be assured 100% that the machinist would be right on the money with that S-P Spec.

Fanatical, and precise he was, he got that measurement to +- .003" with his huge Dial Calipers. The Calipers might've cost more than my Table! LOL

My old original HW-19 Plinth from VPI was quite far off the stated spec.

Of course, it's another reason also, why headshells are slotted.

Last edited by Markd51; 02-16-2015 at 04:38 PM.