AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 PM

Default ML Summit X vs Magnepan 3.6r

Any comments on how these two stack up against each other? The ML is more than 3x the cost so what do you get for that additional cost, aside form the powered bass modules?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM

The r&r that went into the design for the cross-overs, 2 subs that are supposed to be there that you can tune to certain degrees, aesthetics are totally different depending on your tastes, smaller foot-print, a slightly more forward/brighter sound for the ML's, easy to move on your own, Wife Acceptance Factor, 2 class d amps & on & on. I'm sure someone could do something the same in the 3.6's favour, I listen to both & bought the Summit X's. By the way, the ML's are also Absolute Sounds 2012 Golden Air award
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 AM

I'd be cautious in ascribing a "sound" to the Martin Logans. Their sound is largely determined by what's upstream, esp. the front-end.

What you get is that exquisite, to die for, electrostatic midrange, transparency and low level resolution. I've yet to hear a dynamic speaker that can match the low level resolution of the Summit-X (now that doesn't mean that dynamic drivers don't do other things well!).
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM

you get an electrostat with no crossover in the entire stat panel - simply put - more transparency, resolution and coherence. The Logan is more dough - but for a reason. Also, yu will be surprised at the dynamic heft a summit has with 2 10" woofers per channel.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I never owned the Summit X, but I did own the original Summit, and also owned the Magnepan 3.6r, and I'd say that both have strengths and weaknesses. Both are great speakers and if initial cost is a factor, the Maggies would probably not disappoint you.

A more realistic and better comparison would be the latest generation of each of the speakers - The Summit X and the Magnepan 3.7 rather than the 3.6.

The Magnepan is still a lot less cash outlay than the Martin Logan and it is extraordinary sounding. To me a fuller sound, bigger soundstage while the M.L. is more transparent - you can see through the image and you can see through the speaker itself - which may be a benefit in some cases.

As witness by my pictures below of a pair of Magnepan 20.1's that I once owned - and the Summits that I also owned.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

I haven't had Maggies in my system, but I have heard the 3.6s in two other systems and the 20.1s in yet another system. I think the Maggies have similar tranparency to the source as MLs, but not quite as resolving and, correspondingly, more forgiving. As I told a musician friend of mine who records his own music (not an audiophile, but respects our, ahem, 'enthusiasm'), "If you don't want me to hear it, make sure it doesn't get recorded."
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm actually thinking of these as an alternative (not to replace) my Magico Mini 2's. Julian, I noticed you've moved on to dynamic speakers, and I'm specially familiar and love the Guarneris. Why did you make the move away from these planar/stats? Just like you, I. Running JL Audio F 112's with my Magico.

Btw, I 've heard the Summit x's and it's smaller brother, the Montis and was quite impressed. OTOH, Ive heard the both the 3.6 and 3.7 at dealer showrooms and was disappointed, sound was artificially detailed and thin. I know there must have been something wrong with the set up considering how Maggies have been touted to rival speakers several times there cost in all aspects save for the lowest frequencies. The reason I mention the 3.6 as a candidate is cuz the former local magnepan dealer here still has a brand new unit in stock at a substantial discount.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM

I owned the 3.6s for many years prior to purchasing the 3.7s (delivered 3/11). Frankly I have not experienced the 3.7s to be a major improvement over the 3.6s w/ the ARC electronics in my system (admittedly not latest/greatest). I found the 3.7s to be incrementally more coherent w/ incrementally deeper bass and most noticably a "throttled back" ribbon better integrated into the midrange likely thanks to the new first order crossover. The 3.6s ribbon could be a little hot, but when I changed out my ARC LS16MkI for the Ref 3 in 2008 the ribbon mellowed considerably, so yes Maggies are sensitive to what they are fed. Neither speaker could be called "thin" in my experience and they are notoriously sensitive to proper placement so I'd strongly advise a demo in your own home if possible. Had I done that I likely would have passed on the 3.7s and kept the 3.6s.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks djcxxx, I'm currently driving the mini's with ARC ref 40 and the ref 250. Im quite familiar with the ARC VT series and the pre Kt 120 tubed reference amps and if you want more "meat to the bones" I suggest you give the new Ref Amps an audition. It may have been you who posted elsewhere of the incremental improvement if the 3.7 over the 3.6. If not, that makes two of you with a similar experience.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM

I've given some serious consideration to auditioning the Ref 250, a logical upgrade to my VT200MkI. Certainly would be interesting to hear what the Ref 250 does for the 3.7s. If you audition the 3.7s w/ your system I'd be interested in your impressions.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.