AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Sonus Faber, China & the future

Offshoring Hifi: Good for Profit, Bad for Everything Else « The Sophisticated Audiophile

I found the above article relevant in lieu of Sonus faber's recent announcement of the new "made in China" Venere entry-level line of speakers.

You might disagree or agree with what the author has to say (I know I have my own strong opinions on the subject), but at least it is an interesting read.

First production run has been purchased in full by Magnolia/Best Buy, it seems. It breaks my heart to think of the possibilities. If this doesn't work out for the brand, for whatever reason, I can see Best Buy liquidating them on a badly-run floor by a 25-year-old underpaid manager who never heard a proper stereo system in his life (least of all of Franco Serblin), powered by an Onkyo receiver and/or next to a cheapo home-theater-in-a-box system. That is an extreme example, and I exaggerate, of course, but such things have been known to happen.

Have we also forgotten what the name "Sonus faber" means/stands for?

A couple of additional things to consider:
- if the Venere line will be sold at Magnolia, how can small dealers compete with such a retail giant?
- How will this affect the resale value of the rest of the lines?

We will have to wait and see, of course. The folks running these companies obviously know what they are doing. I just hope the bottom line is not only the bottom line.

I admit my respect/admiration for the brand is a little bruised at the moment. Then again, I have been known to worry too much about things beyond my control.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Hi Esteban,

I wrote that. I refrained from discussing it here because I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Anyway, I can't say I'm happy about the Best Buy situation, but it's business and they have to do what they need to in order to survive. I'm certainly not privy to business dealings etc. I'm on the outside looking in, and just voicing my opinions and concerns.

My main issue with Best Buy lies with how the speakers themselves are usually presented. When they got a hold of B&W speakers, some of their stores with Magnolia centers in them at least tried to pair the speakers up with decent electronics and amplification. At the time, I rationalized it as B&W expanding their wings and that more people would be exposed to hifi etc. I thought it wasn't such a bad thing. As time went on, the speakers became available in the regular, non Magnolia Best Buys and it was just sad. First of all, those stores don't really sell separates, so everything was connected to run of the mill receivers. They had speakers like the CM9 connected to $300 Sony receivers and things of that nature. Not to mention that the way most Best Buys are laid out, you can't optimally listen to speakers. They just had them in the middle of the floor, next to tons of LCD displays and other general purpose AV stuff. Most of the tweeters on the floor model speakers were pushed in as well. How can you demo anything properly in that kind of environment?

So is this what we have to look forward to? Sonus Faber speakers connected to mass market receivers in a big box chain store?

Good luck to SF, and I truly hope it works out for the best, but as someone who knows what Best Buy is, I can't say this is good news for brand image.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
The folks running these companies obviously know what they are doing.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM

---I agree with Atane's above comments; this is the world we live in, the business thing, and it don't always work for the best.

It's up to us to differentiate and accomodate ourselves better than what's offered. ...The right matching components. ...And from various places; not just from one spot.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM

I remember taking a tour of the Klipsch factory in Hope Ark. back when I was a teenager in the 70's. My grandfather took me. He told me he wanted to show me where the best speakers in the world were built. I met Paul. I got a great tour. I was impressed. Later I found out what they cost and was bummed. Crap I could not afford those! But when I heard Klipschorns mated to an all tube McIntosh system, I was stunned. I knew I would own them some day. And I did. I still have 2 pairs of Heresey's. I told everyone about Klipsch. I loved them. Then one day in the 90's I heard a set of new monitors made by some Italian company. Sonus Faber Electa Amators diven by all Mark Levinson gear. I was stunned. I went home and sold all of my Klipsch and started over. I started with a set of the original Concertos. Then I bought Extremas, then Amati's, even a set of the Electa Amators. So I then told everyone about Sonus Faber. I would see Klipsch computer speakers for 150.00 bucks at Best Buy. I would see that Klipsch logo Paul worked so hard to market as the best available. I would just snicker and think what would Paul think of his logo on that cheap plastic crap... But it did not matter I had Sonus Faber now... Wonder how long before I see Sonus Faber computer speakers for 200.00 at Best buy..

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM

---Great storyline Ken.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban
The folks running these companies obviously know what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Trying to keep an open mind while maintaining respect for the folks associated with the company that might or might not necessarily be too happy about this. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for Bill, Sumiko and their staff. Always great experiences with them. As mentioned in a different thread, Bill went out of his way to set-up my Toy Towers. I would love to remain a loyal costumer, but I am not too happy about this move. I am/have been contemplating stepping up to the Cremona M floorstander, but I can't help but think about the repercussions of this, how it will affect resale value, brand perception, etc. All of a sudden, my gorgeous, entry-level but "made in Italy" Toy Towers (sounding PHENOMENAL thanks to Bill's expert set-up) are not looking too bad at all!

There's a reason why there are no entry-level made-in-China Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. I could buy cheaper speakers that will sound almost as good. But they wouldn't have the beauty, the flavor nor the craftsmanship of a Sonus faber. You buy them for the sound, first and foremost, of course, but also for the pride of ownership, the pedigree and their uniqueness.

And I think Ferrari is doing ok.

Last edited by esteban; 07-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=esteban;338021]Quote:
You buy them for the sound, first and foremost, of course, but also for the pride of ownership, the pedigree and their uniqueness.

QUOTE]

And that is the truth. And it is very important when you are trying to sell speakers that cost over 30,000.00 bucks.

In the long run this will hurt Sonus Faber's image in the high end. That is my opinion.

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
---Great storyline Ken.
Thanks! I do enjoy my audio memories...

Ken
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
There's a reason why there are no entry-level made-in-China Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. I could buy cheaper speakers that will sound almost as good. But they wouldn't have the beauty, the flavor nor the craftsmanship of a Sonus faber. You buy them for the sound, first and foremost, of course, but also for the pride of ownership, the pedigree and their uniqueness.

And I think Ferrari is doing ok.
Nicely put