AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Default MB50 Experience

I wanted to share my experience with the MB50 streaming audio player with all who are interested. I'm fairly new to digital audio and am nowhere near an expert. I started about a year ago by adding a Bluesound Node 2 to my basement main system and the convenience of the new format steadily grew on me. I consider the Node 2 to be a fantastic entry level component that helped me get acquainted with digital. A couple of months ago I decided to move the Node 2 to my second system upstairs so my wife could enjoy it. I replaced it in the main system with a Cambridge Audio 851N which is a very flexible and great sounding component. Its dual DACs are very good at taming harsher sounding recordings while still revealing adequate amounts of detail. A very good smooth analog-like sound. When run through its digital outputs to my C47 preamp, I was able to take advantage of the C47's superior DAC. The 851N also sports a nice front panel display for album and track info while playing. It's a great piece for its $1400 asking price. It seemed that the Cambridge was going to stay in my system, but there were a few little things that bothered me about it. First, it just didn't look quite right in my all McIntosh system and second, its made in China. Last week, my wife asked if I'd made up my mind on it and asked who made it and where. When I told her it was a British product made in China, she asked if McIntosh offered anything similar. I said yes, but it would cost more money. She told me to order the McIntosh and try it out, because she's actually more anal about China made products than I am and she commented that it would blend in better with my other components. Well, I didn't want to pass on the opportunity and quickly ordered the MB50 for a 60-day trial from Music Direct. As others have said, it's surprisingly small and light weight for a McIntosh component. I had downloaded the Play-Fi app for Windows the day before receiving it and the unit was very easy to set up. I'm currently using Wi-Fi but plan on hard wiring the MB50 to my network as soon as I get a usb to Ethernet adaptor. I find it strange that an Ethernet port wasn't included on the unit, but I'm sure the designers saw it as redundant and a cost savings. For what it's worth, I haven't had any drop outs or network interruptions over these first few days using the supplied Wi-Fi antennas. As for the sound quality, it is everything a McIntosh product should provide. It's amazing that a box this small can produce such a big and full-bodied sound. Without using the normal audiophile hyperbole and jargon to describe the sound, I'll just say that it sounds fantastic to my ears. I'm not able to hear much difference between using the internal DAC of the MB50 or running it through my C47's DAC. Maybe a tiny bit more resolution when relying on the MB50's DAC and using balanced XLR's to the C47. I'm trying to stay subjective during the next few weeks of use and comparison to the Cambridge unit, but based on the first few days of use, I can definitely advise anyone who's looking for an excellent streamer to slot into their existing McIntosh system, to not hesitate trying the MB50. Sure, its Play-Fi app might not appeal to the hard core digital audiophile, but for my streaming purposes, it seems to work great and sounds fantastic. Don't give into the claims that McIntosh just doesn't do digital well. I'll report back after more use.

Last edited by jayvis; 11-26-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I just bought a new to mew c2300 and mc402 and want a streaming device with a DAC. I have been looking at the Bluesound node 2 which gets great reviews for the price, the Cambridge CXN, Oppo Sonica DAC, and the MB50.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I just bought a new to mew c2300 and mc402 and want a streaming device with a DAC. I have been looking at the Bluesound node 2 which gets great reviews for the price, the Cambridge CXN, Oppo Sonica DAC, and the MB50.
Hope you enjoy your search for a streamer. The Node 2 is a very good entrance into digital streaming and in my opinion, is the best at its price point. I also tried a Cambridge CXN which was a step up from the Node 2. It does everything it's supposed to and its DAC is better than the Node 2's in my opinion. It's display screen and better DAC makes it well worth the extra $300 over the Node 2. The next step up was the Cambridge 851N. I still have it and am evaluating it. It has a better DAC than the CXN which will be important to you. Since you already have excellent McIntosh components, you might run into the same issue I did when trying other makes in my system. That nagging feeling that I just wasn't doing my system justice without a McIntosh streamer. So far, I'm impressed with the MB50 and am happy I paid the extra money to try it. It's DAC is another step up from the 851N and since it's a McIntosh, I think it's the best looking of the lot and it's made in America. I'll be out the return shipping once I decide which item to send back, but it'll be worth it once I finally make up my mind.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 AM

Did you ever run your Cambridge as a pre and bypass your c47 all together and direct connect to the amp? Curious if you hear any difference.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Did you ever run your Cambridge as a pre and bypass your c47 all together and direct connect to the amp? Curious if you hear any difference.
Yes, I gave it a try out of curiosity and it wasn't even close. The 851N has a much better digital preamp stage than the CXN, but it still was no contest when compared to the C47. I think the 851N would double as a decent digital preamp for people on a budget and who don't need analog inputs. Over the next few days, I plan to do a side by side comparison of the 851N with the MB50 as pure audio streamers in my system. I'll run both units native with XLR cables to my C47 and with both via digital coax and toslink cables through the C47's DAC.

Last edited by jayvis; 11-27-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
........but there were a few little things that bothered me about it. First, it just didn't look quite right in my all McIntosh system and second, its made in China. Last week, my wife asked if I'd made up my mind on it and asked who made it and where. When I told her it was a British product made in China, she asked if McIntosh offered anything similar. I said yes, but it would cost more money. She told me to order the McIntosh and try it out, because she's actually more anal about China made products than I am.........
Good for the two of you. Cannot be too anal about this.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Can't but smile every time I open this site. So I take a minute to thank all of you who take the time to write your experiences.

All the reviews are so helpful (I am living in South America) so my decisions on new equipment (except speakers of course) are based on reviews and not really listening or trying out.

I just recently got into the streamers as well. before, My system consisted of an iPhone connected to a MX121 with a MC205 and a set of 805Ds+DB1. It was a HT set up that I also used as a stereo system. Sounded very nice, but felt I was running a Ferrari with fiat tires...

Recently I had bought a couple of 803Ds + MC452 for the second floor as a Stereo system. And just this week I got a D1100 to provide DAC duties. As budget got thin I decided on a blue sound node as the streamer. First impression was very, very nice, especially connected to the D1100, it sounds sooo much better than the MX121. Once I dropped Spotify and subscribed to TIDA HIFI the sound went up another notch. happy as hell now. For a final touch I am waiting on some nice (and freakin expensive XLRs to connect the D1100 with the MC452). Will be my first trial with expensive interconnects.

Still, I feel that with the Node 2, is where my weak link is. I have been debating between the MB100, MB50, or even the DCS Network (which is where my heart is).

My question is, how much improvement did you feel when you left the Node 2 behind. Is it worth the $3K to $4K that a hifi streamer costs?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsystem View Post
Can't but smile every time I open this site. So I take a minute to thank all of you who take the time to write your experiences.

All the reviews are so helpful (I am living in South America) so my decisions on new equipment (except speakers of course) are based on reviews and not really listening or trying out.

I just recently got into the streamers as well. before, My system consisted of an iPhone connected to a MX121 with a MC205 and a set of 805Ds+DB1. It was a HT set up that I also used as a stereo system. Sounded very nice, but felt I was running a Ferrari with fiat tires...

Recently I had bought a couple of 803Ds + MC452 for the second floor as a Stereo system. And just this week I got a D1100 to provide DAC duties. As budget got thin I decided on a blue sound node as the streamer. First impression was very, very nice, especially connected to the D1100, it sounds sooo much better than the MX121. Once I dropped Spotify and subscribed to TIDA HIFI the sound went up another notch. happy as hell now. For a final touch I am waiting on some nice (and freakin expensive XLRs to connect the D1100 with the MC452). Will be my first trial with expensive interconnects.

Still, I feel that with the Node 2, is where my weak link is. I have been debating between the MB100, MB50, or even the DCS Network (which is where my heart is).

My question is, how much improvement did you feel when you left the Node 2 behind. Is it worth the $3K to $4K that a hifi streamer costs?
I've found that there is much more to a streaming audio player than just its internal DAC. I think the streamer's processor is also an important part of the magic and the Node 2's ARM Cortex A9 processors are very formidable. It's fast and maintains a fairly stable Wi-Fi connection. I did experience some network drop outs and hang-ups during its use, but my system is in my basement and a pretty good distance from my router. A wired Ethernet connection pretty much eliminated those issues. I have yet to experience any drop outs or hang-ups with the MB50 since I started using it via Wi-Fi. For peace of mind, I will hook up its USB connection via a new USB to Ethernet adaptor today. Just the fact that I didn't experience any Wi-Fi issues, tells me that the McIntosh does something superior to the Node 2 internally. Although you can depend on your D1100's excellent DAC for playback with any streamer you decide on, I found the MB50's internal DAC to be right on par with my C47's DAC and actually prefer it on most music that I've played. It's nice to have the two excellent DAC's available to choose from for different types of music and different resolution files. The MB50's DAC probably won't outdo your D1100's but it blows the Node 2's right out of the water for sound quality. If you enjoy having a hideaway component like the tiny Node 2, it might suffice using it in your system. But if you're like me and want a robust component that looks right at home with your other great McIntosh components, I don't think you can go wrong with the MB50. Of course, the MB100 would be an even better aesthetic fit because of it's overall width and would add its internal hard drive storage. But in my case and for my intended use, I'd be more content with knowing I saved an additional $4000 with the MB50 over the MB100. Just like with all things audio, it will all depend on how you intend to use your streamer and how much money you're willing to part with.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
I've found that there is much more to a streaming audio player than just its internal DAC. I think the streamer's processor is also an important part of the magic and the Node 2's ARM Cortex A9 processors are very formidable. It's fast and maintains a fairly stable Wi-Fi connection. I did experience some network drop outs and hang-ups during its use, but my system is in my basement and a pretty good distance from my router. A wired Ethernet connection pretty much eliminated those issues. I have yet to experience any drop outs or hang-ups with the MB50 since I started using it via Wi-Fi. For peace of mind, I will hook up its USB connection via a new USB to Ethernet adaptor today. Just the fact that I didn't experience any Wi-Fi issues, tells me that the McIntosh does something superior to the Node 2 internally. Although you can depend on your D1100's excellent DAC for playback with any streamer you decide on, I found the MB50's internal DAC to be right on par with my C47's DAC and actually prefer it on most music that I've played. It's nice to have the two excellent DAC's available to choose from for different types of music and different resolution files. The MB50's DAC probably won't outdo your D1100's but it blows the Node 2's right out of the water for sound quality. If you enjoy having a hideaway component like the tiny Node 2, it might suffice using it in your system. But if you're like me and want a robust component that looks right at home with your other great McIntosh components, I don't think you can go wrong with the MB50. Of course, the MB100 would be an even better aesthetic fit because of it's overall width and would add its internal hard drive storage. But in my case and for my intended use, I'd be more content with knowing I saved an additional $4000 with the MB50 over the MB100. Just like with all things audio, it will all depend on how you intend to use your streamer and how much money you're willing to part with.
Thanks!! Will sure take it into consideration
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Jayvis, does the mb50 go through Play-Fi to get to tidal or does it interface with tidal directly?