AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Congratulations on your new NOS McIntosh MCD500. This is an excellent CD/SACD/DAC that will provide you with countless hours of listening pleasure. I think you made the right choice. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-24-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

. . . And I just received the sales order. Shipping info will follow.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 AM

The MCD500 is a keeper IMO, excellent choice. I don't listen to as many CDs as I used to, but I'm still impressed w/the sound. I found it a pretty nice improvement over the MVP871 I was using prior to that. It along with my C2300 are components that I don't even get the "upgrade" itch for. It sounds great out of the box and if you get the itch, there are always external DAC options.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Semi-audiophile

That's a nice photo of the 500, Dan. And Maks, I think I'll like the 500 also. When I get it, finally.

It's a strange trip so far. I received a UPS e-mail with tracking info last week, saying the expected delivery was Tuesday the 28th. Then I got another saying the scheduled delivery was the 29th. Tracking the package yesterday AM, it was in Hodgkins, Illinois (!) as of 2:37AM, and the expected delivery was now Friday, 12/1. Why the package was in Illinois, having shipped from Vestal, NY is a mystery; it arrived there from East Syracuse, NY. When I got home yesterday and checked tracking, the message read (with no location), "We were unable to dispatch the trailer on time. This may cause a delay. / Delivery will be rescheduled." That info was as of 4AM yesterday. Just now, however, the 500 is in Uniondale, NY; that's Long Island. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I'll believe it when I get it.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Semi-audiophile

I got it. Delivered about 15 minutes ago. Time to unbox and install, will listen tomorrow. Then, disconnect and box the 301 for shipping.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Big congratulations. You will love the MCD500. Great as a DAC for other digital sources, too. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Semi-audiophile

I have yet to spend significant time with the 500 due to work and other things, but what time I have spent suggests that if nothing else, the 500 is somewhat smoother than the 301. Two nights ago I got in a SACD (Yes' Close to the Edge) and there was a point or two where I thought I heard a detail I didn't recall hearing before, but overall there is an ease to the 500's sound that is noticeable, even with the brightly-recorded stuff (so far, at least); the 301 wouldn't do much to smooth these out, whereas I can tell the 500's making an effort. I like that.

The strongest sense of this ease was with the first CD I played: Copland: Appalachian Spring • Rodeo • Fanfare for the Common Man as played by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra with Louis Lane conducting. I was impressed with the ease and smoother sound. Not that the 301 was terrible, but the 500 is a step up in this regard. We shall see if this continues.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Semi-audiophile

My limited time with the MCD500 tells me it's a keeper. Not only is it smoother with a more detailed presentation (depending on the material), but it seems more refined on some recordings than the 301 did. I had been considering the Marantz SA-10, but the price (including the 301 trade-in) made the 500 the way to go. I do wonder if the SA-10 would be better, but not enough to go after one at this point.

I guess it's time to move on to the turntable situation. Or the equipment rack situation, depending upon what happens with the turntable situation. Or the power cords. Or the speakers, even.

I think I'm turning into an audiophile.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I ordered the Gingko this week. Should be here within four weeks. On another thread it's reported that the Gingko did a good job with a VPI Super Scoutmaster. Hope it'll do as well with my HW-19, which is probably heavier.
Which model HW-19 do you have? Unless you've mod'd your HW-19 the Scoutmaster will likely be the heavier, having a double thick solid plinth and thicker piece of steel between the two. While VPI no longer sells the parts (at least they no longer advertise them) there are a number of suspension upgrades available for the HW-19 that would help with the footfall problem. Just have to find them. Analog Restorations in Bordentown, NJ might be a help. If they don't have they may know who sells the the parts these days.

Congrats on your MCD-500. I found the MCD-301 to be a nice step up from a Marantz SA-8004. Now trying to decide if the next step is an MCD-500/550, Accuphase 560/720 or Esoteric K-07/5x. It never ends.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-16-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Which model HW-19 do you have? Unless you've mod'd your HW-19 the Scoutmaster will likely be the heavier, having a double thick solid plinth and thicker piece of steel between the two. While VPI no longer sells the parts (at least they no longer advertise them) there are a number of suspension upgrades available for the HW-19 that would help with the footfall problem. Just have to find them. Analog Restorations in Bordentown, NJ might be a help. If they don't have they may know who sells the the parts these days.

Congrats on your MCD-500. I found the MCD-301 to be a nice step up from a Marantz SA-8004. Now trying to decide if the next step is an MCD-500/550, Accuphase 560/720 or Esoteric K-07/5x. It never ends.
I have a Mk.IV, which weighs around 60 pounds. I didn't know the Scoutmaster was so heavy. And I may well look into Analog Restorations if the Gingko Cloud 11 I'll be testing after vacation doesn't help or solve things.

I really like the MCD500 so far. According to Audio Classics, the disc drive mechanism in the 550 is the same as the 301, whereas the one in the 500 is more robust, if that matters; it's why I opted for the 500 over a used 550. I've had limited experience with Accuphase stuff but found the CD player I heard (don't remember which model) to sound quite good in a system with Soulution electronics at the NY Audio Show.