AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-14-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
My opinion would be for you to use the Hi-Level Neutrik connection at the sub. Here is what you need to know. This is how I connected by REL G1 with my 1.2k's when they were part of my system.

For differential (i.e. fully balanced) amplifiers using one REL, simply use the standard connecting schemewith the exception of connecting the black wire to chassis ground (i.e. a metal bolt or screw, preferably notpainted or anodized, on the chassis of the power amp or receiver), not to a negative speaker terminal, andthen connecting into the HIGH LEVEL INPUT on the REL. Please contact your dealer should there be anyquestions concerning this or any other hookup procedure.

The standard high-level hook up procedure is: attach the red wire to the amplifier's right positive speakeroutput terminal; attach the yellow wire to the amplifier's left positive speaker output terminal; attach theblack wire to whichever of the amplifier's ground output terminals is convenient; plug the Speakon connectorinto the Sub-Bass System's high-level input.• ]
I asked a question on another thread about connecting the REL Strata 3 to the 8 ohm taps of my MC402 vs. the 4 ohm, which is the tap my mains are connected to. Since I was taking that thread "off topic", here I am asking again! (I totally understand, just having a little fun).
I currently have my connection as described in the quote above. I sent an e mail to McIntosh and have been informed that changing the sub from the 4 ohm to to the 8 ohm tap will not change the output of the sub or the load on the amp. So I will leave things as they currently are!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:45 AM

Hey guys

I've got a REL S5 hooked up to the MC452 via speakon. The black ground wire was simply floating in Space and it sounded great!! No hum whatsoever. Meters on the amp were peaking at 450 watts without any hints of stress...

But tonight I decided to connect the black ground wire to the 452's chrome chassis. We shall find out in the day time if any problems arises.

Question: is there a thread on here discussing the REL's set up process, tweaks and tips?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 05:46 AM

p/s: I just got the REL's few days ago, still figuring things out.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:06 PM

I recently bought a McIntosh MC275 and also got a new REL T9i subwoofer. Worked great so I decided to get a 2nd T9i. When I connected the 2nd sub the MC275 Sentry Monitor turned the 2 right channel tubes red and the sound stopped. The right side is the new sub.

I am using the Neutrik connector for both subs. My speakers are 8 ohm. The 275 is in balanced mode with the C2300 preamp. The sub is connected as stated in the REL manual; red and yellow to each channel on that channel's + post. I grounded the black for each channel to a screw under the 275. I am using the 8 ohm post to match the speakers. The book says to let the black float but I have always grounded my REL sub to a screw on my amp as discussed in this thread.
I am leery to go forward without more advice! Should I be hooking up the 2 RELs in some other fashion? Can I damage the 275 trying out different options? Any help would be welcomed!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Scary to me, but I don’t know squat about these things.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Proper way to hook up a REL Sub

Why not use one of the 2 additional outputs on the C2300 to feed the sub’s Low Level RCA?

IMG_8086.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

From REL website;

Low Level Input:

The Low level input is rarely recommended over the High Level input, however this connection method still produces amazing low end and seamless integration. Occasionally, some systems are not compatible with the High Level input or speaker outputs are unavailable. There are really only two scenarios when we recommend using the Low Level input rather than the High Level input.

1. The Low Level input is recommended when users do not have access to speaker outputs such as connecting directly to TV or computer.

2. The Low Level input is recommended when using a single REL with Monoblock Amplifiers. When integrating a REL Sub-Bass system with Monoblock amplifiers REL recommends using a stereo pair of RELs as left and right subwoofers.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 12-09-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor View Post
Hey guys

I've got a REL S5 hooked up to the MC452 via speakon. The black ground wire was simply floating in Space and it sounded great!! No hum whatsoever. Meters on the amp were peaking at 450 watts without any hints of stress...

But tonight I decided to connect the black ground wire to the 452's chrome chassis. We shall find out in the day time if any problems arises.

Question: is there a thread on here discussing the REL's set up process, tweaks and tips?

Thanks
I have my two RELs hooked up like that with the ground attached to the chrome chassis of my MC 402. Never had any hum or noise problems at all.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM

For Class A, B or A/B amps, non-differential output amps, hook them up like this per the REL website;

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...-A-B-A-B-amps-

For a differential, fully-balanced amp design, use this when connected to a single REL;

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...nection-Method

For Class D amp, float the ground per the REL manual;

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...ection-Methods

For Stereo Subs begin here but pay attention to what kind of amps you have;

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...nection-Method

in the past I had first 1 and then 2 (when bi-amping) Class A/B amps (Edge NL12.1) and at first a single REL B1 Britannia with both configs, then stereo B1s. I never floated the ground-wire as they were Class A/B and non-differential output amps.

Best course of action is "RTM" on the REL website and also confirm your choices with REL technical support if there is any doubt.

FWIW
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Why not use one of the 2 additional outputs on the C2300 to feed the sub’s Low Level RCA?

Attachment 52986

Attachment 52987

From REL website;

Low Level Input:

The Low level input is rarely recommended over the High Level input, however this connection method still produces amazing low end and seamless integration. Occasionally, some systems are not compatible with the High Level input or speaker outputs are unavailable. There are really only two scenarios when we recommend using the Low Level input rather than the High Level input.

1. The Low Level input is recommended when users do not have access to speaker outputs such as connecting directly to TV or computer.

2. The Low Level input is recommended when using a single REL with Monoblock Amplifiers. When integrating a REL Sub-Bass system with Monoblock amplifiers REL recommends using a stereo pair of RELs as left and right subwoofers.
Thanks to all for the advice. I undid the 2nd sub connections and connected them again the same way- so far working great. Not sure what happened the first time - it was connected the same way! My fingers are crossed - I will be testing it loud tonight. Again, here is how I have the 2 subs connected:

I am using the Neutrik connector for both subs. My speakers are 8 ohm. The McIntosh MC275 is in balanced mode with the C2300 preamp. The sub is connected as stated in the REL manual; red and yellow to each channel on that channel's + post. I grounded the black for each channel to a screw under the 275. I am using the 8 ohm post to match the speakers. The book says to let the black float but I have always grounded my REL sub to a screw on my amp as discussed in this thread.

I was wondering if the subs should be in the 16 ohm taps to get 8 ohms, similar to what is done for mono amps where you go higher to get lower on the McIntosh MC275 amp which is what I am using??
Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac6 View Post
Thanks to all for the advice. I undid the 2nd sub connections and connected them again the same way- so far working great. Not sure what happened the first time - it was connected the same way! My fingers are crossed - I will be testing it loud tonight. Again, here is how I have the 2 subs connected:

I am using the Neutrik connector for both subs. My speakers are 8 ohm. The McIntosh MC275 is in balanced mode with the C2300 preamp. The sub is connected as stated in the REL manual; red and yellow to each channel on that channel's + post. I grounded the black for each channel to a screw under the 275. I am using the 8 ohm post to match the speakers. The book says to let the black float but I have always grounded my REL sub to a screw on my amp as discussed in this thread.

I was wondering if the subs should be in the 16 ohm taps to get 8 ohms, similar to what is done for mono amps where you go higher to get lower on the McIntosh MC275 amp which is what I am using??
Not sure on a multi-tap amp; I would take the 'keep it simple' approach that the RELs should be connected on the exact same taps as your speakers are which in this case looks to be the 8-ohm tap(s), correct?

***Since hooking up the 2nd sub tripped the Sentry Monitor on your amp, I'd definitely call or write to REL and see if they've seen this config with your amp before and have a specific recommendation first.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 12-10-2017 at 07:03 AM.