AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
You can still use the processor loop on your C2300 preamplifier as long as the MEN220 is installed between the preamplifier outputs and the amplifier inputs. Anything used in the processor loop will still be influenced by the Room Perfect equalizer settings.
Alright, my first post, so now I can officially get my feet wet with a stupid question.

Okay, my pre-amp has only left and right outputs, but I love my pre-amp (which is really a part of my DAC), but I would also like to use this room correction. I guess I can't do it, huh? Well, let me also say that my pre-amp has XLR outputs, too. Still, I guess the only way to use a processor loop would be some sort of switch-box, but those typically add a good amount of distortion, though I wonder if distortion would matter since your only using a loop for the room correction, which should be a pretty passive signal. Or, am I looking at this upside down and sideways?

I'm probably way out of my league here. I'm simply trying to figure out how to use this tech in the best way, since I really need room correction, my current pre-amp is so pure (Chord DAVE), the Lyngdorf stuff, by itself, is Class D, and I would rather not use standalone software for room correction. Uggh...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:47 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

EVOLVIST... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

EVOLVIST.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

You can install the MEN220 between your analog output of the Chord Dave and your amplifier inputs. The McIntosh MEN220 can work in a processor loop or in the preamp output to your amps. In the Setup Menu of the MEN220 you select how it is installed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Alright, my first post, so now I can officially get my feet wet with a stupid question.

Okay, my pre-amp has only left and right outputs, but I love my pre-amp (which is really a part of my DAC), but I would also like to use this room correction. I guess I can't do it, huh? Well, let me also say that my pre-amp has XLR outputs, too. Still, I guess the only way to use a processor loop would be some sort of switch-box, but those typically add a good amount of distortion, though I wonder if distortion would matter since your only using a loop for the room correction, which should be a pretty passive signal. Or, am I looking at this upside down and sideways?

I'm probably way out of my league here. I'm simply trying to figure out how to use this tech in the best way, since I really need room correction, my current pre-amp is so pure (Chord DAVE), the Lyngdorf stuff, by itself, is Class D, and I would rather not use standalone software for room correction. Uggh...
From your post, I understand you want to take advantage of the dacs in your pre-amp. Since men220 re-digitizes the signal for processing, it renders any prior dac in the loop less effective.

Men220 appears to be a near clone of an earlier accuphase product. What differs them that is the accuphase version has a digital in/out loop connections which keeps the signal in the digital domain before your good dac at the end. Its a shame mcintosh didn't implement this beautiful feature.

Now your options that make most sense are:

Forget room correction on the upper octaves and focus on only the bass. Get a pair of subwoofers(one for each main) that has built in room correction. Such as Martin logan bf210 and jl audio version 2. These also digitize the signal however only in the very low octave where accuracy over fidelity matters more. Since these are fully automated in calibration, the lowest octave will be perfectly normalized. The trick will be mating the upper octaves from your mains to the these sub. But this is the fun part. Get a desibelmeter and rew on your computer. Once you seemlessly integrate them, they should play like one large pair speakers. If you have major issues on the upper octaves, this is easier to address with room treatment. Higher frequencies have much less significant energy comparing to single digit hertz. It is much easier to tame them with accustic dampening materials. Most case you only need to cover the first reflection points. This way you are altering very little of the analog nature of your setup and avoiding multiple conversions which each will effect the soul of the sound.

Another option may sound unorthodox to many but use an mx150/151 as your pre amp. This unit shares the same guts with men220 but it is 8ch. It actually has better dac chips used than men220. The benefit of this unit is that it has digital inputs. You can feed your digital sources and it will process room correct in the digital domain only to be converted back to analog at the end.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
EVOLVIST.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

You can install the MEN220 between your analog output of the Chord Dave and your amplifier inputs. The McIntosh MEN220 can work in a processor loop or in the preamp output to your amps. In the Setup Menu of the MEN220 you select how it is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
From your post, I understand you want to take advantage of the dacs in your pre-amp. Since men220 re-digitizes the signal for processing, it renders any prior dac in the loop less effective.

Men220 appears to be a near clone of an earlier accuphase product. What differs them that is the accuphase version has a digital in/out loop connections which keeps the signal in the digital domain before your good dac at the end. Its a shame mcintosh didn't implement this beautiful feature.

Now your options that make most sense are:

Forget room correction on the upper octaves and focus on only the bass. Get a pair of subwoofers(one for each main) that has built in room correction. Such as Martin logan bf210 and jl audio version 2. These also digitize the signal however only in the very low octave where accuracy over fidelity matters more. Since these are fully automated in calibration, the lowest octave will be perfectly normalized. The trick will be mating the upper octaves from your mains to the these sub. But this is the fun part. Get a desibelmeter and rew on your computer. Once you seemlessly integrate them, they should play like one large pair speakers. If you have major issues on the upper octaves, this is easier to address with room treatment. Higher frequencies have much less significant energy comparing to single digit hertz. It is much easier to tame them with accustic dampening materials. Most case you only need to cover the first reflection points. This way you are altering very little of the analog nature of your setup and avoiding multiple conversions which each will effect the soul of the sound.

Another option may sound unorthodox to many but use an mx150/151 as your pre amp. This unit shares the same guts with men220 but it is 8ch. It actually has better dac chips used than men220. The benefit of this unit is that it has digital inputs. You can feed your digital sources and it will process room correct in the digital domain only to be converted back to analog at the end.
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Jdandy - I don't quite understand. Are you saying that I could use the MEN220 with my DAVE's unmodified signal just by going out of the DAVE's RCAs into some sort of pass-through in the MEN220?

Substance...Yeah, I really don't want to use software. I don't know. I suppose that would be a last option.

Now, you mention Accuphase, but yesterday I purchased a Lyngdorf RP-1 for pretty cheap. Now, I'm gathering from what you're saying is that it's really going to mess up my DAVE's signature by re-digitizing the sound? Yikes! I mean, I know it's digital processor, but the specs made it sound like it was/in nearly a pass-through scenario...or maybe I totally misread it.

I hope I didn't just buy a paperweight. Hahaha!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Well, this unit is curious - and please forgive my almost total ignorance here, because again, I'm reading, but I'm in uncharted waters, as a complete non-techy (I'm a writer by trade). I hope this isn't too much OT, but maybe not since this A/V control center shares similarities with the men220.

So, with all of these I/Os, could this be run before my DAC, using room correction and such? In other words: Streaming Source with music - > MX151 -> Chord DAVE - > amp - > Speakers.

This way, if the sound coming out of the MX-151 is agreeable to me, it doesn't matter to me what sort of processing/conversion happens before my DAC, as long as I can get the purest signal I can from my DAC/Pre-amp.

Does this make sense? (Or maybe the non-response to my last post is an indication of no-time-for-dummys. Haha! )
Old 04-14-2017, 11:54 PM

Accuphase unit works only with matching accuphase pre amp and dac. Digital input output loop uses proprietary connectors. They are also out of production by few years. You would have to seek in the second hand market. They are vastly superior to mcintosh in both room perfect and dac implementation.

If you go with the 151 route, it would take over your men220, pre amp and dac. There would be no room for Dave. You would feed all your digital sources into mx151 via digital coax, optical or xlr aes digital. Mx151 would internally apply room correction. Then it would convert back to analog with its 24/192khz dacs and apply volume control in analog domain(which is good). If you use it in stereo mode, it won't do any other processing. Mx151 in stereo mode vs men220 should be identical except that mx151 keeps the signal in digital domain and uses better dacs at the end(this means it's actually better than men220)

Mx150/151 in the second hand market are dirt cheap. The cost should be the same as a brand new men220 or less. As a bonus you get a second zone and hdmi inputs. You can feed an sacd player with an hdmi output (such as mvp881,891,901 or an oppo) and have it feed pure digital signal into mx151.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't mind answering them to my best knowledge. I have a degree in ece and 20 year experience in home audio.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Jdandy - I don't quite understand. Are you saying that I could use the MEN220 with my DAVE's unmodified signal just by going out of the DAVE's RCAs into some sort of pass-through in the MEN220?
EVOLVIST.......I am making the assumption you are driving your power amplifier directly from either the balanced or RCA analog outputs. If that is the case, reroute the left and right balanced or RCA outputs from the Chord DAVE that go to your power amp, plug them into the MEN220, then add another pair of balanced or RCA interconnects from the MEN220 analog left and right outputs and plug them into your power amp. In this manner the MEN220 will be in the signal path between your Chord DAVE preamp outputs and the amplifier inputs. That is the typical way the MEN220 is installed in a system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-15-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
EVOLVIST.......I am making the assumption you are driving your power amplifier directly from either the balanced or RCA analog outputs. If that is the case, reroute the left and right balanced or RCA outputs from the Chord DAVE that go to your power amp, plug them into the MEN220, then add another pair of balanced or RCA interconnects from the MEN220 analog left and right outputs and plug them into your power amp. In this manner the MEN220 will be in the signal path between your Chord DAVE preamp outputs and the amplifier inputs. That is the typical way the MEN220 is installed in a system.
Right. I get that part. I just am unsure of where the process loop part came in. So, basically, in your scenario, I would be using the MEN220 as a pre-amp, leaving my DAVE with a fixed signal, in DAC mode only. Yet, essentially, the MEN220 does an additional ADC to analog conversion after the DAVE, which wouldn't seem optimal. This makes me think that yeah, I'm barking up the wrong tree. Shuck. I thought I might be on to something.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:

If you go with the 151 route, it would take over your men220, pre amp and dac. There would be no room for Dave.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't mind answering them to my best knowledge. I have a degree in ece and 20 year experience in home audio.
This is a super good post and very thoughtful. I'm just not sure I'm ready to part from the DAVE as my DAC.

McIntosh is a mixed bag for me. I've heard really great units, and not so great units, depending on what they are. I mostly like the McIntosh amps (except for the headphone amp of theirs).