AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 03-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

The Gold Lions have 13:37 on them, and the last session (Wednesday) showed they're not kind to older material at this point. Most of my CDs aren't audiophile-approved, and with the 60's material I played last time, the sound was brighter than I'd like. I actually had to turn down the volume, the Chicago Transit Authority CD especially so; I never had to do that with the JJs. Perhaps I got used to the JJ tubes' warm character, and this GL thing is still new. They don't have enough hours on them yet, in addition. I know they need at least 30 hours on them before I can assess seriously, and I'm planning to give them at least that.

Many here have GLs. How has your experience with them been, start to current?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 03-19-2016, 04:36 PM

Wait until they reach 100 hrs to get better, at 200 hrs will be fully settled.

I remember in the beginning, It lacked all bass and they sounded very bright too.

If by 200 hrs, you don't like them, go back to JJs.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Semi-audiophile

Well, no hours on the GLs tonight. The 2300 quit on me about ten minutes ago. I have an e-mail in to Mcintosh.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

I got the 2300 back on April 5. The microprocessor board was shot, the result of too many static charges, probably. So the preamp now has a new "brain."

Since its return, I'm up to 20:24 on the GLs, plus whatever time was burned on them during the repairs and testing. I'm thinking to replace the stock tubes in the phono section, since they're much older than the GLs. I don't play records much these days and I use the preamp as a line stage anyway, so I'm not that willing to put my "good" tubes in there. I'd consider buying some inexpensive placeholders (there are $10 JJs available, as well as $9 Sinos; I'm not familiar with the Sinos).

Next session I should pull out a CD or two that was bright-sounding before, such as Chicago Transit Authority, and see if things have mellowed any.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Glad the new microprocessor got your C2300 up and running again. That's the first microprocessor failure I have heard about in a C2300. Might be time to consider installing a high grade whole home surge suppressor on your electrical service panel. It's a small price to pay for the protection it affords your audio components, as well as every other electronic and electrical appliance in your house.

At barely 20+ hours on your Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes I think you are being a bit over zealous thinking that they are anywhere near broken in and that somehow their sonic signature has permanently settled to a place where you can make a critical decision on their sound. Somewhere between 75 and 100 hours is more like it, and as Jerome suggested, 200 hours is a certainty that you are getting the best the Gold Lions have to offer. Hoping that an additional 7 hours on the tubes from your last report of being unenthused will somehow magically make everything better is premature at best. Play the C2300 as much as possible, log the hours necessary, then make your decision about the Gold Lion tube's performance. The C2300 has treble and bass controls that you can adjust during the break-in process to ease what ails your ears. Take advantage of them.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-14-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Glad the new microprocessor got your C2300 up and running again. That's the first microprocessor failure I have heard about in a C2300. Might be time to consider installing a high grade whole home surge suppressor on your electrical service panel. It's a small price to pay for the protection it affords your audio components, as well as every other electronic and electrical appliance in your house.

At barely 20+ hours on your Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes I think you are being a bit over zealous thinking that they are anywhere near broken in and that somehow their sonic signature has permanently settled to a place where you can make a critical decision on their sound. Somewhere between 75 and 100 hours is more like it, and as Jerome suggested, 200 hours is a certainty that you are getting the best the Gold Lions have to offer. Hoping that an additional 7 hours on the tubes from your last report of being unenthused will somehow magically make everything better is premature at best. Play the C2300 as much as possible, log the hours necessary, then make your decision about the Gold Lion tube's performance. The C2300 has treble and bass controls that you can adjust during the break-in process to ease what ails your ears. Take advantage of them.
I wouldn't expect them to be broken in completely yet, but would be curious if there was a difference in the sound based upon having played some other stuff a couple days ago that didn't sound bright. The CTA CD is somewhat bright anyway, which I never noticed with the warmer JJs. If I put CTA on again anytime soon and it sounds better, that means things are headed in the right direction and I have more to look forward to. Some of the time logged since the 2300's return was with blu-rays/DVDs, using some of my usual references. I didn't notice any brightness there. Alan White's cymbals on Yes: Live at Montreaux had a nice crispness to them. I agree there's a ways to go, however.

This raises another question. Technetronics kept the unit an extra week to run more tests. That means the unit was on for an unknown amount of time. I don't know what those tests were, but would those hours count toward break-in, or is break-in specific to musical signals only? My total is for only the time I log on the GLs in my setup.

Last edited by prepress; 04-15-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I played that Heart CD again, and "Magic Man" didn't sound as bright this time. That may be due to the new power cord on the 2300, a WW Electra. In limited use with the new cord, it looks as if I may have found my setup's sweet spot. Perhaps I'll want to avoid silver in my setup, at least on components.
Have "Heart" on both CD & vinyl and the CD is bright by comparison. Rolling tubes to tame a "hot" CD could be an expensive and time consuming pursuit.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
This raises another question. Technetronics kept the unit an extra week to run more tests. That means the unit was on for an unknown amount of time. I don't know what those tests were, but would those hours count toward break-in, or is break-in specific to musical signals only? My total is for only the time I log on the GLs in my setup.
Charles.......I would consider any time the C2300 was on during testing as break-in time. There's only one way to break-in tubes and gear.......play it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......I would consider any time the C2300 was on during testing as break-in time. There's only one way to break-in tubes and gear.......play it.
You mean you wouldn't consider it so, correct? And I agree, unless they were playing music (which I don't know). Or did I misunderstand you completely?

I think breaking in a tube isn't the same as life/hours on the tube. Another 1:41 was put on them last night, watching more DVD/BD clips (21:54 total now). And unlike previously, when I stopped counting after 25 hours, I think I'll keep track of the hours on the GLs for longer. The general character of a tube is pretty much evident after 25 to 30 hours, but the tube's sound takes longer to develop; that's my takeaway from comments here and elsewhere on the forum.

Last edited by prepress; 04-16-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Why don't you just leave it running with the amplifiers turned off?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado