AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh View Post
Oh... I had a PPP before.... the improvements are not subtle. ( do not believe on specs - hear the difference. The specs is just specs )
Hi Paul, would you care to elaborate a little what were those 'not subtle' improvements that were immediately discernible by upping your previous PPP to P10?
It would be useful for those here on the fence contemplating a similar upgrade path.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
I got a warm fuzzy when I read that...
Hah! Thanks redm and Masterlu. Funny I felt same typing them.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Ok, so got the P10 delivered and installed few hours ago..

It replaced a PPP powering my preamp, dac and transport.
PPP currently moved to power a bedroom tv + cable channel decoder, coupled with few old NBS Signature PCs doing their duties superbly there! Picture quality improves tremendously - more 3D, more intense color/dynamic contrast yet easier on the eyes.. Sound too, out of its measly built-in speakers improved. Even my wife who usually couldn't care less about these stuffs commented positively!

Now, as for sound of P10, too early for any detailed/meaningful comments..
But after few hours of music, most obvious and immediate improvements over PPP are :
- Soundstage opens up (all directions), plus a significantly darker/quieter background.
- Presentations became more relax/lush yet authoritative/dynamic at the same time. Makes you just want to turn up that volume and jam!

Will let them cook for a week or so, then try plugging mono amps into it as well. Although currently display on P10 showing consumption is only around 45 watts or 3% of capacity, I'm led to believe that still best to separate power demanding amps from front-end components in any case. So probably next experiment for me will be to try out another dedicated P10 on the other separate dedicated outlet powering just the amps replacing P1200. It will be late next month before my local dealer receives his next shipment.

IMG_20140319_214841.jpg IMG_20140319_214558.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 03-19-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Enlarge photos.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM

Looking good. I bet you will love the P10... Keep us posted.
Melco N1ZH60/2 ---> EtherRegen ---> Bricasti M1 SE DAC ---> ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue w/Battery PSU ---> Eggleston Andra III speakers rolling on Stillpoints Ultra 5's ----> Dual Rythmik E15 Subs ---> all tied together Via MIT MA-X RCA IC and MIT Matrix SHD120 Rev.2 Bi-Wire speaker cables.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Ok, so got the P10 delivered and installed few hours ago..

It replaced a PPP powering my preamp, dac and transport.
PPP currently moved to power a bedroom tv + cable channel decoder, coupled with few old NBS Signature PCs doing their duties superbly there! Picture quality improves tremendously - more 3D, more intense color/dynamic contrast yet easier on the eyes.. Sound too, out of its measly built-in speakers improved. Even my wife who usually couldn't care less about these stuffs commented positively!

Now, as for sound of P10, too early for any detailed/meaningful comments..
But after few hours of music, most obvious and immediate improvements over PPP are :
- Soundstage opens up (all directions), plus a significantly darker/quieter background.
- Presentations became more relax/lush yet authoritative/dynamic at the same time. Makes you just want to turn up that volume and jam!

Will let them cook for a week or so, then try plugging mono amps into it as well. Although currently display on P10 showing consumption is only around 45 watts or 3% of capacity, I'm led to believe that still best to separate power demanding amps from front-end components in any case. So probably next experiment for me will be to try out another dedicated P10 on the other separate dedicated outlet powering just the amps replacing P1200. It will be late next month before my local dealer receives his next shipment.

Attachment 32967 Attachment 32968
Cool~(so many Siltech Cables)
For more improvement, you could also upgrade the fuse behind the machine. Furutech, Hi-fi tuning, Synergistic, etc have those hifi quality one.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchc View Post
Cool~(so many Siltech Cables)
For more improvement, you could also upgrade the fuse behind the machine. Furutech, Hi-fi tuning, Synergistic, etc have those hifi quality one.
Looking into it actually..
Was told with Furutech you get more resolution, open top, but could get a bit too much in some systems.
Hi-fi tuning ones read many positive notes of it on net but unavailable here locally.
My PS dealer who is also a Synergistic importer will be giving me some to try with next shipment of P10s.

*Have you any experience on this ~ which to get/where to order from? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Looking into it actually..
Was told with Furutech you get more resolution, open top, but could get a bit too much in some systems.
Hi-fi tuning ones read many positive notes of it on net but unavailable here locally.
My PS dealer who is also a Synergistic importer will be giving me some to try with next shipment of P10s.

*Have you any experience on this ~ which to get/where to order from? Thanks!
I have tried all of them, since their tonal are quite different, you have better test them on your equipment and listen if they match or not. But in terms of hifi quality, most of them, if not all, have large improvement compare with the stock one.

My listening impression for your reference:
For Furutech Rhodium (Blue one), emphasis on mid-low, large sound stage, steady and comfortable, more energy, but a bit lack in treble, so-so density.
For Furutech Silver (Green one with silver color cap), emphasis on treble, normal sound stage, attractive female vocal, fast speed, but a bit lack in bass, sound stage not deep enough.
For Synergistic one, emphasis on mid-low, strong bass, punchy, large sound stage, but poor ambience, treble roll-off, coarse.
For hifi-tuning supreme, balanced, quite natural, a bit emphasis on high frequency, but so-so density(better than Furutech Rhodium), a bit poor in dynamics and controls.

I used Power House Infinity Power 2 platinum fuses for a long while, but it is only available in Hong Kong /Asia. I don't think it is easy to buy in US. This one emphasis on mid to high, sweet sound, beautiful treble, a bit forward in vocal, good extension, nice controls, high density, but quite costly, so-so dynamics, sound stage normal but not large.
Now I use some build to order fuses which outperform the fuses in the market I've heard.

All of them are purchased/borrow from local dealer/reseller in Hong Kong, you may ask others in US for purchase info.

Last edited by williamchc; 03-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM

William, appreciate your sharing of experience there!
Been reading up that Synergistic's SR20 fuse needs to be installed/inserted backward (spelling wise) and at least given a week for them to properly shine? Further improvement also to be gained by sticking some Quantum stuff on them?
Anyway I'll give them a go as it's a free compliment from my Dealer. Would also love to get the few that you mentioned and recommend which work best with your P5. Shipping should be lite 'n easy (UPS?), and any method of payment is fine by me - if you could help. Join and be a subscriber here so that we can PM!

And another thing which perhaps you or other P5/P10 users could help..
My P10 has got the older single Multiwave/Sine setting only. Just checked FirmWare is currently 34 (whereas most latest version is 38 I believe). Dealer told me unit I had was shipped from factory only last December ('13). hmm..
Anyway, tried to update to the new VariableMultiWave through link I found in PS Audio Forum : MultiWave Firmware Update | PS Audio
Been following the instructions very carefully - downloaded the 'Update' to my MacBookPro, transferred them to new SD card supplied with the unit, switched off my P10, inserted the SD to unit and turn it back on, nothing happen, no blinking nothing, just the usual start up message stating ~ "Regenerator Operational'. Damn..
Even repeated the above process a couple of times, meaning emptying the content in SD card and again re-installing them, still no luck. Wondering now, what could have caused this glitch. Any other PSA users here facing similar issue/unsuccessful whilst trying to update to new/latest FirmWare? Thanks for any advise given!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 AM

New FirmWare update done.
Glitch was - I dragged/copied whole of folder direct to SD card where it should have been its content (8 sub-folders) copied one-by-one individually into card.
For now (immediately after installation/reboot), still prefer the original multiwave setting i.e.4 instead of the more popular 6 - which seems to exert a little too much control, slightly robbing music of its essence (delicacy/immediacy/air) in my system. Will see how it goes, not sure if these new settings need to see some hours on it as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:23 AM

*On the more positive note of MW setting 6 - images are more stable, bass more controlled, and overall a tad bit sweeter sounding.
It is brilliant that PS Audio let users fine-tune their system this way, by controlling incoming AC through just few presses of buttons!

Last edited by bvdiman; 03-22-2014 at 04:33 AM.