AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

A new Japanese SHM SACD release for our digital friends.

Mahler's 5th from Claudio Abbado and the Chicago Symphony

Old 01-08-2018, 02:08 AM

Thanks for pointing these out Tim. I checked and the Mehta 5th is available from Acoustic Sounds. The Abbado Digital is also available as a 24/192 download from Qobuz, Hdtracks, and Acoustic Sounds. Our cups overfloweth.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Here is an absolutely beautiful Resurrection Symphony. I've never been a huge fan of Haitink, but oh my oh my he gets my vote here. As an evocative performance and truly natural sounding recording as I've heard from a Mahler 2 - it makes some of the modern performances sound antiseptic. Released in 1969, Concertgebouw Orchestra and Netherlands Rundfunkchoir.

Wonderfully natural integration of the choristers and soloists with the orchestra -they have their parts but are not spotlit and truly blend well. Elly Ameling gives a heartfelt rendition. The performance is measured almost stately which at first seemed stilted but eventually I caught on to Haitink's plan. I found the final movement quite emotional and natural. Highly recommended.

Philips 802 884/85 LY - 2 LP
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Here's a link to a "A synoptic survey by the late Tony Duggan" of The Mahler Symphonies with recording recommendations along with knowledgeable exegesis for each. Definitely worth a look if you're into Mahler. Current to 2006.

"It was always intended to be a personal selection of Mahler recordings that I considered to be the crème de la crème. " - Tony Duggan
Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Here's a link to a "A synoptic survey by the late Tony Duggan" of The Mahler Symphonies with recording recommendations along with knowledgeable exegesis for each. Definitely worth a look if you're into Mahler. Current to 2006.

"It was always intended to be a personal selection of Mahler recordings that I considered to be the crème de la crème. " - Tony Duggan
Excellent..thanks!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Updated opening post

Ardent suggestions for a 1st? Perhaps one of these? Perhaps another?

Levine, Chailly, Solti, Zander, Zinman, Haitink ???
After some listening time ... and, for now ... it's this one:

Audite ‎– 80.467 2LPs

Live recording 11-2-1979: Herkules-Saal, Residenz München. It's wonderful.

Surprisingly, as this post's date, elusivedisc still has copies available.
Also CD version available.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:37 AM

Symphony #1. There is a Decca LP of Solti/London Symphony (SXL 6113 re-issue) that I think is outstanding.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRS View Post
Symphony #1. There is a Decca LP of Solti/London Symphony (SXL 6113 re-issue) that I think is outstanding.

Good choice Paul

This early Decca re-issue from Speakers Corner is still available.

Everyone - what is your favorite Titan?
Old 12-27-2018, 06:07 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
After some listening time ... and, for now ... it's this one:

Audite ‎– 80.467 2LPs

Live recording 11-2-1979: Herkules-Saal, Residenz München. It's wonderful.

Surprisingly, as this post's date, elusivedisc still has copies available.
Also CD version available.
I listened to this record again last night. Kubelik's fluid phrasing and the way he transitions between themes is exactly right - he makes the work whole and balanced Sadly I came see several other interpretations (some popular here some with fine sonics) as mechanical, choppy, or to be kind, less thoughtful, less knowing. I dare presume this must be what Mahler had in mind.

And finally it became clear what M meant in his famous quote: "A symphony must be like the world. It must contain everything." Titan seems to go everywhere. The opening A, to draw from another critic, seems to come from the dawn of civilization. Kubelik takes it up and the ride is on, a smooth flowing journey with a panoramic view, everywhere you look and hear seems exactly right for where you are, yet surprise and delight keep coming fresh around the corner. The BRSO feels like it is enchanted with Kubelik's baton, belying the supreme control he holds them to. His dynamic and timing are masterful yet so subtle, so obviously natural that there is no other way for this symphony to be performed. Give it two listens, you'll understand on the rebound.

Perhaps I'm such a prol for not hearing the "utter despair" in this music which purportedly alternates with M's "naive Romanticism". Kubelik's 3rd movement certainly sounds divine. The opening of the 4th (Sturmisch) is titanic indeed and here you'll learn if your system is up to big orchestral. His pacing seems perfect throughout - the word I kept coming back to was 'lyrical', nicht zu schnell compared to some others.

Truth be told, I have not heard Kubelik's first Titan recording with Deutsche Grammophon (139 331) made in the 1968 with the same orchestra. When that happens, I'll follow-up.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Life is beautiful

Wonderful description Tim.
Thank you for that.
I'll surely give it a second listen soon.

I found 2 other Mahler 1's conducted by Kubelik, have you heard them?

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables