AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Linn LP-12/ EKOS tonearm synergy with EMT

I'm considering an LP-12 with an EKOS 2. I know Vinyl Engine has a way to calculate Cart compliance with Mass of tonearm.... I've yet to use the AE site, nor am I a technical person. I'm simply trying to find a sanely priced TT to pair with my Shindo setup that will give my WT GTA table a run for it's money. It seems like many LINN-ies are using Linn carts, which I'm sure are wonderful. But, I want to stick with EMT as my main cartridge, and not try an re-invent the wheel. Plus, I have a T2 here. (-: System is GTA/Tsd-15, T2 SUT, V/R, DyQuem's, Altec Valencia 846A, Werner XO, and LIGNOLAB Suspended Rack.... Cheers -Don
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Perish the thought that you would ever visit another forum, but you might consider posting this question on the Linn forum. You'll probably get a quicker response, there aren't many Linnies here.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Thanks Tony.... Makes sense.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 AM

Default Linn LP-12/ EKOS tonearm synergy with EMT

Hello Don,
I think that the Ekos 2 will be compatible with many carts but yes, you have to check to be sure.
My question though : what is wrong with your WT to give you the desire to change ?
Looking at your system, I would be more tempted to move to a restored vintage tt like the Garrard 301 / 401, or a Thorens td124 than a lp12.
Or a very clean and neutral sounding TT like the Verdier or a Kuzma.
Although I agree that the LP12 is a great tt. It may be a bit too "colored" to use with a Shindo set up.
The LP12 is a great choice to use with a SS based system. Because it will add bloom and some euphony.
But with a Shindo based system, I am not sure of the synergy. You may just get too much richness and the sound could appear fatty in some ways.
The only LP12 which sounds very clean and neutral is the SE fully loaded with the KEEL and so on but the price tag is huge.

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-14-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM

Hi Jerome- No doubt a restored Garrard would seem to be a great fit, and of course, many in the Shindo circle have taken that path. With regard to the GTA, it is a very good table. It has a lively, engaging sound, and that chameleon like quality which gets out of the way of the music. At it's 4K (US) price point, it does a hell of a lot right. In fact, I'm not of the mindset that I want to replace it with another table. My intention is to have a 2nd full turntable setup. I want to have that so called OTHER flavor, to enjoy
along with the GTA. Not only that, I have a Croft/Harbeth P3 setup that isn't getting much action, due to the fact that I'm running only digital through it. You may very well have a point with the Linn LP-12.... I do want to make this purchase with the Shindo setup 1st in mind. I was looking at used LP-12, Ekos 2 for under 4K. I would love to keep this purchase in that price range, and leave an extra 1.5K for a nice cartridge. Not only do I not want to spend big money at the moment, but let's face it, the more you spend on a piece of audio gear, the more you tend to lose if/when selling.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Hi Jerome- No doubt a restored Garrard would seem to be a great fit, and of course, many in the Shindo circle have taken that path. With regard to the GTA, it is a very good table. It has a lively, engaging sound, and that chameleon like quality which gets out of the way of the music. At it's 4K (US) price point, it does a hell of a lot right. In fact, I'm not of the mindset that I want to replace it with another table. My intention is to have a 2nd full turntable setup. I want to have that so called OTHER flavor, to enjoy

along with the GTA. Not only that, I have a Croft/Harbeth P3 setup that isn't getting much action, due to the fact that I'm running only digital through it. You may very well have a point with the Linn LP-12.... I do want to make this purchase with the Shindo setup 1st in mind. I was looking at used LP-12, Ekos 2 for under 4K. I would love to keep this purchase in that price range, and leave an extra 1.5K for a nice cartridge. Not only do I not want to spend big money at the moment, but let's face it, the more you spend on a piece of audio gear, the more you tend to lose if/when selling.

I understand your point perfectly.
A used LP12 with an EKOS 2 and a Lingo for under 4k would be a great value.
Better value but pretty rare to find : a nice TD124 restored and in a good plinth. Funny you talk about your P3 digital only set up. I was in the same position 6 months ago with my P3 ( I actually use either P3 or Falcons 3/5 )system in my bedroom. I was looking for a used tt when I found this 124 with a cheap but very good Jelco SA250 : 1200 euros. I put it on a suspended PAB platform ( 750 euros ) and equipped the arm with a Denon DL103 Expert Stylus co ( 650 euros).
The phonostage is a Nagra BPS ( bought used for 1300 euros ). The whole set up with the phono stage gets to 3900 euros.
Not really " cheap" for a bedroom system, but it sounds divine. No frustration compared to my big Verdier system.
I will post a pic later.
Anyway if the LP12 does not please you in the Shindo system, it will be a great table for the P3 system. The LP12 clearly is a special tt. Probably the most charming one on the market. But hard to set up perfectly.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 PM

Go with your original thought...a LP12 with an Ekos will be a superb TT. Also, the Ekos or Ekos 2 is pretty much going to have no issue with the EMT cartridge. As to set up, unlike the many myths and other 'bs' about the table, once it is set up, it pretty much stays that way. Helps to have a good set-up man, but that's true with all TT's.
Power supply is fairly important, a Valhalla is ok...a Lingo 3 better and by far best: is the Radikal D...if budget allows, I would try and get a LP12 Radikal D.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Not that this thread broke the internet, but I wanted to chime back in. I had a financial curve ball, which set me back a bit.... So I pulled the trigger on a used WT Amadeus. Now I run an Amadeus and a GTA as well. I purchased a Charisma (wood body) Denon 103, to use on my Amadeus. Initial impressions are quite positive for a cartridge with less than 2 hours on it. So The Linn is on the back burner for now. I hope to get to hear one soon. I'm sure they are wonderful. Cheers -Don