AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-05-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Check out Woo Audio for sure. The lower end tube headphone amps with the recommended tube upgrade packages are incredibly musical. I have the WA6 which was one of the lowest priced examples with the 274B Sophia rectifier tube upgrade and 13EM7 tubes. I absolutely love it. What does it take to better that sound? My PrimaLuna headphone section of the amp with its straight through 14 tubes is a bit better but at 4x the price.
If the Prima luna sounds the same way using headphones, as the way it does with speakers, I can confess I will be in love and very tempted to try it.

who said we have to stick to just one audio system... LOL

Just checked the woo audio HP amps and look nice as well.

Last edited by AudioFi; 12-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFi View Post
By the way... knowing that Luxman produce very fine components. How does the sound signature of Luxman amps differ to the traditional Mcintosh with Autoformers like the Ma8900?
Take your pick. Both wonderful. It would really take a very thorough listening session to be able to dissect the differences. Both the McIntosh with autoformers and Luxman Class A sound wonderfully organic and engaging with the liquid midrange being of especially attractive qualities.

The McIntosh is a more "visually" interesting product with the blue meters and its US heritage. Luxman is also elegant and also has meters but in a more reserved, Japanese traditional way.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If the Prima luna sounds the same way using headphones, as the way it does with speakers, I can confess I will be in love and very tempted to try it.

who said we have to stick to just one audio system... LOL

Just checked the woo audio HP amps and look nice as well.
Headphones are typically better because you are not dealing with speaker to room interaction. You will get perfect acoustics. What you don't get is the obvious 3 dimensional soundstage in a well treated room. With headphones however, over time and with most stereo recordings, your brain will quickly learn to construct dimensional soundstages while listening. I don't notice the difference anymore unless it is earlier recording where the instruments were very hard panned left and right...

PrimaLuna sounds just as seductive through the headphone jack. I suggest headphones in the higher impedance range to match better with tubes but it can drive virtually anything.

To my ears, the higher impedance headphones benefit tremendously from either SS amps with robust rail voltages or tubes. Because tubes are voltage sources, not current. Lower impedance headphones are much easier to drive for SS than tubes.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Default New MA8900 Integrated

Quote:
A question for owners of audiophile Headphone amplifiers... Compared to a dedicated HP amp do you find a big difference in sound quality?

As Serge points out, some amps, like certain Macs, Luxman, and PrimaLuna, have good headphone stages. The Luxman SQ-N150, for example, takes its headphone feed from the amp circuit. However, I’ve found with some pre- and integrated amps that the headphone circuit is an afterthought and not necessarily up to the performance level of the amp itself. The same can be said for many dacs with headphone circuits - they’re there because it’s a marketing requirement these days, but may not have been the primary design focus. The Woo amps are a real treat, and in many cases a significant jump in sound quality. I’ll admit to being a fanboy though, I have 3 of them and a 4th on the way[emoji41].
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 12-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
By the way... knowing that Luxman produce very fine components. How does the sound signature of Luxman amps differ to the traditional Mcintosh with Autoformers like the Ma8900?
I know we all like to read reviews so here is what I thought was an honest review of the Luxman. Not from a magazine but from an enthusiast who bought his Luxman with his own money.

But exactly the same phrase and summary can be said of any of the equivalent McIntosh products " I've spent years with both now.

As for sound, it’s delicate yet powerful, rich, big, and sweet yet detailed. Never really heard anything quite like it. It took a few weeks to burn in but now it is as open as the sky above."

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...by-steve-huff/
Old 12-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
As Serge points out, some amps, like certain Macs, Luxman, and PrimaLuna, have good headphone stages. The Luxman SQ-N150, for example, takes its headphone feed from the amp circuit. However, I’ve found with some pre- and integrated amps that the headphone circuit is an afterthought and not necessarily up to the performance level of the amp itself. The same can be said for many dacs with headphone circuits - they’re there because it’s a marketing requirement these days, but may not have been the primary design focus. The Woo amps are a real treat, and in many cases a significant jump in sound quality. I’ll admit to being a fanboy though, I have 3 of them and a 4th on the way[emoji41].
I totally agree Tony, that was my experience with previous integrated amps that sounded good, but the Headphone stage had lesser quality. And perhaps thats why I wasn’t expecting from the Ma8900 to have a headphone stage that good.
Sometimes many people claim Mcintosh products to be expensive, but now with my actual experience with the brand, regarding of what you get ( Quality to last a lifetime, great sound, very fine headphone amp and a very nice phono stage). I just can say that I got a lot of good things for what I paid.. Mcintosh integrated amps are pricey but not actually expensive.

I just sneaked in to the Woo audio page and liked a couple of options. Wa6 and 7 are interesting products in their own way.

Mau

Last edited by AudioFi; 12-05-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Headphones are typically better because you are not dealing with speaker to room interaction. You will get perfect acoustics. What you don't get is the obvious 3 dimensional soundstage in a well treated room. With headphones however, over time and with most stereo recordings, your brain will quickly learn to construct dimensional soundstages while listening. I don't notice the difference anymore unless it is earlier recording where the instruments were very hard panned left and right...

PrimaLuna sounds just as seductive through the headphone jack. I suggest headphones in the higher impedance range to match better with tubes but it can drive virtually anything.

To my ears, the higher impedance headphones benefit tremendously from either SS amps with robust rail voltages or tubes. Because tubes are voltage sources, not current. Lower impedance headphones are much easier to drive for SS than tubes.
I totally agree. The C2700 has a superb headphone amplifier that sounds absolutely wonderful with higher impedance headphones. The best part is that like all of their higher end preamps and integrated amps, it also uses McIntosh proprietary crossfeed circuit which to me makes a big difference. Instead of the sound shooting into your ears you get a panoramic view of the sound coming from in front of the headphones which makes long listening sessions extremely natural and comfortable. The Sennheiser HD600 is a dream pairing with C2700 and has same breathtaking midrange and musicality as my Harbeth 30.2 speakers.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtn8 View Post
I totally agree. The C2700 has a superb headphone amplifier that sounds absolutely wonderful with higher impedance headphones. The best part is that like all of their higher end preamps and integrated amps, it also uses McIntosh proprietary crossfeed circuit which to me makes a big difference. Instead of the sound shooting into your ears you get a panoramic view of the sound coming from in front of the headphones which makes long listening sessions extremely natural and comfortable. The Sennheiser HD600 is a dream pairing with C2700 and has same breathtaking midrange and musicality as my Harbeth 30.2 speakers.
HD600. Legendary music makers.

There is not a day goes by where I’m not listening in them in the late evenings.

They get better with the “years” not “hours” accrued. Like fine wine, whiskey or cognac, they age gracefully with time.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
The Woo amps are a real treat, and in many cases a significant jump in sound quality. I’ll admit to being a fanboy though, I have 3 of them and a 4th on the way[emoji41].
What do you have coming Tony?
Old 03-13-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I totally agree Tony, that was my experience with previous integrated amps that sounded good, but the Headphone stage had lesser quality. And perhaps thats why I wasn’t expecting from the Ma8900 to have a headphone stage that good.
Sometimes many people claim Mcintosh products to be expensive, but now with my actual experience with the brand, regarding of what you get ( Quality to last a lifetime, great sound, very fine headphone amp and a very nice phono stage). I just can say that I got a lot of good things for what I paid.. Mcintosh integrated amps are pricey but not actually expensive.

I just sneaked in to the Woo audio page and liked a couple of options. Wa6 and 7 are interesting products in their own way.

Mau
I have the same 8900 and enjoying it. Curious how are you enjoying the T2? I have a blue sound node and was a/b testing a zen stream but I don’t hear any difference. I think it would need a higher end product like a T2 to hear a difference from the DA1. Also wondering if a DA2 is worth it or go for a T2 or similar product. Cheers!