AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 12-06-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Tony, 'pretty good' is all I'd give it, IMO the mdf platter is a POS.

Op, do you have Lp's to play or merely looking to get your feet wet ? if the latter and IMO only, analog 'on the cheap' is a waste of $$. I'm not trying to say you need to re-mortgage the house just that good analog is a far greater cost than good digital.

I'm an old fart that's been spinning 'black pizza' for 50 plus years, I have a modest record collection (1000-1500 Lp's), if I were starting out today would I ?...... nope.

Very good advice. Totally agree, including the ‘nope’ part. [emoji51]
Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Just for the sake of accuracy, the current Rega Planar 1, which retails for ~$475, has a phenolic platter, not an MDF platter.
now that's good to know, who says nobody listens !
Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM

I've had my Denon DP-300f for over a decade and I love it! The price hasn't even gone up which is really amazing! I have tried a couple other tables costing as much as $1500 but I still prefer the Denon. I have no desire to upgrade until I can afford to buy something in the $20 000+ range.

The included cartridge is garbage. Don't even bother installing it. I recommend the Denon DL-110 which unfortunately has skyrocketed in price...

The built in phono stage is okay but the phono stage in my McIntosh C40 preamp is far superior.

I also agree with others here regarding the entry level Rega turntable... I wouldn't bother with a Rega unless you get at least the RP6 model.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
now that's good to know, who says nobody listens !
Well, Rega clearly listens to their "VOC": Voice of the Customer.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I've had my Denon DP-300f for over a decade and I love it! The price hasn't even gone up which is really amazing! I have tried a couple other tables costing as much as $1500 but I still prefer the Denon. I have no desire to upgrade until I can afford to buy something in the $20 000+ range.

The included cartridge is garbage. Don't even bother installing it. I recommend the Denon DL-110 which unfortunately has skyrocketed in price...

The built in phono stage is okay but the phono stage in my McIntosh C40 preamp is far superior.

I also agree with others here regarding the entry level Rega turntable... I wouldn't bother with a Rega unless you get at least the RP6 model.
Sorry, respectfully agree. Even the Planar 3 punches WAY above its price class with respect to performance.

FYI: the "RP-series" has been superceded with the current "Planar series"
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Retired

Don't mind Dave. Like all of us, he is wrong on occasion. And this is one of them. He might not start today, but that has nothing to do with your doing so. Besides, as he said....... he's an old fart. The Rega is a very good place to start. Record cleanliness is next godliness, for sure. So budget for at least a Spin-Clean LP cleaning system. Gave my grand-daughter a nice, refurb'd Dual 721 a couple of years back and it is still providing excellent sound. When she graduates from college in a few years I'll likely up-grade her to something better. In the meantime, she, like you (and most of us) can obtain great enjoyment from a $500 vinyl TT/TA.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Well, “pretty good” is what you’re going to get for $500
Exactly
Old 12-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Exactly

[QUOTE=Formerly YB-2;988175.... The Rega is a very good place to start. Record cleanliness is next godliness, for sure. So budget for at least a Spin-Clean LP cleaning system. Gave my grand-daughter a nice, refurb'd Dual 721 a couple of years back and it is still providing excellent sound. When she graduates from college in a few years I'll likely up-grade her to something better. In the meantime, she, like you (and most of us) can obtain great enjoyment from a $500 vinyl TT/TA.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is where we are are. Borrowed our youngest daughter's TT to see if we would enjoy spinning vinyl. Had a local shop clean our massive collection of 18 (yes, eighteen) LP's.

More enjoyable and engaging than we expected and sound wasn't bad at all, but not the point. So, added a few carefully selected LPs and a Spin Clean from the same shop and we will see where we go.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Don't mind Dave. Like all of us, he is wrong on occasion. And this is one of them. He might not start today, but that has nothing to do with your doing so. Besides, as he said....... he's an old fart.
boy, there's the pot calling the kettle black ...... LOL !

Quote:
The Rega is a very good place to start.
Ok, given what Steve enlightened us on

Quote:
Record cleanliness is next godliness, for sure. So budget for at least a Spin-Clean LP cleaning system.
agreed 100%

Quote:
like you (and most of us) can obtain great enjoyment from a $500 vinyl TT/TA.
For those starting out, yeah I'll buy into that, but could I settle for a $500 set up at this time in my listening journey and be satisfied, maybe ..... just maybe.

To the Op, I am not trying to rain on your parade, rather just making you aware of what lies ahead. You're obviously young (lucky bastard) and with all the buzz(forums, print, etc) on the vinyl resurgence it's got you thinking. One other thing, when Glenn and I(along with a lot of the other 'old farts') started out analog / vinyl was main stream and the primary medium to which we listened.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Spin Clean.Use distilled water.I pour cleaner on pads, add the water ,spin 5-10 times each way then dry with cloths but now have a record vac.Then I dump water after washing 5-10 records, refill water run through again as a rinse.The cleaner/soap was building up on stylus and hard to get off hence the rinse.