AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new order View Post
Keep the Sashas and be happy.We all ahve periods when we for one reason or another can´t listen that much.But the listening itch always comes back.
Couldn't agree more. Sasha's are truly a classic speaker. You will never improve much on their sound no matter what comes down the road. I have had periods where I didn't listen much at all for up to 6 months. Just lost interest completely. But then it always came back. Again, the Sashs are a complete speaker, meaning that they have no obvious area needing improvement. Speakers at "Sasha level" are becoming more like D/A converters in the sense that while there are definitely significant differences, the differences are relatively small compared to what they used to be.

Over the years I have found that tweaking my system seems to renew interest for me. I enjoy a new successful tweak as much or more as a new piece of equipment. That's why I was so thrilled with the remarkable improvement in my midrange and treble with the Tg60 installation. I didn't know anything about a Tg60. Never read the OM. It was supposed to be the best on the market as far as whole house surge protection, that's all. Then I turn my system on and wallah, a cleaner midrange and treble so noticeable that I wondered what in the world has happened.

Last edited by Charles; 12-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Charles,

I get your point, I just wonder if I'm the only one that wants to sell everything when there isn't time to listen. My plan is to start tweaking my system...experimenting with cables, room treatment, and the power supply.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Charles,

I get your point, I just wonder if I'm the only one that wants to sell everything when there isn't time to listen. My plan is to start tweaking my system...experimenting with cables, room treatment, and the power supply.
You aren't the only one. I would bet that many of us audiophiles have the same thought from time to time. Whether it is due to lack of time to listen, a financial hardship, boredom with what we currently have, or even just getting tired of chasing the "absolute sound" and wanting to get off the merry-go-round.

One recent example for me is that after hearing the DeVore 0/96 Orangutan speakers, I seriously considered selling my entire system and starting over building around those speakers. They are 180 degrees from my Sasha based system, and the thought of starting over from scratch to build a new system was intriguing. But then rationality set in and I returned to my list of what's important to me and my sonic priorities in an audio system. I quickly came to realize that the DeVores would not only have been an extreme change, but more importantly a change in the wrong direction for me.

I did however buy a budget cartridge (AT 33 EV) to use in place of my Koetsu, and the changes have been fun and added some renewed interest in listening to music. Interesting how a cartridge 1/10 the cost of my reference has perked up my system!

So I too encourage you to tweak and see where it leads you. Most importantly, remember that we do this to have fun!

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
You aren't the only one. I would bet that many of us audiophiles have the same thought from time to time. Whether it is due to lack of time to listen, a financial hardship, boredom with what we currently have, or even just getting tired of chasing the "absolute sound" and wanting to get off the merry-go-round.

One recent example for me is that after hearing the DeVore 0/96 Orangutan speakers, I seriously considered selling my entire system and starting over building around those speakers. They are 180 degrees from my Sasha based system, and the thought of starting over from scratch to build a new system was intriguing. But then rationality set in and I returned to my list of what's important to me and my sonic priorities in an audio system. I quickly came to realize that the DeVores would not only have been an extreme change, but more importantly a change in the wrong direction for me.

I did however buy a budget cartridge (AT 33 EV) to use in place of my Koetsu, and the changes have been fun and added some renewed interest in listening to music. Interesting how a cartridge 1/10 the cost of my reference has perked up my system!

So I too encourage you to tweak and see where it leads you. Most importantly, remember that we do this to have fun!

Dave
Dave,

Unfortunately, I submit there can be a psychology affect on how satisfied we are with our system. You are so right when you say "chasing the "absolute sound" and wanting to get off the merry-go-round" it's exhausting and makes me want to get out of the hobby.

On a side note; I had a pair of Devore Gibons a few years ago and thought they were very good for the money and size room I had at the time.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM

The chase for new stuff can not be a end in it self.If that is the case,You finally get bored and give it all up.I have finally learned (and it took a while) to be content with the things I can afford.It is after all the musical expierience and kicks we all strive after.Those who just is in it for the gadgets tend to quit after a while.Just my 5 cents.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new order View Post
The chase for new stuff can not be a end in it self.If that is the case,You finally get bored and give it all up.I have finally learned (and it took a while) to be content with the things I can afford.It is after all the musical expierience and kicks we all strive after.Those who just is in it for the gadgets tend to quit after a while.Just my 5 cents.
Most of the time no one even knows about our hi-fi systems I suspect. I never brag about mine. Quite to the contrary I never tell anyone. Very occasionally someone other than me visits my rec room out of a necessity having nothing to do with the hi-fi. When they do they can't believe my hi-fi system. I usually point to one of my Maxxes and say, "That's a 35,000 dollar speaker. Wilson sells each one separately. Be careful and don't get too close to it." They get pretty amazed. I try not to make a big deal of it. If I haven't listened in awhile when I come into the room I usually have the spontaneous thought, "Man I never thought I'd ever have a system like this." The hobby for me is achieving a whole that is significantly greater than the sum of the parts, in other words a synergy. I enjoy the forum a lot because so few people really "understand" the hobby. As with any hobby boredom is always an issue.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I enjoy the forum a lot because so few people really "understand" the hobby. As with any hobby boredom is always an issue.
Wise words.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM

I always like to follow-up my post. I've decided not to downside and work on making the best out of my system. I recently upgraded my preamp from a Densen B-250 to the Densen B-250+...surprised by the outcome. The most significant improvements were a more open sound and better tonality. The upgrade reminds me that my electronics are getting about 90% out of my Sasha's. Getting that last 10% is still out of my price range; therefore I'll look for relatively small improvements.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post

Dave
+ 1 to that!

Sometimes I put a piece of music on that I use to enjoy as a student (when all I had was use a budget LowFi!) and I can't listen to it because the quality of the recording is so bad (or something) and I think "What have I done spending all this money on a high quality system and now I can't enjoy the stuff I use to love, I'm going to sell up and just use an iPod or something".

Then I'll listen to a quality recording that makes that amazing emotional connection and it all becomes worthwhile

BTW In my collection 1985 seems to be a particularly bad year for (CD) mastering

PJ