AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Opinions please.

I hate to do it but without a big explanation, I must sell out. The mighty Mac/Maggie system will be up for sale in the coming days piece by piece. I have the best sounding system I've ever heard (Never heard Ivan's). It's really painful saying goodbye.

However, enough negativity. I'm going to be looking for the best headset system I can get.

Can I keep the MDA1000 in the system? I love it's sound.

I'm looking for lush (not muddy), emotional, engaging. I prefer a more live performance presentation than accuracy. Both would of course be nice.

I'd like to hear your opinions on the what you'd consider the best setup for rock, folk, metal music?

Amp?
What about that Woo stuff? WES Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier

Headphones
I will probably start with the Sennheiser HD 800

Anything else?

Up to about 6k or so.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm looking for lush (not muddy), emotional, engaging. I prefer a more live performance presentation than accuracy. Both would of course be nice.

I'd like to hear your opinions on the what you'd consider the best setup for rock, folk, metal music?
I would avoid the Teflon upgrade.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. As I research I am discovering other interesting possibilities.

Here is another very attractive one.

Amp;
RP-030,Balanced Headphone Amplifier,RudiStor, Rudi Stor, Hiend, Hi-end

Phones;
T 1 - Music Pleasure - At Home - Headphones & Headsets - Headphones & Headsets
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Music Lover

I believe DJ Amtrax or Mike is the headphone expert.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Can I keep the MDA1000 in the system? I love it's sound.
Not only you can - you MUST ... at least until you have a chance to audition other DACs.

In my frenzy to build a completely new system I almost sold my MDA - fortunately I came to my senses.

I haven't listened to all DACs out there, but none of the ones I have sound as analog as the MDA1000. I know some people hate that about the MDA1000 - they want digital to sound ... ahem ... digital. To each his own, but before the MDA after a while of CDs I always felt the need to "cleanse my ears" with some vinyl. With the MDA I can go days on end without spinning LPs - and the only for variety.

To have a digital system that sounds deliciously analog is, for me, the best of both worlds.

Good luck in your quest - I might suggest getting an amp that might double up as both a headphone and high-efficiency speaker amp.

Alberto
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM

So sorry to hear you are selling your beloved system! I personally use a Ray Samuels B-52 and HD 800's with the Stefan Audio Art cables. I also have an
EAR HP-4, which is very satisfying. I have some Edition 10's coming from Ivan, and will happily share the results when they arrive. Stax is also releasing a newer version of the Omega this year, which should mate very well with a Headamp Blue Hawaii SE or Aristeaus. Sennheiser HE 90's are also wonderful when they can be found, albeit a little too pricey. Good luck!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 AM

I like the Sennheiser's HD 800 but ultimately I preferred the PS1000 Grados. The Senn were more lush and warm but the Grados had more oomph and were more comfortable for me.

When I pluck up enough courage to buy a set of cans with headphone amp I think it will be PS1000 mated with that Italian headphone amp whose name escapes me at the moment.

howie
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I like the Sennheiser's HD 800 but ultimately I preferred the PS1000 Grados. The Senn were more lush and warm but the Grados had more oomph and were more comfortable for me.

When I pluck up enough courage to buy a set of cans with headphone amp I think it will be PS1000 mated with that Italian headphone amp whose name escapes me at the moment.

howie
Howie,

The Sennheiser HD800 will only perform best with the Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amplifier OR better still, the Leben C300XS Integrated Amplifier's headphone output ... strange as it may seem. Understand there are owners who buy this great integrated amplifier just to drive this pair of headphones. For sure, I have heard it being driven by the Black Cube Linear and I must say, its simply a great experience.

Did not buy as I do not listen to "cans" plus its really costly to buy just these 2 combo, or worse still, even more for the Leben to drive/power them

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Skip the HD 800's and get a pair of the Audeze phones. Best I've ever heard. They sound great with one of the Woo amps, or think about auditioning the Red Wine Amp. It also has a DAC built in that is very "Analog" sounding. You can buy the whole thing for about 3-4k and I think you would be very happy with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM

May I suggest to keep the MDA 1000? And to associate with some Stax stuff; I have to say it's magic; I use the SR507 headphones with SR600 Limited Edition (50th Anniversary Combo) amp with fantastic results, you should drop an ear to make your own opinion; I preferred this combo over the HD800 , which is excellent by the way, especially for the price.