AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Chief Toneologist

Default Announcing The Delicious One Audio Aficionado Limited Edition

Fellow Audio Aficionados,

I am thrilled and honored to present to you the Audio Aficionado Limited Edition of The Delicious One variable deliciousness control.

This edition will limited to 10 units and will only available to Audio Aficionado subscribers*.

What is it?

As introduced in a thread a few days ago, The Delicious One is a unique passive tone control designed to help with at least three listening situations:
  • Low-volume listening: Like a traditional loudness control, The Delicious One makes low volume listening more satisfying.

• Harsh recordings: While it can’t make a harsh, over-compressed, recording sound like Jazz at the Pawnshop, The Delicious One can help take the edge off these recordings to make them much more enjoyable.

• Lean recordings: Some recordings are not harsh but they sound thin, lean–unsatisfying. The Delicious One adds body (and soul?) to these recordings to make the listening experience more enjoyable.

Bottom line: Other than in low-volume listening situations, The Delicious One is not something you would use or need to listen to Diana Krall, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, or any musicians whose records sound great without any help; in those situations the bypass switch takes it out of the loop and makes it completely transparent. But, if you are like me and not afraid to use tone controls when the situation calls for it, there are a many records where the music is great, but the sound can be harsh, fatiguing or unsatisfying–and that’s where The Delicious One comes in.

You can read more about The Delicious One at Delicious Decibels - Home.

What’s this Audio Aficionado Limited Edition all about?

What makes it special, aside from being being the very first units available, is that each will be hand-built, soldered point-to-point and hand-numbered and signed by yours truly!

Furthermore, after assembling it, I will personally run it through my usual battery of tests and even provide you with a printout of the performance chart (a plot of frequency response at various knob settings) for your very own numbered unit:

It will also look unique because, after months of testing, I’ve finalized the internal circuit and selected the components, but I am still experimenting with various finishes for the case, finish/color for the big knob and overall labeling/logo design. I want to be really sure about it before ordering a bunch. As a result, these AA Limited Edition units come with a special “stealth” finish: black case, metallic knob, no logos or other marking (other than a dot to indicate the knob position) ... not that any are really needed since there is only one knob and one bypass switch. I think it looks great, something you’d see in Batman’s home. See the photos below for what the AA Limited Edition looks like.

I should also point out that this Limited Edition is designed for RCA line-input/output. A balanced unit is in the works but not available yet, and will cost quite a bit more.

Another thing that makes this AA edition special is the low introductory price: $249 + shipping ... I know I’ve spent more on a power-cables ... and this is a hand-built (by me!) device that will make a positive difference that you will be able to hear immediately.

If, for whatever reason, you don’t like it or want to get a production version when it’s ready I will gladly take this potential collector item back and refund you the money minus shipping costs (or apply the balance to a different version.)

Interested?

The website will accept credit cards/paypal/etc, but you don't need to think about it now. I will notify you when the units are ready for shipping (3-4 weeks) and we'll take care of it then; but please don't get in line unless you are pretty darn sure you want one.

If you are interested in placing an order for the one of the first 10 copies of The Delicious One please send me a private message (you’ll need to be an AA member to do so) or just reply to this post indicating so, and early next week I will send you more information including a link/password to a private page on the Delicious Decibels website (Delicious Decibels - Home) where you can take a peek at the draft of the manual and hear samples of The Delicious One Audio Aficionado Limited Edition in action (so you’ll know what you are getting.)

Thanks a bunch!

Alberto

Chief Toneology Officer
Delicious Decibels

P.S. First come, first built and shipped. The first two or three serial numbers may already be taken by people who have already contacted me. If I get more than 10 requests, I will start a waiting list. If I get zero requests, I will seriously reconsider this venture :-).

* In the original post I wrote Audio Aficionado *member*, I should have said *subscriber*. I will honor the people who have signed up but future special AA offers, etc., will be for subscribers only ... and it's only $25/yr. If you got in The Delicious One deal it will have already paid for itself.

Last edited by Alberto; 01-13-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Media Server Aficionado

This is such a neat little device. Seems like a no-brainer for the vastness of fiddlers and tweakers we have on AA.

GLWS!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

The members of this site never cease to amaze.

Alberto: The Delicious One which is exactly what so many audiophiles may desire and at a great price.

Emile: E-silentPc which is a music server that is virtually "Bit Perfect" and Rips almost anything from Bluray to to HD tracks with 2 mirrored 3TB NAS. Also, at a great price.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post

Alberto: The Delicious One which is exactly what so many audiophiles may desire and at a great price.

Emile: E-silentPc which is a music server that is virtually "Bit Perfect" and Rips almost anything from Bluray to to HD tracks with 2 mirrored 3TB NAS. Also, at a great price.
Thanks, Howard!

And you just have your FIRST 3TB; my solution can scale to hundreds of TB and beyond to PB, even!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Alberto... You can count me in for one; serial #8 please.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
This is such a neat little device. Seems like a no-brainer for the vastness of fiddlers and tweakers we have on AA.

GLWS!
Thank you Emile!

Alberto
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post

Thank you Howard; AA is a special site indeed. Friendship, courtesy and respect lead to confidence; which leads some of us to share and try things that on many other forums would lead to all kinds of hostility.

I am quite sure that if it wasn't for Audio Aficionado, I would have probably kept The Delicious One as a one-off for my own use.

Alberto
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Alberto... You can count me in for one; serial #8 please.
It'd be an honor Ivan. #8 is yours ... but why #8 if I can ask.

Thank you,

Alberto
Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
It'd be an honor Ivan. #8 is yours ... but why #8 if I can ask.

Thank you,

Alberto
Of course... 8 is my lucky number.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Alberto, is "The Delicious One" Shindo approved?
We wouldn't want to be blacklisted by the Shindo faithful.