AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Default 802/801/800 owners, if the HTM1D was still in production would you buy it?

I was just browsing Audiogon and seen an add from someone looking to buy a HTM1D so people are still trying to add the discontinued HTM1D speaker to their 802D, 801D & 800D setups and most likely even to current gen 802 Diamond and 800 Diamond systems.

I am curious, if the HTM1D (now it would be the HTM1 Diamond I guess) was still in production how many of you would buy one? I for one would buy one in a heartbeat and I'm running the current 802 Diamonds. It would be intersting to know what your main speakers are. If you would still go with the HTM2 Diamond over a HTM1 Diamond I would be interested to know why you would do that also i.e. financial reasons, the HTM1 is too big for your room, etc.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM

I would!

Since the HTM1 diamond isn't available, I wont consider upgrading my system to the current generation...big mistake on B&W's part in IMHO. My system wont work for 3 800's across my front end due to the screen...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 PM

If I was enough of a TV buff, I definitely would. Seems a shame it was discontinued.

But to be honest, I don't think I'm even going to bother with a HT setup. I watch about 20-30 blueray a year. I probably listen to as many whole albums on a given weekend.

I currently play movies a tmodest volume through my 2 channel setup (C2300/MC501/800D) and it sounds quite acceptable (to me). But again, I only enjoy the occasional film. Meanwhile, I am engrossed in music.

Best,

Matt
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks for your reponses.

Kahuna brought up something that hadn't even crossed my mind, existing HTM1D owners upgrading to the new version. Now that you mention it it makes sense as people certainly have reported upgrading say 802D's to 802 Diamonds and the same for the 800's, even HTM2D's to HTM2 Diamonds.

It would be interesting to know if perspective B&W buyers have gone another route completely because they felt they could not get a true matching center for the 802/800, this is assuming they were in the market for a surround system. This is obviously based on them not being able to run 3 towers up front like Kal Rubinson does.

Oh for the record I have the HTM2 Diamond and would have no issues selling it or trading it towrads a HTM1 Diamond. Sure I would be out some money but the upgrade would be worth it I think in the long run. I think the HTM2 Diamond is a marvelous sounding speaker, crisp and detailed but not having that marlan midrange setup always leaves me pining for the HTM1.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM

I would definitely have considered it if it were updated to the current spec of new Diamonds. I upgraded my HTM2D to the HTM2D2 and feel that it's not quite the match for the 802D2. The center seems sucked out and doesn't fill seemlessly.

Having said that, adding all the pieces together, I may have gone another brand too. Too much good stuff out there.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM

This may shock you Rod but I would NOT buy the HTM1D if I had to do it again. Don't get me wrong, it is a fabulous speaker and really the only one worthy of pairing with the 800D (next to another 800D of course).

The best sounding HT systems I have heard have always involved systems that used identical speakers at each point. If the idea is to create an all enveloping sound field, without the timbre smearing that often accompanies mixed monitors, it's really the best way to go. Some lessers systems clearly will not keep up with the resolving capabilities that the 800 series can offer up front but that isn't what should matter in HT settings anyway. Leave that special moment for 2CH playback.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM

This may shock you Rod but I would NOT buy the HTM1D if I had to do it again. Don't get me wrong, it is a fabulous speaker and really the only one worthy of pairing with the 800D (next to another 800D of course).

The best sounding HT systems I have heard have always involved systems that used identical speakers at each point. If the idea is to create an all enveloping seamless soundfield, without the timbral smearing effects that often accompanies mixed monitors, it's really the best way to go. Some lessers systems clearly will not keep up with the resolving capabilities that the 800 series can offer up front but that isn't what should matter in HT settings anyway. Leave that special moment for 2CH playback.

Last edited by RebelMan; 12-31-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM

So you currently have the HTM1D correct?

I guess I can see that, we do tend to go over board when it comes to home theater. Technically for home theater an all 805 setup (so 5, 7, 9 or 11 of them) with say 4 subs would make for amazing surround system.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM

I have one and would buy it again... I understand all speakers being the same if I had the room... Since I don't, I went from the HTM2D to the HTM1D and never lookd back. It sounds as close to seemless to me as I am going to get.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
So you currently have the HTM1D correct?
Sold it about a year ago. As far as center speakers go nothing comes close to the HTM1D.

My system use to consist of the 800D, HTM1D, SCMS and ASW-825 and it did HT very well. But I have decided to take a new path, not unlike B&W, and plan to rebuild in a few years an HT system consisting of 7 in-walls speakers and 4 in-wall subwoofers.

I am not looking have the best HT system just an excellent one and it can remain static for years to come thereby freeing up the mains of a 2CH system to be anything I want when I want. Both systems will share a common space yet be independent of each other as much as I need them to be.

To bring that movie going experience home I am finding it increasingly necessary to have a larger than life screen rather than larger than life sound. Besides I enjoy the later more when listening to music.