AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Default Wilson Sashas with Mcintosh MC2301 300 Watt Tube Monoblocks?

Hey people of Audio Aficionado,

I'm brand new to the forum, so a warm hello to everyone! I am in the process of building my first serious HiFi, and was looking for a bit of advice. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the MC2301 tube monoblocks from Mcintosh, and specifically driving the Wilson Sashas?

The system I am looking at putting together involves a Linn Klimax DS streamer, the MC2301s, and the Sashas or the new B&W 802 Diamonds.

I've fallen in love with the idea (and looks) of the 2301s, but unfortunately won't be able to demo them, although I am listening to some 802Ds soon.

Which speakers do you feel the 2301s would be best suited to, the Sashas or 802 Diamonds? Neither?

I really want to stretch to the Sashas, but I'm not sure if the beauty of the 2301s has just captivated me, when I should be looking at 500 watt+ monsters from Krell etc...

Many thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Comments carried forward from other thread.

http://audioaficionado.org/b-w-speak...tml#post109408
Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Thank you mate, any chance you could elaborate a little? Did the 2301s push the Sashas or 802 Diamonds to loud volumes, for example?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze311 View Post
Thank you mate, any chance you could elaborate a little? Did the 2301s push the Sashas or 802 Diamonds to loud volumes, for example?
Yes, the 2301's were able to fill a nice Home Theater size room. I am not sure tubes are the right choice if you want to drive the speakers at 105dB for long periods, but that is your decision.
Too bad you are not near Southeast Michigan. One of the local dealers has all three units and could easily set-up up a demo for you.
Jim
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks Jim, yeah it's a real shame, sounds perfect! So did the 802 Diamonds fill the room as loudly as the Sashas? It's just I've heard they are notoriously difficult to drive...

To be honest, I'll probably make my entrance to hifi with B&W, or something else at that price level. I know there is one user on here, beerdraft, who uses the combination of 2301 and 802 diamond to great effect.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM

I think 2301 and 802 will make wonders for you
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze311 View Post
Thanks Jim, yeah it's a real shame, sounds perfect! So did the 802 Diamonds fill the room as loudly as the Sashas? It's just I've heard they are notoriously difficult to drive...

To be honest, I'll probably make my entrance to hifi with B&W, or something else at that price level. I know there is one user on here, beerdraft, who uses the combination of 2301 and 802 diamond to great effect.
No, the 802D's are not the easiest speaker to drive , but in most rooms they do very well with a 402 or a pair of 501's. They may do better with some Krell mono blocks or Spectrons, but musically the Mac gear might come out ahead.

I am not a huge tube fan but I think the 2301's sound better on some speakers like 1K's over even a pair of 1.2ks. It is a matter of synergy. Not everyone will agree with my comments but that is okay too.
Jim
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Hi,

It is worth noting that the latest 802 diamond (2010 spec) has seen improvements to the efficiency of drive through new magnets. 300w of mac will drive them no sweat.

Cheers
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Keyserzose, it is a bit odd that you are starting your quest from the amp... Both speakers you mentioned are quite an investment and should be thoroughly researched and auditioned to see which if either are the right speakers for your taste, room and partnering gear.

I have never owned 802D's but have heard them many times with best results being an amp with tons of current. I didn't particularly care for 800/802 with mcintosh solid state amps as the bass was simply flabby... Classe and Krell was better but still the 800/802 didn't completely satisfy for the high price they command. I don't know about the newer versions...

Sasha is a very impressive speaker but it is rather demanding with a 1.8 ohm dip at around 90Hz... Not something a tube amp of any kind will appreciate since no tube amp is a high current device nor do they like the low impedance swings, especially when it comes to woofers that demand tons of current for proper control. It takes lots of current to get the woofer to start the dynamic transient and it takes lots to stop it as well... Hence the often "warmish" tonal balance as the bass gets a bit too sloppy...

In my opinion, neither is a great speaker for a tube amp unless the new 800/802 is drastically different because the last 800d was called the "amplifier ball buster" when stereophile had an article on amps and how they get tortured by speakers...

There are speakers of various flavors designed with tube amps in mind, look at the Verity Audio speakers for example, some models are stable 8 ohms impedance with a good to great sensitivity rating to allow for higher sound levels in larger rooms. Impedance characteristics being more important and sensitivity being a determining factor of how low of a tube amp you can go...

Having said all that, both speakers can be driven by the 2301 just don't expect full control and sonic perfection out of them...
Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Keyserzose, it is a bit odd that you are starting your quest from the amp... Both speakers you mentioned are quite an investment and should be thoroughly researched and auditioned to see which if either are the right speakers for your taste, room and partnering gear.

I have never owned 802D's but have heard them many times with best results being an amp with tons of current. I didn't particularly care for 800/802 with mcintosh solid state amps as the bass was simply flabby... Classe and Krell was better but still the 800/802 didn't completely satisfy for the high price they command. I don't know about the newer versions...

Sasha is a very impressive speaker but it is rather demanding with a 1.8 ohm dip at around 90Hz... Not something a tube amp of any kind will appreciate since no tube amp is a high current device nor do they like the low impedance swings, especially when it comes to woofers that demand tons of current for proper control. It takes lots of current to get the woofer to start the dynamic transient and it takes lots to stop it as well... Hence the often "warmish" tonal balance as the bass gets a bit too sloppy...

In my opinion, neither is a great speaker for a tube amp unless the new 800/802 is drastically different because the last 800d was called the "amplifier ball buster" when stereophile had an article on amps and how they get tortured by speakers...

There are speakers of various flavors designed with tube amps in mind, look at the Verity Audio speakers for example, some models are stable 8 ohms impedance with a good to great sensitivity rating to allow for higher sound levels in larger rooms. Impedance characteristics being more important and sensitivity being a determining factor of how low of a tube amp you can go...

Having said all that, both speakers can be driven by the 2301 just don't expect full control and sonic perfection out of them...
Hey PHC1, thanks for your reply. As I understand it, people often build a system around the speakers, although Linn's motto is Source first... Maybe I should listen more seriously to some different kinds of speakers before I settle on the MC2301s, but note I am already pretty keen on using a Linn Klimax DS streamer if I go the separates route (as opposed to active).

It's a shame there isn't more choice in the computer audio realm, as that's what I want to do for the digital side of things.. It's just the 2301s have captivated me with their beauty, and I've only read good things about them. I demo the 802 Diamonds soon, and have already been to a few demos around town.