AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM

I'll do a search on Audio Asylum for a given tube. Not gospel but that one was sort of panned. I have bought more than a few duds. I've had my amp and pre since 7/15 and am finally concluding what tubes works best for me. It's a slippery slope that can make you.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I'll do a search on Audio Asylum for a given tube. Not gospel but that one was sort of panned. I have bought more than a few duds. I've had my amp and pre since 7/15 and am finally concluding what tubes works best for me. It's a slippery slope that can make you.

I completely concur. I have had these since early 2015. Got them as a pair. Built in 2013.

image-4266177221.jpg

The tube complement which is likely my favorite includes, Preamp: Sophia 274b rect, Russian rocket (2) 6h1n-eb, 6cg7, Amp: Bendix 6106 rect, 6n6p driver and Visseaux 6v6gt. I really like the JJ and GL kt-77s with 5ar4 rect in the amp as well. Im as happy with this pair as the day I bought them. Maybe more so. Having since had a PSE and LP-27a made for a second system I still enjoy these as much as ever. My second system is just awesome but takes nothing away from these. I figure any of the Inspire products are as DH advertises, "Lifetime". I know I would only regret it I I was ever to divest my self of any of the 4 i own.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I completely concur. I have had these since early 2015. Got them as a pair. Built in 2013.

Attachment 50107

The tube complement which is likely my favorite includes, Preamp: Sophia 274b rect, Russian rocket (2) 6h1n-eb, 6cg7, Amp: Bendix 6106 rect, 6n6p driver and Visseaux 6v6gt. I really like the JJ and GL kt-77s with 5ar4 rect in the amp as well. Im as happy with this pair as the day I bought them. Maybe more so. Having since had a PSE and LP-27a made for a second system I still enjoy these as much as ever. My second system is just awesome but takes nothing away from these. I figure any of the Inspire products are as DH advertises, "Lifetime". I know I would only regret it I I was ever to divest my self of any of the 4 i own.
What speakers are you driving with the cream Inspire?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Default Tube trivia

By Roger Modjeski owner of RAM Labs

The 6L6 is a favorite tube of mine but sadly has not captured the attention of the audio community. It appears to be a bit of a black sheep in the flock of popular output tubes. What I like about it is never mentioned so I will. It has the lowest filament consumption vs. plate dissipation of all the power tubes. It was also the first "beam" tube and the original sketch of the internals has become the most often pictured of the internals and electron path of any tube on this planet.

With that introduction lets set a few things straight that I have read here.

1. It is nothing like an EL-34 which is a traditional pentode with a loosely wound screen grid. Its little brother is the EL-84 which is of the same construction.

2. The KT series does indeed stand for Kinkless Tetrode but the 6L6 never had kinks. The tubes that had kinks were the early tetrodes with a screen and no supressor grid. They were awful and short lived in tube manufacture. The kinks refer to the verboden negative resistance region where the plate voltage swings below the screen.

3. The KT series was the European answer to the beam tube (6L6) and some say RCA worked with the Brits developing it but get RCA to admit that! News of it was released in the first volume of RCA news in 1936 which I have studied in great detail. There is a good article on Wikipedia which I find to be accurate and the first time I have read that the Brits licensed it to RCA. In RCA news they claim to have invented it. Of course with David Sarnoff at the helm what else could one expect from the man who financially ruined Major Armstrong, the inventor of most every early radio circuit including FM and Philo Farnsworth, the father of Television. Search 6L6 on Wikipedia for more.

4. The 6L6 internals, known as the "mount" were used, with a bit larger plate, in the 807, 1625 and the first horizontal sweep tube the 6BG6. These are all essentially 6L6s.

5. The smaller brother of the 6L6 is the 6V6 beam tube and the 7 pin 6AQ5.

6. The beam tube is the output tube in the All American Five, the most popular table radio made by everyone.

7. The KT-66 is close but not quite a 6L6 as it has higher dissipation and heater current.

8. The KT-88 is the Brits answer to the Tungsol 6550

9. The KT-77 is a distant cousin to the EL-34 and was created to be a drop in replacement by Genelex. However the EL-34 is a true pentode and the KT-77 is a beam tube. The curves are quite different. The American version of the KT-77 is the 6CA7. To my knowledge no American company every made EL-34s as a true pentode. This is a rare example of making a entirely different tube as a drop-in replacement. At this time I cannot think of another.

10. The KT-90 was the creation of David Manley and Electron Industria (EI) in Nis Yugoslavia. It was a bastardization of a EL-509 and has some rather bad characteristics. When I visited the factory I chastised them for that but they said "David made us do it" What David wanted was a tube he could run at 550 Volts in an Ultralinear amp. The early Genelex tubes could do that but the modern ones couldn't.

11. The KT-120 and KT-150 are not drop in replacement for KT-88s but close enough for most amps that can handle the heater current and somewhat different bias. They are a creation of New Sensor/Electroharmonix/Sovtek headed by Mike Matthews. I have no complaints about them and time will tell. I see here pro and con reports of its sound.

12. I fully believe that the sound of a tube cannot be expressly stated as it varies with how it interacts with the amplifier. We do however see more use of the EL-34 in ultralinear circuits and the KT-88/6550 in pentode circuits. I have found this to be true in my own designs also for purely technical reasons.

I saw this post when I was searching 6L6's which have become a favorite tube. It was a reply in a thread asking why there are few 6L6 audio amps. Last weekend I ran Sylvania 6L6GAY's with a Holland Pope 80 and CV-181T in the amp. NU 27's UK 6SN7 and Tungsram 80 in the pre and was pretty surprised. The little 6L6GA's sounded much better than the GE labeled Westinghouse L6GC's with a 274 rectifier. The 6L6 is usually considered a guitar tube.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 04-25-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
What speakers are you driving with the cream Inspire?
That would be pearl white direct from a rattle can.

As for the speakers? Currently this setup:

image-1577151979.jpg

Bottom is a BK-12 kit from Madisound. A folded horn with a Fostex fe-126e driver. I was curious about folded horns so I figured what the heck, build one. I realized later that the driver was suspect. Pretty linear through 500hz, then a rather jagged response curve. Exactly what they sounded like. Gaps in the sound. I picked up the Omega Super 3Ts. I have some Super 7s which are excellent. The 3Ts are tight and revealing but lacking a bottom end, of course. So I thought what the heck, I'll borrow from Louis at Omega and use the Fostex driver rolled offf above 500 hz and run them in a 1.5 configuration. I flipped the 3Ts over to heave the drivers closer together and voila, the combo is pretty good in my bedroom setup. Being a junkie among junkies here I can admit that this is not permanent. There will be changes. In the end I have my doubts about small drivers in a folded horn. Building lower frequency with resonance seems to do be slow and less responsive than a ported or sealed box to me.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 PM

It is fun to play with speakers but *I* realize I'm no acoustic designer. I 'm curious about Omega speakers but I don't think they be a good match for my lowish power triode Inspire.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 PM

Every time I see the title of this thread I wonder if there is a grammar mistake. Should the title be:
"Dennis Had's Inspire Amps"?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread I wonder if there is a grammar mistake. Should the title be: "Dennis Had's Inspire Amps"?
Or better yet Inspire Amps by Dennis Had? Actually your's is better since he does treat them like his children so ownership is still present.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It is fun to play with speakers but *I* realize I'm no acoustic designer. I 'm curious about Omega speakers but I don't think they be a good match for my lowish power triode Inspire.
I'll bet if you got Louis to put 2 of his new 8" drivers in each cabinet you would have enough oomph. Based on early right ups.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM

The most commonly recommended amp for Omega Speakers has been the Deware Super Zen at 2wpc triode. I think that within their limits and depending on the room 2 watts may be enough, though I would argue 4 or 5 to be a better match.

I can personally attest that the speakers using RS5 drivers really work well with very low power, especially in the near field. Louis has a new 1.5 way (helper woofer below 500hz) that are an honest 96 or 97 dB at 6-8 ohms impedance.

The Omega's are very efficient for their size. If size is not an issue, I am also a fan of larger drivers. I'm working on a couple of 4.5 cubic foot enclosures that can be used with an Altec 414A or Goodmans Triaxiom 212.