AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Hmm ... I used a Symposium Ultra shelf under my VPI Scoutmaster for years without issue. I had a bad rumble issue with my Scoutmaster when using a phono stage without a subsonic filter, at that time I used a svelte shelf which didn't fix rumble.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM

I can only assume the Sym shelf is not compatible with your TT and associated gear, why I don't know, I would go back to wood console. Rumble is the pits, I hated seeing the woofers "flying".

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-13-2017, 03:56 PM

I have never had any problems with rumble under my VPI Classic on top of my Symposium ISO platform (the one with springs). I never tried the VPI on a Svelte shelf. I put all of my other components on Stillpoints and then Svelte shelves and really like the way it sounds. I don't have a audiophile rack though. I would also just leave your VPI on the wood shelf if it sounds better. You can always use the platform under something else.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 04-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Hey Guys...I am having an issue with Low Frequency rumble. I own a VPI classic signature. Just purchased some platforms from Symposium Acoustics. The rumble didn't appear until after getting the platforms. I use one for my MC452 and C2600 as well.

Placing the TT directly on my wood console is fine.

Thoughts?
Hmmmmm....I wouldn't think it's the Symposium products. I have a Segue ISO under my Classic Signature and it worked wonders. I had my table sitting directly on the top shelf of my maple rack...now the table was quiet, but if you walked with a purpose or tapped the rack at all, you would get feedback through the interconnects/table. The Symposium product solved the problem 100%. It's all dead quiet now. Would you be able to post some pictures of the setup? That may help us see what's going on and give some more ideas.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM

Default 3D tone arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Hey Guys...I am having an issue with Low Frequency rumble. I own a VPI classic signature. Just purchased some platforms from Symposium Acoustics. The rumble didn't appear until after getting the platforms. I use one for my MC452 and C2600 as well.

Placing the TT directly on my wood console is fine.

Thoughts?
I was having that issue with my Aries 3x3. My TT is on a 3.5" platform supported by isoblocks on top of my component stand. I first tried the KAB RF-1 rumble filter but I soon felt it was introducing noise to the system. I then moved my setup around, got the sub away from the TT and that helped quite a bit. One item that was brought to my attention on the VPI forum was the way the arm is setup. When I bought my TT I had the dealer set up the arm. I have since become more comfortable with the design of the 3D arm and arm board that I now do my own tweaking and checking on specs. I feel 50% of my issue was the way arm was initially setup. The base of the female bearing cup the uni-pivot fits into needs to be no further than 1/4" from top of the arm boards. The stability of the arm is compromised if the gap is larger than 1/4". I would first check your arm for this critical step. If your gap is too large you can adjust it by using an allen wrench on the adjustment nut through the top of the arm above the pivot point CCW turn will lower the cup. Once you adjust for the correct gap between base of bearing cup/tone arm and top of arm board then using the on-the-fly VTA adjustment raise your arm board until arm is parallel with LP surface. This will get you in the ball park for a starting point for VTA adjustment. My Cadenza Black gets good results with the tail of the tone arm just a bit high. Pic attached is of tone arm prior to lowering down closer to arm board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arm base 2.jpg (47.6 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by miner; 04-17-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 06-17-2017, 02:14 PM

I ended up reinserting the KAB filter and removed spikes from platform. The platform rests upon isoblocks with a layer of Herbies grungebuster between blocks an platform. All seems Ok for now
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM

It all depends on the floor you have and then the rack. I have a concrete slab with no basement. No special rack. My Classic 3SE set on 2" maple butcher block with thick sorbothane pads under then the rack. It works for me . Love the table. A forever piece.