AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-08-2020, 09:35 AM

I always sell at fire sale prices (50-70% below retail) and I sell quickly. People generally know what trade-in values from dealers run and they expect to buy at that level or less. Worst scenario is to try selling new gear bought from dealer only a few months after purchase. I only sell older gear I’ve forgotten the purchase price!
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:48 AM

I have found this last 12 months or so, it's been a terrible market to sell high $ components.
Didn't use to be this way.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRO View Post
I have found this last 12 months or so, it's been a terrible market to sell high $ components.
Didn't use to be this way.

Maybe the audiophiles went through a bulk of their final upgrades on the pre listened to market and are settling down?

If the case, my prediction for the not so popular brands will be looking at 60% - 70% of retail, and trade in at 10% on top of it delivering 20% - 30%. Perhaps this will ripple onto new gear prices making it harder all the way around.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:41 PM

As far as I'm concerned the minute a piece goes into the "back seat" and into a home system it becomes second hand, if it started "new" or a demo. I don't want it.

I get top dollar because my dealer installs all my equipment, everything. I never touch it except to turn it off/on. When the time comes to trade, they have reliable buyers that know what they are getting when it comes from me.

Every used piece comes with a significant unknown history. The more expensive and complex the more likely it is to break. That's why Mac holds its value: it sound great, looks great, is inexpensive compared to a lot of gear and is very reliable for resale.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I never touch it except to turn it off/on. When the time comes to trade, they have reliable buyers that know what they are getting when it comes from me.

Charles -
No offense, but what fun is that as a hobby??
Old 03-08-2020, 01:58 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As far as I'm concerned

McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRO View Post
Charles -
No offense, but what fun is that as a hobby??
Sorry, I deleted the quote because for some reason it did not immediately register as usual. The post you see is the second post. But to answer your question. I didn't always do it this way. I was much more hands on, doing all my unpacking, re-packing, hooking up everything, etc. I know how to do all this in my sleep. But I'm older now and have a finicky back. If I lift anything, it can hurt for months.

When my XVX was installed, initially the settings were wrong on several modules. I discovered the mistakes and had them immediately corrected. So I'm hands on when needed but my knees and back aren't what they used to be.

I also carefully check everything the dealer does. I take nothing for granted. When you have been doing this as long as I have, well, there is such a thing as "scut work". It's an old medical term. I make sure I have everything I'm supposed to have and the dealer carries zero away, he's not supposed to. Perfect example is the casters that comes with Wilson speakers. You need to know where all your ancillary stuff is. Five years later things may not be so "clear".

Last edited by Charles; 03-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:33 PM

I sold a pair of Musical Fidelity amps on A'gon a couple of years ago. At first the buyer was trying to talk me into a trade which I had no interest in. Eventually he came back with a cash offer that I accepted. Not as much as I had hoped, but enough to get me to say yes.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:03 PM

I've been lucky on Agon and USAM, I see what others are selling for and price accordingly. I of course received low ball offers and i'm never offended, you never know how low someone will go. And it usually took me a month or so to get what I wanted price-wise. Ebay has always worked fine but I usually try to wait until ebay offers a $10 max seller fee - it's not often but they do come up. Sold my C47 that way, save a lot of cash on that one.

Lake house: Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 CD, Beocord 5500 and U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. Wharfedale 225 speakers