AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Harbeth 30.2 in-room, real-time measurements!

Okaaay....now that I've settled in with the Harbeth 30.2s, have 'em set up on the stands the way I like, I thought it was time to break out good 'ole Room Equalization Wizard (aka REW) and start doin' some measurements with an end ultimately to doing a DOE (Design of Experiments) to optimally integrate my REL R-305 with the 30.2s

The 30.2s are on Resonant Woods "Curved Series" maple stands using Brook Jensen's (of Resonant Woods) hard phenolic ball feet screwed-down & locked into the 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the bottom of the stands. The stands are resting on a particle board platform that has been stained with black Varathane urethane stain.

The speakers, stands, ball footers and the stand platform are shown here:

The phenolic ball feet, which are very hard (same material as billiard balls), function analogously to speaker stand spikes in that there is a very small contact point between the phenolic ball-footer & the stand platform; they are leveled and very stable. The function of the particle board platform is to provide a firm, stable, non-rocking & "non-resonant and non-ringing" platform for the stands to sit upon on the carpet (this is my living room, not a man-cave). I tried many different materials, from regular wood to porcelain floor tiles to travertine stone, and a common hard dense particle board platform simply sounded the best.
The phenolic ball footers on the particle board platforms are shown.

The Harbeths are coupled to the Resonant Woods stands with four 1.5" square pieces of beeswax cloth at each corner. Additionally, there is a small 4" X 1/2" strip of beeswax cloth on the rear support rail at the back of the stands. The beeswax cloth serves to couple the speakers to the stands, as well as provide a "constrained layer"- style damping. The stands are "open top" so that the cabinets can do their Alan Shaw "tuned cabinet resonance" thang. The beeswax cloth also couples the speakers to the stands so well that you can practically lift the stands by lifting the speakers. Moreover, it sounds really good.

With that, I set up Room Equalization Wizard and did a very quick first-pass test sweep, just to check that things are working with the REL....

Not bad for a very first pass just to check settings and gear.

Next, I'll see if I can smooth out some peaks and nulls and get the response above 4K up a skosh...

More later, stay tuned....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-26-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:26 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Stephen... great system, photo and facts. I have a suggestion; if you put a single Stillpoints Aperture Panel II Panel between your windows, you would be gobsmacked. I know, because I am.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Stephen... great system, photo and facts. I have a suggestion; if you put a single Stillpoints Aperture Panel II Panel between your windows, you would be gobsmacked. I know, because I am.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ivan. I'll consider it as I've heard good things about them also from Caelin and Stirling Trayle.

Actually, you can't tell very easily from the photo, but those windows behind my half-wall are opposite a very deep stairwell that goes down to the front door. So, I don't know how effective this panel would be on the wall on the opposite side of a deep entry-way stairwell.

Also, they are pretty pricey at $800 each. If I put up some more acoustical treatments, I think I will be installing a few GIK Acoustics Impression Diffusor panels of this design....

My space is quite unorthodox in that is not at all a rectangular "man-cave" type of room with four walls; its very open in a number of directions; behind the half-wall that is behind the audio rack, there is a deep stairwell that leads down to the front door, and off to the right of the audio rack is another open area with stairs which leads down to the deep stairwell. Also, there is effectively no back wall for the left speaker...just a long hallway, so I have actually have to be careful of the room becoming over-damped from acoustical treatments. I got four of the GIK Polyfusors from Keith (KMC45), and put all of 4 of them in the listening area, and they completely sucked all the energy out of the room; it was too dead-sounding.

Right now, I am using the two GIK Alpha 4As you can see and one of the GIK polyfusors, and overall, things are pretty well-balanced. What I currently don't have problem with are the high frequencies being too energetic; actually I'd like to get the frequency response above 7 KHz up about 5-6 dB.

We'll see how things turn out as I delve into speaker placement, sub settings and all...

Thanks and cheers,
Stephen.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-26-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

As starting point before taking some base measurements in preparation for my new DOE for the 'Beths, today I did a soundcard calibration for the Soundcard in my 2015 Macbook Pro. My setup uses a NIST-traceable Dayton calibrated mic (with the mic calibration files for 0°, 45° and 90° provided) and an M-Audio MobilePre mic USB mic preamp.

I ran the Soundcard calibration routine and obtained this result. I think it looks pretty good based on the info from the REW forum...

Old 08-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Ivan. I'll consider it as I've heard good things about them also from Caelin and Stirling Trayle.
Stephen,

I'm curious - have you had Stirling Trayle out to your room and perform his magic? Or know others that have?
I've been considering using him for a day (once I have some panels up on my back wall). I've been reading about him for years: Audio Systems Optimized
I'm not sure what he charges, but guessing it's at least a few $100/HR. I know my system could use some tweaking.
I believe you're in Castro Valley - as I'm in Danville, Stirling is based out of Petaluma, so all pretty much local. Anyway - system looks fabulous.
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali
Amps: McIntosh MC2301
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C1100
Tubes: Genalex Gold Lions
Digital: PS Audio DirectStream Junior: Roon Ready
Signal Cables: WireWorld XLR's
Speakers: Canton Reference K3's
Speaker cables: WW Silver Eclipse 7
Analog: Dr. Feickert Woodpecker+Kuzma 4-point+Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT & Miyajima Infinity (Mono) // Hana Umami (Stereo)
Tweaks: Shakti Stones, GIK Panels, IsoAcoustics Feet
Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
Stephen,

I'm curious - have you had Stirling Trayle out to your room and perform his magic? Or know others that have?
I've been considering using him for a day (once I have some panels up on my back wall). I've been reading about him for years: Audio Systems Optimized
I'm not sure what he charges, but guessing it's at least a few $100/HR. I know my system could use some tweaking.
I believe you're in Castro Valley - as I'm in Danville, Stirling is based out of Petaluma, so all pretty much local. Anyway - system looks fabulous.
Hi Ventoux (sorry I don't know your real name),

I haven't had Stirling out to my house but I went to a talk he gave for the SFAS meeting in April.

IIRC, Stirling charges $2000/day for setup and usually most "jobs" take two days.

And Stirling is local, but he travels a lot, right after I met him he was about to head to Asia for a while....

If you'd like to meet up some time and listen to each other's systems, let me know.

Cheers and regards,
Stephen
Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 PM

^^

Great - Ya, sounds like a lot, but, I think I paid that for 1 of my power cables... so.
Yes, we'll have to met up, I defiantly have lots to learn. I'd be curious what other systems sound like, and what others would think of mine. All about the journey

Cheers -

Ryan
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali
Amps: McIntosh MC2301
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C1100
Tubes: Genalex Gold Lions
Digital: PS Audio DirectStream Junior: Roon Ready
Signal Cables: WireWorld XLR's
Speakers: Canton Reference K3's
Speaker cables: WW Silver Eclipse 7
Analog: Dr. Feickert Woodpecker+Kuzma 4-point+Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT & Miyajima Infinity (Mono) // Hana Umami (Stereo)
Tweaks: Shakti Stones, GIK Panels, IsoAcoustics Feet
Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
^^

Great - Ya, sounds like a lot, but, I think I paid that for 1 of my power cables... so.
Yes, we'll have to met up, I defiantly have lots to learn. I'd be curious what other systems sound like, and what others would think of mine. All about the journey

Cheers -

Ryan
Sounds good, Ryan, thanks!
Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

So, this is where I'll be heading with my "experiments" with the Harbeths...a Design of Experiments (aka DOE) to fine-tune the in-room response.

Some of you may remember this study from back 2011 when I did it for optimizing my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s (oops, can I say that in a Harbeth forum? ).

Below is the ANOVA table and Leverage plots in JMP 10 for the 20 Hz response based on the DOE.

The prediction profiler telling me where to set the Sub's controls for maximal response at the room mode peaks and nulls.

And, of course. the surface plot for correcting a 155 Hz mode...

For the 'Beths, I'll probably be also looking at subwoofer position relative to the corner walls its sitting in. I'll use distance from the two walls as the continuous data variable.

I'll be using JMP 14 and a Custom Design so that I can add quadratics to the model to examine curvature in the functional responses.

When I showed this DOE to Stirling Trayle, he was all over it...

"The power of DOE compels you!"
Old 08-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Racing Hoopties

Fun stuff Stephan. Might be easier to buy a new home with a rectangular room you can measure with REW and then model all these variables.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack