AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Ivan, you have compared SF to Wilson.

Forgetting curb appeal, how do similar high priced Sonus Faber speakers, compare to Wilsons, in regard to sound quality. (Without subs) to your ears.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Media Server Aficionado

I know you asked Ivan, but my own personal preference is WA>SF.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 AM

Ahem, 2 pairs, no make that 3 pairs of SF and 2 going on 3 pairs of Wilson here but I am sure Ivan will give you an answer you are looking for.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Ahem, 2 pairs, no make that 3 pairs of SF and 2 going on 3 pairs of Wilson here but I am sure Ivan will give you an answer you are looking for.
Sounds like you know or can guess Ivans answer already.
McIntosh does not count, as his speakers are out of budget.

I am not looking for any answer, as I am not in that price range yet, and do not own a horse in that race.
That will be my next, hopefully final step, in 2 channel.
As I have stated before the Wilson's looks have grown on me, so curb appeal has no meaning.
I am thinking of going subless (which will dictate everything), in my next 2 channel system.
For many reasons.

I believe Ivan has heard many Full Range speakers also.

Last edited by KingRT; 04-01-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
:

Sounds like you know or can guess Ivans answer already.
McIntosh does not count, as his speakers are out of budget.

I am not looking for any answer, as I am not in that price range yet, and do not own a horse in that race.
That will be my next, hopefully final step, in 2 channel.
As I have stated before the Wilson's looks have grown on me, so curb appeal has no meaning.
I am thinking of going subless, in my next 2 channel system.
For many reasons.

I believe Ivan has heard many Full Range speakers also.
The SF line ends at $45k. So what do we compare the Strads to, the Maxx3 at $68k? Alexandria at over $150k? Neither of those Wilson speakers would be a fair comparison really as they are more capable speakers but more importantly a different flavor all together. I've spent time behind Strads, more than Maxx3 actually and while the Strads are colorful speakers I had an easier time pulling the trigger on the much more expensive Maxx's.... Wish I liked the Strads more, would have been much cheaper.. Can we compare the Strads to Sasha? Nope, the Elipsa occupies that price bracket. Also nice speaker, has enjoyed favorable reviews but failed to generate much enthusiasm like Sasha. Neither did the Strads.. Sonus Faber appeals to many but has not won any major titles nor really appears in the exhibiting rooms at shows much at all. While the Maxx 3 has won the speaker of the year as did the Sasha over seas so far, nothing what I have said so far should really matter to you as much as auditioning both and deciding for youself what you prefer better.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Forgetting curb appeal, how do similar high priced Sonus Faber speakers, compare to Wilsons, in regard to sound quality. (Without subs) to your ears.

Thanks
When I was looking for speakers for my 2-Channel room; price was not an object; and neither was time. I had over a year to seek out my blissful companions. I listened to Focal's Grand Utopia's, Wilson's Sasha, Maxx3, & Alexandria, PMC MB2's, SF, among some of the more popular brands.

I already had 2 sets of Mac XRT2K's, and was looking for another sound altogether. These would be driven by tube Amps, specifically the MC2301's.

Curb appeal aside, this was actually easier than I thought it would be.

First; awards, and reviews mean absolutely nothing to me. The only person I have to impress is me. Think it's unfair to compare a $220K pair of Grand Utopias to the $45K Strads; I don't.

For me it was a simple process of elimination. Each brand had a proper chance to dazzle and impress me with it's audio prowess.

I will now awswer your original question:

Quote:
how do similar high priced Sonus Faber speakers, compare to Wilsons, in regard to sound quality. (Without subs) to your ears.
Thanks
For me the Strads are the more musical speaker, they are not sterile sounding or fatiguing. To further expound, since you asked; I found the Sasha's to be dissapointing in most all respects. Yes, they were set up correctly as were the Maxx3's.

I listened to the Maxx3's on two occasions in different locals, and at best said to myself, "I could live with these speakers" but that certainly shouldn't be. I even went to New York to hear the Alexandria's hoping they might "blow me away" unfortunately they didn't. They simply give more of the "Wilson sound"

This is a very subjective and touchy topic. There are no winners & no losers, it's all about what "You" desire to hear in a speaker. I am very fortunate to have heard, seen, and been able to aquire the pair that most impressed me; and I did just that.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Sonus Faber appeals to many but has not won any major titles nor really appears in the exhibiting rooms at shows much at all. While the Maxx 3 has won the speaker of the year as did the Sasha over seas so far, nothing what I have said so far should really matter to you as much as auditioning both and deciding for youself what you prefer better.
Serge
There is a new Speaker of the Year every year. Seems like all of the big boys win every so often. Focal, MBL, Wilson, B&W, Magico, and I think both YG and Sonus Faber have all picked up a Speaker of the Year award along the way. Even a Lipinski took the Product of the Year category several years back.
Jim
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Comparing Wilson and Sonus Faber is like the classic American muscle technological Corvette (front engine) vs European style Porsche (rear engine) debate. One may have more HP or bass but the other may handle better in certain situations or the other may be more musical vs a slight difference in ultimate detail. Both are superb sounding not trying to outdue the other but rather a different interpretation of ultimate reference performance. I have had B&W 800 series, SF Cremona, Amati's and now the Elipsa's in my 2 channel room. I have also listened to Serge's Wilson speakers at his house as well as Wilson speakers at the dealer. This is a very subjective subject. I know if I give my opinion I will be accused of drinking too much SF Koolaid. Serge your Sasha was in a price range above the Elipsa so you may have felt you were going backward if you considered Sonus Faber for your home theater. I think if the Strads had a matching center channel speaker to be integrated into your home theater you might have given that speaker more consideration but only you can answer that . I think that the Elipsa and Sophia are a fair comparison since they are both full range speakers in the same price range. They are both excellent sounding speakers. I could have purchased the Sophia but I prefered the Elipsa; it all depends on what sound rings your bell. I wanted to like the SF Amati's in my house but they were not a good match for my room . They would have sounded terrific in my home theater room but I was looking for speakers for my 2 channel room. Last night I listened without my sub. and I was not wanting for any bass even though on my test tone track at normal listening levels it produces down to 30 hz. At louder volumes it will do 20 hz but probably the Wilson speaker has a slight edge in this department . The bass from the Elipsa is more than just fine (same woofer as the strad , only the strad has 2 per speaker rather than the 1 in the Elipsa) and overall is terrific even at low level listening ie 15 on the pre amp. . The Wilson and SF speakers that I have heard all have terrific imaging, nice midrange and tweeters, both have a unique design. I reject the notion that sonus faber is all show (good looks) and no go (lack of performance). Serge I do not think it is fair for you to compare your monitors (SF auditor and GM) or the Cremona's to the Wilson speakers you have had in your house. The better comparison would be the Elipsa vs Sophia .

Last edited by 1KW; 04-01-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Ivan's answer is very interesting because it points out things that are often forgotten :
- Awards don't mean much. At the end, your ears only will have to be "rewarded"
- Emotion is the key word here. No matter the frequency range and power ratings : we need to be moved
- Price should not be the determining factor.
A 20k speaker could move us more than a 40k or even a 100k one.
- At this level, all products are in a high quality dimension.
Just let your ears AND your soul be the judge.

Thanks Ivan for reminding us these important facts.
Jerome
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Some of the comments on here :confused-25::confused-25::confused-4::confused-4::confused-28:
Our of respect to all, I am just going to

Last edited by Uberbrown; 04-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Closed Thread