Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Default 8 Year Old 4B - I have to share this - it made my day

December, 2009

Bryston Customer Feedback 8 Year Old 4B

Bryston owner for 8 years finally joined up:
Today at 04:45 PM

"Hey everyone,

I'm new to this Forum. I've been lurking here for a pretty good while and feel a bit outclassed, audio-wise, by this forum. I got my start with a small Pioneer receiver and awful speakers in the late 70's. In early 1984, I upgraded to an all Yamaha system consisting of:

Yamaha 100x2 Intergrated Amp,Yamaha CD-2 CD player (purchased in March of '84), Yamaha EQ, Yamaha Tuner, Yamaha DirectDrive Turntable with Ortofon OM-10 cartridge, Yamaha dual head Cassette Deck, Yamaha NS-1000 speakers

Why did I choose Yamaha? Well, back then, there were no good audio stores here. The local audio store carried Kenwood, Nakamichi, Yamaha and Bang & Olufsen and Polk and ESS Speakers. I was cluelessly happy with my audio system for years. In the mid 90's I moved up to KEF Q70 speakers. The impetus to get a different speaker from the NS-1000 was that the lovely wife didn't like the wide footprint of the Yamaha's. During the speaker auditions, I listened to a variety of KEF's and other speakers up to 10K a pair. Due to budgetary reason's, the "point of diminishing returns" made the pick the KEF's which I still use. Later on, the Yamaha Integrated Amp got tired and after nuking my KEF Tweeters, twice, I bought a big Velodyne 15 in powered Subwoofer, which is still in the system.

After nuking and replacing my KEF tweeters for a third time, a friend that I work with suggested that I borrow his Bryston (that was powering a Wilson center channel speaker) in Mono mode. My friend has a pair of the big Thiel's and Goldmund monoblocks driving them. He also owns a Proton 3 channel amp along with a Spectal Imaging amp and CD player. By this time, my audio store was carrying Parasound, Adcom, Conrad Johnson and maybe McIntosh. I took home a Parasound PH850 pre-amp and the Parasound 200 watt/ch amp (I don't remember which the model number) and I borrowed my friends Bryston. It was a 4B that was approved as a THX amp. I hated the sound of the Parasound amp. Switched the Parasound amp out with the Bryston and was immedialte FLOORED at how good the Bryston sounded. Unbelievable!!

Even though I work in a High Tech field, for a high Tech company, I've been a musician for 40 years. Starting out with piano and eventually playing Tuba. I've held the principal Tuba chair in the Orchestra that I'm in since September of 1978. The Symphony typically has 6 classical and 3 pops concerts a season. Guest Artists that I've performed with have included Bevery Sills, Yehudi Menuhin, Isaac Stern, Marilyn Horne, Dave Brubeck (twice), Peter Nero, Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Kathleen Battle, Jane Bodle and Craig Shulman from Broadway, the lady that does "The Little Mermaid" voice for Disney, Amy Grant, The Moody Blues and others.

I bought my 4B-ST in September of 2001 in Franklin, TN. I still use the Parasound as my pre-amp and I still use the KEF Q70s and the big Velodyne for my sub. The Velodyne doesn't do much, since the 4B does such a great job of powering the system. I no longer use my turntable and I'm now on my 4th CD player. I'm currently using a Denon DCM-390.

Since I have the "best seat in the house" at Symphony Concerts, sitting next to the 3 trombones, I'm well aware of what live music sounds like. The Bryston 4B-ST makes me happy with the music that it provides. It's truly the best money I've ever spent on audio, bar none. I love the soundstage width and depth. I like that I can hear that not all the french horns may hit the big notes at EXACTLY the same time. I love how the pizzacato runs in Telarc's Time Warp - Love Theme from Superman run from the cellos all the way up through the violins and back with complete even ness through the mid range.

My music collection consists of around 500 cds and are fairly equally split between Rock and Roll, Jazz and Classical. My 2 benchmark CD's are Telarc's "Pictures at an Exhibition" with the Cleveland Orchestra (the 1st cd I purchased) and Alan Parson Project "I Robot". CD purchase number 2.

I eventually plan on getting a Bryston pre-amp to drive the 4B-ST. My Bryston 4B-ST continues to provide hours of musical enjoyment and I'm very glad for that. I also enjoy getting a glimpse into the rarefied air of high end audio that's here.

HsvHeelFan"
Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Well, I hope he doesn't borrow the Musical Fidelity Titan from anyone. Just kidding James. There is no doubt in my mind anyone would find the 4B ST a big step up from any budget oriented integrated and depending on the synergy of his KEF Q70 with the rest of the gear could also find a 4B a better match for his speakers vs a dozen other serious amps out there. It all boils down to synergy and personal preference of what they think sounds closer to real music.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-16-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Yes I love it though when someone who is exposed to live sound at this level responds to our products this way.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 12-16-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Here's another one I am extremely proud of!

http://violaav.com/images/Brystonarticle.pdf
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM

^ I don't think Bryston or PMC could receive a more honorary endorsement... He is the authority on all things Mahler.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Hi All,

I heard a pair of 4B ST with B&W and really sound better than any other power at this price point (I dont heard all the powers, only the more used, McIntosh, Rotel, Nad, )
Rubén