AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Hi Leonardas! You are on a PC and I am on a MAC. But, IP is IP. My suggestion is that you grab your ip address used for the MB100 and launch the disk. For example, on my MAC I would nav to the main menu: GO > Connect to Server. In case, smb://192.168.x.xxx

This will create a pop up where you can select photos or music. Choose music. Once there, you can sift through the data and granularly delete the content you wish to recreate. Make sense?

I would avoid using the sync tool. A cleaner and more controlled option is to directly drop your data into the music folder. The Atonomics software is intelligent to cache and catalog the data. Give it a few minutes. Boom!

####

Couple of thoughts before you go hacking away.

1. Power down the unit: use the best practices approach outlined in the McIntosh user manual
2. Power up the unit: use the best practices approach outlined in the McIntosh user manual
3. Check to make sure you are using the latest Autonomics software/firmware. To check this, access the MB100 GUI via the ip [determine DHCP or Static].

If you are not using the latest OS/firmware, go through the process first. This may resolve your issues.
When I click on the music folder I just see 3 folders:

_import
playlist
sample music.
The music I imported using the media sync tool is not shown.
I did check for firmware updates and it says I have the latest version.

Leonard
Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardas View Post
When I click on the music folder I just see 3 folders:

_import
playlist
sample music.
The music I imported using the media sync tool is not shown.
I did check for firmware updates and it says I have the latest version.

Leonard
You can, if you like, rename '_import' to Music. Or leave it. I gather you connected a device to one of the inputs at the rear of the MB100, yes? When you import, the Autonomics software will designate a naming for the means the music was collected at a local level.

You are in the right place. Explore within the '_import' folder but do so with reasonable caution.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
You can, if you like, rename '_import' to Music. Or leave it. I gather you connected a device to one of the inputs at the rear of the MB100, yes? When you import, the Autonomics software will designate a naming for the means the music was collected at a local level.

You are in the right place. Explore within the '_import' folder but do so with reasonable caution.
Yes, I noticed I missed a few CDs so I ripped them to the PC and put them on a USB thumb drive. Then I imported them using the USB port on the back. Only the music I imported through the USB port is showing up.

Leonard
Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Only the music I imported through the USB port is showing up.

Leonard

You might want to allow the system to catch up. There is another MB100 post I created showing you photos and text instructions on how to use the MB100 to re-scan for media.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Default My MB100 music has drop outs.

Quote:
You might want to allow the system to catch up. There is another MB100 post I created showing you photos and text instructions on how to use the MB100 to re-scan for media.
I can't seem to find your post on how to re-scan the media.

I see you replaced the hard drive with a SSD on yours. Does that mean I could remove the hard drive and plug it into my PC to read it? If so, then I could delete the music and recopy it directly from my drive to the MB100 drive.
My PC has a SSD. Do you think the momentary drop outs I'm hearing would be resolve by adding more memory, as you did?

Leonard
Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I can't seem to find your post on how to re-scan the media.

I see you replaced the hard drive with a SSD on yours. Does that mean I could remove the hard drive and plug it into my PC to read it? If so, then I could delete the music and recopy it directly from my drive to the MB100 drive.
My PC has a SSD. Do you think the momentary drop outs I'm hearing would be resolve by adding more memory, as you did?

Leonard
Hi Leonard,

Couple of things:

#1. You are welcome to PM me. The MB100 can be a challenge. I can help you through this!
#2. How to re-scan your media: MB100 caching and cataloging.
#3. I strongly discourage that you remove any of your drives without a disaster and recovery plan. If you make the slightest of error, your done. You will need to reach-out to McIntosh and Autonomics. This will void your warranty.

But yes, in answer to your question, by bumping the on board RAM from 2GB to 8GB [2x4GB] C9, still looking for a pair of CL6 and replacing the drives with two Pro-level SSDs did transform the unit.

In order to achieve this, when the MB100 arrived, I didn't power the unit on, I immediately mirrored bit for bit the OEM drives within the MB100 to the SSDs. I set aside the OEM MB100 drives into antistatic bags as well as the RAM.

If you are not technically savvy, I would hit up a friend to do this for you. To mirror the bit for bit, I purchased a special device, not software. You can not just copy the data [it doesn't work, I tried it], it's a bit more in-depth.

#4. There is a way for you to telnet into the device and access the terminal mode and actually reset the unit back to factory defaults WITHOUT REMOVING ANY OF YOUR DRIVES! I believe this is your ideal option. Go here: MB100 reformat drive/Reset

#5. While we're at it, MB100 BIOS Screen instructions + photos

Last edited by Golucid; 04-06-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Leonard,

Couple of things:

#1. You are welcome to PM me. The MB100 can be a challenge. I can help you through this!
#2. How to re-scan your media: MB100 caching and cataloging.
#3. I strongly discourage that you remove any of your drives without a disaster and recovery plan. If you make the slightest of error, your done. You will need to reach-out to McIntosh and Autonomics. This will void your warranty.

But yes, in answer to your question, by bumping the on board RAM from 2GB to 8GB [2x4GB] C9, still looking for a pair of CL6 and replacing the drives with two Pro-level SSDs did transform the unit.

In order to achieve this, when the MB100 arrived, I didn't power the unit on, I immediately mirrored bit for bit the OEM drives within the MB100 to the SSDs. I set aside the OEM MB100 drives into antistatic bags as well as the RAM.

If you are not technically savvy, I would hit up a friend to do this for you. To mirror the bit for bit, I purchased a special device, not software. You can not just copy the data [it doesn't work, I tried it], it's a bit more in-depth.

#4. There is a way for you to telnet into the device and access the terminal mode and actually reset the unit back to factory defaults WITHOUT REMOVING ANY OF YOUR DRIVES! I believe this is your ideal option. Go here: MB100 reformat drive/Reset

#5. While we're at it, MB100 BIOS Screen instructions + photos
My dealer found out the secret for removing the hidden music that I synced over. Simply remove the music from the folder you synced to on your PC and re-sync. I just tried it and it worked!! I have now created a new music folder in the main music folder and am copying the music manually into the folder. So far it seems to be working perfectly. I'm now playing one of the CDs I copied over to see if it has any drop outs.

I bought a hard drive cloning device and cloned the drive from my MS750. Recently when I added music to the MS750 the new music would cause the MS750 to freeze when playing. I put the cloned drive in the MS750 and it restored it to like new response. I decided to trade it in on a MB100 while it was working good, as I didn't know if the power supply or motherboard would have issues in the future. I built a PC from parts and my wife still uses it everyday, so I do have some PC knowledge. I put a SSD in it which really helped performance. For now I will not touch the drive in the MB100 as long as it's not having any more drop outs. I don't want to void the warranty.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the MB100.

Leonard
Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
My dealer found out the secret for removing the hidden music that I synced over. Simply remove the music from the folder you synced to on your PC and re-sync. I just tried it and it worked!! I have now created a new music folder in the main music folder and am copying the music manually into the folder. So far it seems to be working perfectly. I'm now playing one of the CDs I copied over to see if it has any drop outs.

I bought a hard drive cloning device and cloned the drive from my MS750. Recently when I added music to the MS750 the new music would cause the MS750 to freeze when playing. I put the cloned drive in the MS750 and it restored it to like new response. I decided to trade it in on a MB100 while it was working good, as I didn't know if the power supply or motherboard would have issues in the future. I built a PC from parts and my wife still uses it everyday, so I do have some PC knowledge. I put a SSD in it which really helped performance. For now I will not touch the drive in the MB100 as long as it's not having any more drop outs. I don't want to void the warranty.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the MB100.

Leonard
Congrats that everything is working flawlessly!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Congrats that everything is working flawlessly!
What cloning device did you use? I will probably clone the drive in the future to be safe.

Leonard
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
What cloning device did you use? I will probably clone the drive in the future to be safe.

Leonard

StarTech.com USB to IDE SATA Standalone HDD Hard Drive Duplicator Dock