AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Jerome, it's very simple really. There are only a few things we can't or at least shouldn't upgrade, our parents, spouses and kids. Everything else is meant to be tasted, explored and enjoyed. That Shindo makes me forget about the gear while I am completely absorbed by and lost in the music is true. Does that really mean I shouldn't explore up the ladder of success I've had with it?

Should one taste one bottle of wine and never taste anything else? If you love escargot, are you going to eat it and nothing but?? If you love the French Riviera, are you always going to vacation there?

The fact that I am so much impressed with Shindo that I am dreaming of moving as high up that sonic ladder as I can is a testament to the fact that it is special (to me). I could and would have walked away and tried something else just as easily. I don't and I won't. I may have 2 or 3 or more various setups, even in the same room just to play but Shindo will be part of my collection as long as I can afford it and it will get lots of play time.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post

I might add that once you have decided that the Shindo sound is the one that you want, it is very natural to want to move "up" the line.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone "upgrading" from Shindo to another brand of gear. Not saying that it hasn't happened... I just have not heard of it.

Cheers,
Stephen
I've recently been very very impressed by an AYRE KX-R preamplifier.
However, one would need to 'torture me' in order to accept to sell my Monbrison v1 preamp. Or maybe only against a Vosne-Romané
A SHINDO preamp is a keeper in a great sounding system.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
I've recently been very very impressed by an AYRE KX-R preamplifier.
However, one would need to 'torture me' in order to accept to sell my Monbrison v1 preamp. Or maybe only against a Vosne-Romané
A SHINDO preamp is a keeper in a great sounding system.
I've owned the KX-R preamp along with McIntosh C500P and much more affordable Lamm LL2 Deluxe. The KX-R was the clear winner when it came to all things hifi wise. When it came to actual "music" I all too often found myself much more involved and enjoying the all tubed Lamm and sold the KX-R and Mcintosh. Shindo Monbrison and Masseto that I have experienced so far, at least in combination with Shindo amp, take that concept of deep listening and being moved by and engaged by the music to a whole new level.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerome, it's very simple really. There are only a few things we can't or at least shouldn't upgrade, our parents, spouses and kids. Everything else is meant to be tasted, explored and enjoyed. That Shindo makes me forget about the gear while I am completely absorbed by and lost in the music is true. Does that really mean I shouldn't explore up the ladder of success I've had with it?

Should one taste one bottle of wine and never taste anything else? If you love escargot, are you going to eat it and nothing but?? If you love the French Riviera, are you always going to vacation there?

The fact that I am so much impressed with Shindo that I am dreaming of moving as high up that sonic ladder as I can is a testament to the fact that it is special (to me). I could and would have walked away and tried something else just as easily. I don't and I won't. I may have 2 or 3 or more various setups, even in the same room just to play but Shindo will be part of my collection as long as I can afford it and it will get lots of play time.
Serge : Good Post !
Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Jerome,

I might add that once you have decided that the Shindo sound is the one that you want, it is very natural to want to move "up" the line. And yes Matt makes this an easy and enjoyable process. It is always said that each move in the pre amp line just gives you "more" of the same Shindo sound.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone "upgrading" from Shindo to another brand of gear. Not saying that it hasn't happened... I just have not heard of it.

Cheers,
Stephen
So do I my friend and yes, you're absolutely right, this is quite a Testimony !
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM

We find all around the world people who adopt a brand to change it no never...
see Linn, Jadis, Conrad, Macintosh, Audioresearch etc etc
The United Kingdom is stuffed with people who had only Naim gear during all their life....

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.
Fair question. Here's my progression.

I started with a Montille amp - which I found by chance on Audiogon from a guy living near my house. That little amp made me say WOW!

Through Matt at PitchPerfect, I got my hands on an Auriges-L preamp. The combination made me say: DOUBLE WOW!

It sounded great, but I was committed to the SET route (the Montille was just an amp I could not resist buying.) Within a few weeks, Matt announced a trade-up Cortese and I was on it in a second.

The Cortese made me say #$%^& QUADRUPLE WOW! I had not only reached the top of my deliciousness scale, I had gone past it and into unknown territory.

I could have been happy with my setup of Auriges and Cortese, but it nagged me not to have a Shindo phono stage in the preamp - one less box and set of cables. Hence the Monbrison.

The Monbrison + Cortese = #$%^& QUADRUPLE WOW! with cherry on top.

I can say with confidence that I have exactly want I want and what I need. My outrageously long listening hours and the fact that I am playing previously unplayable records are all the hard evidence I need.

The time will probably come when I decide to upgrade to a Masseto preamp - but not because I need it, just because I can ... and boys like their toys.

In terms of amp, I believe that the Cortese will stay with me as a main amp for a loooooooong time. It may very well be my last amp. Why? Because it has a sound signature that seems custom made for my tastes.

We can revisit this thread in a few years, but I believe that you will still find me with a Shindo system and - quite possibly - the same Cortese I am playing now.

Alberto
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.
Hey Jérôme,

I find that, if I look over my records, customers build up their system over many years - starting with the preamp. Then appropriate A23 or Shindo cables, a Shindo amp, possible accessories (Mr. T, etc), Step up transformers, so on and so forth. So before they get too carried away with upgrading the one piece of gear, they end up with augmenting what they already have with additional components to bring out the best in their original purchase.

For example, Serge is maximizing the peformance of his new Masseto with the A23 step up and EMT cartridge. This would make more sense than moving up to a Vosne Romanee and plugging a basic denon 103 into the built in step up of the VR. So, it's these subtle details I recommend, before considering drastic changes.

Of course, a Vosne Romanee with the A23 step up and EMT would be sweet.

It's not too often that someone quickly moves up the line. When they do, it's usually the preamp, unless there was a change in their speakers that would require the use of a different amp- or if they were looking for a different flavor.

-Matt
Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Matt, Alberto,
I get your points.
Your upgrade route is pretty different than the one followed by customers of many other brands.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I must admit, if i were getting 100% trade up on my gear, I would be upgrading at every opportunity I could