AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marten Loudspeakers

Marten Loudspeakers Sweden's Best

Old 06-12-2012, 01:21 PM

I don't know for sure, but I would think the hardwood floor would help the bass response from a down-firing woofer.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM

It's hard to compare them directly to other speakers besides what I've heard in that rig before.

Smooth but revealing. You hear everything but there isn't any harshness. Large soundstage...great imaging. They also sound great from anywhere in the room. As for the bass response, there's a knob on the back to help you tune it to the room. When tuned correctly, it's very powerful without any boom.

As for the downward firing port, I wouldn't be concerned. Unless a port is right up against a wall and wasn't designed to be, it's nothing to worry about. Some like to make a bigger thing out of it than it really is.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 06-13-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
It's hard to compare them directly to other speakers besides what I've heard in that rig before.

Smooth but revealing. You hear everything but there isn't any harshness. Large soundstage...great imaging. They also sound great from anywhere in the room. As for the bass response, there's a knob on the back to help you tune it to the room. When tuned correctly, it's very powerful without any boom.

As for the downward firing port, I wouldn't be concerned. Unless a port is right up against a wall and wasn't designed to be, it's nothing to worry about. Some like to make a bigger thing out of it than it really is.
That's exactly what happens with my Coltrane IIs. They can be placed very near the back wall and the knob helps with the tuning. I am loving its sound. Very revealing without being very fatiguing

howie
Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou

That's exactly what happens with my Coltrane IIs. They can be placed very near the back wall and the knob helps with the tuning. I am loving its sound. Very revealing without being very fatiguing

howie
Congrats Howie. Your system looks awesome. I am glad you like those beautiful speakers.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post

Thanks Mike for your input. I'm going to check these out. They look really nice. I'm wondering if my Luxman 590AX has enough juice to control the bass.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM

John...looking forward to your impressions. This is one speaker I am interested in. The other nore likely candidate is the Rockport Mira 2s. Please let us know what your thoughts are when you give them a listen
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Thanks Mike for your input. I'm going to check these out. They look really nice. I'm wondering if my Luxman 590AX has enough juice to control the bass.
Bring it with you when you demo them.

The dynamics from W4S 500 watt monos was to die for, but they also sounded good paired with Carver's new tube monos.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 PM

Default World-Premieres-by-Marten

Innerworld Audio - World Premieres by Marten
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
John...looks like you have added the Djangos to your signature line. Any thoughts on how this speaker is sounding to you with the Luxman integrated? Thx
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
John...looks like you have added the Djangos to your signature line. Any thoughts on how this speaker is sounding to you with the Luxman integrated? Thx
Sorry for the delay Cyril.

Well, I received my Djangos on Monday and they have been burning in continiusly 24/7. They arrived double boxed covered in a fabric cloth bag. The owners manual is presented in a notebook ring binder. The speakers foot print is only 11 inches wide and has a depth of about 20 inches so the look is definitely narrow. But lifting them out of the box quickly made me realize that these speaker have some weight to them 104 lbs to be exact. Once set up it took my eyes a little while to adjust to the narrowness since my Tannoy Canterbury's were 53 inches wide. Since I owned the Tannoys for eight months compared to my previous speaker before that the Hansen Audio V2 princes I will compared it to that since I owned those for 3 years as well as the Tannoys being a different animal. Plus the fact that a lot of the Django advertisement boast that this is a $30,000 speaking selling for $15,000 and the Hansens sell for $39,000.

Ok the touch, look, and workmanship are A1, compared to the Hansens they are almost as nice but I give the nod to the V2. Weight wise the V2 is twice as heavy and is made of a whole bunch of composite matrix material while the Django is made of MDF (you wouldn't know it, if you saw the Django). The Django tweeter and midrange are ceramic drivers while the Hansens are lamented cone drivers. Just listening to the mid range and tweeter for 2 1/2 days the nod goes to the Django (smooth mid range). Bass drivers are Aluminum (three 8" drivers) compared to Hansens one 10" lamented cone woofer driver). Lets just say this Django eats Hansens lunch when it comes to bass. I'm not bashing Hansen but my ears are.

I'm running the Django with the Luxman 590 AX 30W 8 ohms and 60W 4 ohms. All I have to say is the Luxman still has balls even though the Django is a 89 sensitivity into 6 ohms speaker. But being the power hog that I am I will have to hear a higher power class A amp someday for the effortless effect. But that will have to wait as my next venture will be to replace my Wavelength Cosecant V3. It's no slouch but a lot has changed in the dac arena in the last 3 years.

Ok the bass is authoritative and extremely tight and goes extremely low. If you don't like a deep tight bass you're not going to like these speakers because they rock big time. They have switch on the back to control the bass. 1,2,3, selection without the numbers. 3 was to much for my room but 2 is just right for curling the hair up on the back of my neck.

The mid range is to die for very open and neutral sounding with a lot of detail the best my ears have heard (not fatiguing at all). I'm loving the Accuton ceramic drivers big time. I keep hearing stuff behind me must be the speaker depth front to back.

So is this a $30,000 speaker selling for $15,000 not really more like a $39,000 speaker selling for $15,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (29.9 KB, 117 views)
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Last edited by JohnThomas; 07-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.