AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 AM

Well - I'd keep the C52 (obviously) so basically the only change would be the source. I'd pass the Linn through the same DAC as the MCT 450 - basically the question is if the source from a hard disc - Linn via C52 equals the MCT via C52.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Well - I'd keep the C52 (obviously) so basically the only change would be the source. I'd pass the Linn through the same DAC as the MCT 450 - basically the question is if the source from a hard disc - Linn via C52 equals the MCT via C52.

That should sound fine, the DAC is probably the more important piece of the puzzle. As for the DAC, you can always try it both ways, compare the DAC in the Majik to the C52 and see what you prefer. For data storage, using your computer will certainly work, your best bet in the long run is a NAS with enough horsepower to run something like Minimserver. This will make for more convenient storage and you don't have to leave your computer running or tied up acting as a server, and you can configure for RAID and a backup to a separate drive to secure your data. It doesn't have to be a huge investment, you can be up and running with 6tb for under $500.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaracer1 View Post
I have a Majik.I have been running J river as the server from my laptop.As long as I set it up and link it,leave everything on it works great. If I turn anything off then next time I try to play a song all bets are off.
As soon as I have the money I am switching to a server ,hard drive in the box unit,like a Lumin or Aurender. Probably the Aurender at this point.

Vegaracer1, have you thought about just adding a NAS? This would solve your problem as well.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Vegaracer1, have you thought about just adding a NAS? This would solve your problem as well.
Yes, thank you for your reply. I have a nice p.c I built for that purpose but have not finished setting it up. I have so many demands on my time(most self imposed) that the idea of turn key is appealing. I also have to setup my network properly and this will require me to learn how.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Is it really no loss in quality over a good Transport/DAC combination (I use McIntosh MCT 450 via C52 for digital)...
From my experience, not only yes, but better. I was totally resistant to a Linn unit over a new cd/transport combo or player, but I could not ignore the sound. Over the course of several months my local dealer a-b'd the Linn Akurate DS with the best from McIntosh and Audio Research. To my ears, the Akurate DS won every time. I actually ended up with the new Klimax DS with the Katalyst upgrade and I have not looked back. It just plain floored me.

Terry
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Really not an easy step to take - and what to do with all the CDs... I am really unsure about this - but then again one needs to move on at some point...
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Really not an easy step to take - and what to do with all the CDs... I am really unsure about this - but then again one needs to move on at some point...
The CD storage is quite small compared to all the other component boxes we store..
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

I do like the sound of the Linn gear. And I have a pair of hard drives coming so I can work on my network/server systems. I still also really like the Aurender setup complete withe the Conductor app.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I have a Majik.I have been running J river as the server from my laptop.As long as I set it up and link it,leave everything on it works great. If I turn anything off then next time I try to play a song all bets are off.
As soon as I have the money I am switching to a server ,hard drive in the box unit,like a Lumin or Aurender. Probably the Aurender at this point.
Just trying to show another option.

Quote:
I do like the sound of the Linn gear. And I have a pair of hard drives coming so I can work on my network/server systems. I still also really like the Aurender setup complete withe the Conductor app.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:42 PM

... say, anyone compared Linn Majik to McIntosh MB 50?