AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Upsampling + interpolation doesn't increase the true resolution of the source. It does interpolate between the source data points and adds extra calculated samples. If the over sampling rate is an integer multiple of the source frequency the math is very straight forward.

The biggest impact is it moves the alias frequencies far outside the audio band, allowing for simpler digital and analog reconstruction filters.

I think that is what we hear when we over sample - the filters used by the DAC, not the oversampling process itself.

Tom
+1
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Like shiny TAD R1 Mk2s for example [emoji16][emoji3][emoji38]
Isn't everything from Burmester done in chrome?
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Default Thoughts on up-sampling

Thanks for all your kind comments on my post. Forgot to mention,

I use 4x for 44.1 k and 48 k originals. Sounds best that way on my Yggdrasil.

I am using native for the ‘high res’ content I have.

Still experimenting.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 01-19-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I decided I prefer up-sampling from the Lumin and setting the K01x up-sampling and pcm filter to off. This works well with the 585's DAC which has no settings for up--sampling.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:50 PM

upsampled to DSD or PCM?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I have to use PCM because the 585's DAC does not accept DSD from the Lumin. I find it irritating that Levinson is not developing drivers that will work with Lumin. That said it sounds quite good with PCM!!!!

The K01x will play both formats.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:42 PM

Reviving an old thread. I just got a demo unit Vivaldi + upsampler and was playing with all the settings. I left my black special edition k-01x plugged in so I could compare the improvements. The k-01x is great, but at 3x the retail price the Vivaldi duo should show some improvements. Well, it does, mostly in the vocals being cleaner and more realistic (relatively, both are good). So I decided to mess with some upsampling settings and even fed the esoteric with the dcs upsampler instead of the on-board upsampling. That got things a little closer, but by coax the max coming in was 192 or DSDx1. Then I remembered the Roon nucleus can upsample to 384 to my opticalRendu and see what happens. Long story short things got again a little closer. Hardware upsampling left at 4x and Filter was spldy2, then I set the filter to off which I liked better for unrolled off highs (I think). I’m not sure if I ever did an a/b with Roon up sampling before but if I did maybe I thought esoteric’s alone was fuller and kept with it? Or the filter off with my older cables was harsher? In any case, I thought I had reached the limits of the esoteric. Try Roon up sampling and then hardware upsampling combos, you might be surprised.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:18 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Upsampling + interpolation doesn't increase the true resolution of the source. It does interpolate between the source data points and adds extra calculated samples. If the over sampling rate is an integer multiple of the source frequency the math is very straight forward.

The biggest impact is it moves the alias frequencies far outside the audio band, allowing for simpler digital and analog reconstruction filters.

I think that is what we hear when we over sample - the filters used by the DAC, not the oversampling process itself.

Tom

That's the way I understand it also.
I let my streamer upsample everything to 4Fs.
It sounds really better.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables