AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Ayre KX-R with Wilson Sashas

Wondering how many people have experience with this combo and if so, with which amps.

I'm currently auditioning the KX-R now.

This preamp is a beauty and the sound is incredibly clean, fast and liquid, but unfortunately a little lean and somewhat fatiguing.

Before I give up on it, I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for getting more warmth out of it.

See my sig for equipment list.

Last edited by MadFloyd; 07-30-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: moved equipment to signature
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Not a clue.

Just an heads up... your equipment list is not showing.

Pedro
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM

Maybe I need to post after having modified my sig (i.e. this is a test post...)
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Wondering how many people have experience with this combo and if so, with which amps.

This preamp is a beauty and the sound is incredibly clean, fast and liquid, but unfortunately a little lean and somewhat fatiguing.

Before I give up on it, I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for getting more warmth out of it.

I know that Serge (PCH1) had the KX-R at one point but I believe that was prior to him acquiring his Sasha's. He may have had Sophia's at the time. You might PM him

Jim
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd

Sorry but i don't share your impressions when you say it is a little lean and somewhat fatiguing. I find the kx-r absolutely perfect, without harshness, so quiet i can listen music all day long and it has an incredible dynamic with an amazing bass extension.
A masterpiece.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, Frank.

Let me clarify by saying it sounds lean 'to my ears in my system'. I'm guessing your McIntosh amps are warmer than my Lamms (but that's just a guess). In any case, it's more about system synergy than any fault in the Ayre.

I did not mean to suggest there is any harshness in the Ayre, because there isn't - it's very clean.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd
Thanks for the reply, Frank.

Let me clarify by saying it sounds lean 'to my ears in my system'. I'm guessing your McIntosh amps are warmer than my Lamms (but that's just a guess). In any case, it's more about system synergy than any fault in the Ayre.

I did not mean to suggest there is any harshness in the Ayre, because there isn't - it's very clean.
Yes, you're right when you mention Synergy, even if different gears are mixed.
For me, music becomes fatiguing when the basses are too low, and the highs too harshness. I can confirm that's not the case with the kx-r + WA Sashas and the big Mc

Frank

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Hi, how long have u had the kxr powered up? A few days or a few hours? What power cords/interconnects? I had a kxr on loan with my mxrs. Really liked it but went with a nagra pll, tubes adding a touch more wetness on the notes, now that i have all tranparent cabling...maybe i should try the kxr again...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM

I've had the KX-R since Friday evening. First critical listen was Saturday, then Sunday - at which point I switched back to the Pass XP-30 (which I'm also auditioning). I did switch back to the Ayre Monday night and it did seem a little fuller sounding...

Transparent cabling is next on my list to audition (after the preamp), but at the moment I have PAD cabling which I'm guessing (but not sure) is warmer than Transparent.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Hi what model on pad? I've owned sevaral over the years (various venastus, dominus ferrox, 20th anniversary, proteus provectus praesto) its a great cable for sure! Have mostly transarent ref xl mm2 or ref mm mm2 now...i would not say one warmer than the other, i do hear lower noise floor with transarent, maybe more bloom on purist. Both are very very good...and system matching key...

I bet that ayre needs 3 days or or so on to really strut its stuff...just wanted to make sure you were listening warmed up....