AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-11-2020, 05:15 PM

Default B&W Change

Hello All,

First time caller, long time listener. Hope everyone had a happy holiday season. I was hoping I may be able to get a little friendly advice to maximize my return on investment in terms of happiness lol. Currently, I have a pair of 602.5 S3’s powered by an Arcam FMJ A19. I’ve always wanted upgrade to a pair of 700’s. And by 700’s, I mean the older 700’s. A pair of 704’s to be precise. They are kinda tough to come by and frankly they are always overpriced in my opinion.

So, I would be happiest with a well kept pair of 704’s, but I’m starting to wonder if I should just go with a pair of CDM7 NTs or CDM9 NTs. They are well priced.

Any thoughts on how the old 704 stacks up to the CDM7or9 NT?

Also, if I went the CDM route, I could buy a nice sub to accompany. ORRRR, I could just buy a nice sub with the 602.5’s.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers.

HGW
Old 01-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Default B&W Change

Look for a pair of 703’s. The 703 has two woofers while the 704 has only one. It’s a great sounding speaker especially for the price. I absolutely love the mids and highs on the 703.

You should be able to pick up a pair for $1000 to $1500.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Look for a pair of 703’s. The 703 has two woofers while the 704 has only one. It’s a great sounding speaker especially for the price. I absolutely love the mids and highs on the 703.

You should be able to pick up a pair for $1000 to $1500.
That’s exactly my price point. I would love the 703’s but can’t find ANY. Would any of you kind folks point me in the direction of a good place where B&W’s are sold used, other than Ebay? I would really appreciate it. Any suggestions on buying used?

If someone has a pair of 703’s they would like to part ways with I am open ears. Cheers.

Many thanks.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Give USAudiomart a loo
Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 PM

So I went with a pair of B&W 704’s in EXCELLENT condition. No dings, scratches, etc., at a decent price. I looked and looked for 703’s but I could not find a suitable pair, and the few that I could find were in poor condition or damaged unfortunately.

So, 704’s it is. I listen stereo music. I like rock and roll. I like ballsy music. I am a little concerned the 703’s might not have the balls I want (despite the 704’s will be a nice upgrade from the 602.5’s with the additional woofers).

So, should I throw in a sub? Remember, I like stereo music. Would a sub sound ok thrown into a stereo mix? Does the sub have to be a B&W sub? I have heard the Logan Martin Dynamo 700W 10in and I kind of like it. Should I stick with a B&W sub? Is it not good to throw in a different manufacturers sub with a pair of B&W’s or any pair of speakers?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Great choice on the 704s. If you like rock, you MUST have a sub for stereo--it is the only way to feel the music (using a euphemism for ballsy, haha). Seriously, a sub is a night and day difference for almost any speaker for rock. The B&W subs are especially easy to pair with B&W speakers via the iPhone app, so I would start there if they are within budget.

I've also done very well with a REL in the past, and they have great subs starting <$1,000. But there you will need a bit of patience and trial and error to pair them properly so that you get the feel without the sub overwhelming the mains.

Rock on!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks! So, I received the 704’s today. They were in beautiful condition, not a scratch on them. I did some inspecting and notice that the tweeter cone and grill got dented via shipment. I compared pictures of the speakers prior to shipment and the tweeter in question was undamaged. So, I now have a pair of 704’s with a damaged tweeter.

Considering the damage likely occurred in transit, I may have recourse against UPS. Whatever the case may be, any recommendations as to how I address this?

Is it tough to replace a 704 tweeter? It would be such a pain in the butt to repackage, re-ship, etc.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Also, what effect on tweeter performance does a dent have on the tweeter?

Any advice would be really really really appreciated.

HGW
Old 01-21-2020, 05:21 AM

you can replace it yourself ,look at youtube if you find a film how to do it.
UPS must pay it i think.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1013 View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback, folks! So, I received the 704’s today. They were in beautiful condition, not a scratch on them. I did some inspecting and notice that the tweeter cone and grill got dented via shipment. I compared pictures of the speakers prior to shipment and the tweeter in question was undamaged. So, I now have a pair of 704’s with a damaged tweeter.

Considering the damage likely occurred in transit, I may have recourse against UPS. Whatever the case may be, any recommendations as to how I address this?

Is it tough to replace a 704 tweeter? It would be such a pain in the butt to repackage, re-ship, etc.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Also, what effect on tweeter performance does a dent have on the tweeter?

Any advice would be really really really appreciated.

HGW
Sorry for what happened to your 704 tweeter.
Here you can find the service manual for your 704 with part numbers:
http://bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/bw...e#ID_700Series
Tweeter General Assembly is part number ZZ14137. Seems to be in stock in B&W's parts store; retail price USD 104.26.
If in doubt, please contact B&W support via email.

Hope this helped.

Martin
Old 01-21-2020, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I spoke with the B&W support folks today and they couldn’t have been anymore helpful. The rep really took the time to walk me through everything the replacement, etc. and couldn’t have been nicer. Looks like I’ll be able to get this taken care of relatively cheaply. Thanks everyone for the help!!