AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 04-25-2020, 02:19 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Just received my copy in 180gm vinyl. Wax Time produces excellent pressings and I'm looking forward to more from them.

Glenn, eagerly waiting for your extensive review!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Life is beautiful

Erroll Garner - Gemini
Qobuz 24/96

I've always loved Garner.
He sounded fresh, even in his later years like on this album.
The harpsichord is a nice touch.

Recorded in '72.

Bass – Ernest McCarty Jr.
Congas – Jose Mangual
Engineer – Bob Simpson
Percussion – Jimmie Smith
Piano, Harpsichord – Erroll Garner
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-25-2020, 05:24 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Akira Tana - Stars Across The Ocean

Discovered this very good drummer, enjoyable album on Qobuz

His other album listed on Qobuz - Otonowa - on some tracks a very interesting fusion with Japanese traditional instruments

Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser

Last edited by joel_hifi; 08-16-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The Journey
Nick Colionne
Excellent Play and Recording!
Trippin and Rhythm B01B6ZQCEU
Regards,
Jim

Old 04-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Life is beautiful

Erroll Garner - Up In Erroll's Room
Featuring the Brass Bed
Qobuz 24/96

Apart from the sheep sounds - coming from Garner I guess because they're also on his other records but here it is a whole herd! - an agreeable and 'optimistic' album, in the sense it is light, merry and upbeat.

The Erroll Garner Octave Remastered series from Mack Avenue continues its insanely dedicated remastering project with Up in Erroll’s Room, created from intense sessions in November 1967 and that were published the following year. This eighth volume is particular as you can hear Garner’s entourage – Ike Isaacs on double bass, Jimmie Smith on drums and José Mangual on the congas – with a brass section conducted by Don Sebesky, using arrangements improvised by the master. Richard Spencer is also present conducting The Brass Bed, a great group of brass instrumentalists that includes saxophonist Pepper Adams, trumpeter Bernie Glow and tuba player Don Butterfield. These collaborations amplify the musicality of the themes that are played, resounding like dynamic punctuation that is often welcome. As always, Erroll Garner reappropriates classics like Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man, Antonio Carlos Jobim’s The Girl from Ipanema and Gershwin’s I Got Rhythm, imprinting his own playing techniques and unbeatable swing upon some of the most recognisable jazz pieces in the world. © Marc Zisman/Qobuz
Old 04-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Flipside
Jeff Lorber
Really nice music in a new direction from vintage Jeff Lorber.
Narada B00079Z9WS
Regards,
Jim

Old 04-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Watercolors
Pat Metheny
Very solid offering!
ECM B000RUIDT8
Regards,
Jim

Old 04-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Old 04-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Bart - Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" is one of the best fusion albums if you care for the genre.
Glenn, we've streamed it (Qobuz 24/96).

It was not entirely our thing.
I remember that I've tried it before, and had come to the same conclusion.
I do realise it's a special album in its genre.

Head Hunters was a pivotal point in Herbie Hancock's career, bringing him into the vanguard of jazz fusion. Hancock had pushed avant-garde boundaries on his own albums and with Miles Davis, but he had never devoted himself to the groove as he did on Head Hunters. Drawing heavily from Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, and James Brown, Hancock developed deeply funky, even gritty, rhythms over which he soloed on electric synthesizers, bringing the instrument to the forefront in jazz. It had all of the sensibilities of jazz, particularly in the way it wound off into long improvisations, but its rhythms were firmly planted in funk, soul, and R&B, giving it a mass appeal that made it the biggest-selling jazz album of all time (a record which was later broken). Jazz purists, of course, decried the experiments at the time, but Head Hunters still sounds fresh and vital decades after its initial release, and its genre-bending proved vastly influential on not only jazz, but funk, soul, and hip-hop.

© Stephen Thomas Erlewine /TiVo
Old 04-26-2020, 02:02 PM
Life is beautiful

We then streamed more of him:

Herbie Hancock - Future Shock
Qobuz 24/96

'Rockit', the hit single was played every dance party when I was 18-19 years old.
We all 'scratched' LPs afterwards.

Hancock has set quite some trends!